Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Muck brand boots

Anyone use them?

I'm considering purchasing a pair for deer season.

I have two issues

First and most important I suffer from sweaty feet. I gave up on the popular rubber type boots for archery and other hunting seasons because of this.
    No matter what type of sock combo I used, once the boot got sweaty my feet got cold no matter what the temp. 50deg or 15 deg. It didn't matter and it didn't take long. Couple hours tops. For this reason I stuck with leather boots for the last 15+yrs. I'm sick of spending a small fortune on waterproof leather boots that are waterproof for a few seasons. I hunt a lot so they get used often.

Second I do prefer a laced boot just because slip on boots when humping up steep hills or deep snow my feet tend to "swim" around the boot which seems to cause fatigue. It depends on the boot design.

The muck boots I believe are mostly neoprene type material which breaths well. 20 or more years ago I had a couple pair of leather boots that had a neoprene insert.
    Feet stayed warm, dry all day long, so for this reason I'm kicking the muck boot around
    Last edited by God's Country; November 20th, 2009 at 09:13 AM.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Muck brand boots

I purchased a pair of Mucks for a trip to Canada. I needed something warm, tall, and waterproof because of the swamps we'd be hunting. They are warm, extremely light weight, and comfortable. They were awesome for that trip.

I do not, however, like them for hunting Potter. I really like them, but not for the hills of Potter. They offer little ankle support and my feet do "swim" a bit.

I think that although they are a good boot, they will not fit the criteria you have described.

(Monroe County)

Gods country i believe for sweaty feet you need something made out of a high grade Goretex.

Did you wear Wool or cotton sox?

Does Dick's sell Mucks? I'd like to look at them too.

Nyman

(Perry County)

I know that you said that you've tried all kinds of sock combinations, but have you tried socks with polypropelene? I haven't tried layering the polypropelene socks with wool socks (they make the pairs where the first sock you put on is a thin polypropelene liner sock and the 2nd is a heavy wool for warmth) but I've had very good success with merino wool socks that have the polypropelene woven into them. They are difficult to find, but when you're looking at wool socks look at the tag saying what it is made out of, and look for a pair that has polypropelene in them.

I've never worn the rubber boots like you're suggesting, but my immediate thought is that htey probably wouldn't offer much support for hiking the hills of PA, particularly if you're in a rocky area and/or off the beaten path.
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

(Westmoreland County)

I too have sweaty feet. The best advice I can give you is change out of your wet socks (from walking in). I also bought a pair of Muck boots for archery season. I love them and would highly recommend them.

(Lancaster County)

I have Muck boots and also have a problem with sweaty feet. Muck boots will cause your feet to sweat because the bottom is rubber. I'd suggest a goretex boot. I also use wool socks over cotton socks and the grabber toe warmers when it's under 40 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by BRIANT View Post
    I purchased a pair of Mucks for a trip to Canada. I needed something warm, tall, and waterproof because of the swamps we'd be hunting. They are warm, extremely light weight, and comfortable. They were awesome for that trip.

I do not, however, like them for hunting Potter. I really like them, but not for the hills of Potter. They offer little ankle support and my feet do "swim" a bit.

I think that although they are a good boot, they will not fit the criteria you have described.
    I think it's all in fit of the boot. The rubber type boots I owned in the past actually had fair ankle support. They were molded quite well around the ankle and foot. Just couldn't keep my feet dry. I think they were Bone Dry boots. Ironic huh?

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Gods country i believe for sweaty feet you need something made out of a high grade Goretex.

Did you wear Wool or cotton sox?

Does Dick's sell Mucks? I'd like to look at them too.

Nyman
    Cotton Lol! I'm an ice fisherman/cold weather type guy since I was a teen.
    The only time I wear cotton is in the summer.

I'm through with expensive gortex and similar products used in boots.
    Those thin membranes seem too fail way too early. My rain clothing needs to be treated with kid gloves to maintain its integrity. IMO they just don’t have proper longevity. Like I said I hunt a lot and they get used. I even had a pair of hiking boots that were just for hiking and backpacking. I paid well over $200 for them. After a few years they leaked.
    I don’t think I wore them more than a couple dozen times. Probably only 4 or 5 camping trips.

Quote Originally Posted by imp81318 View Post
    I know that you said that you've tried all kinds of sock combinations, but have you tried socks with polypropelene? I haven't tried layering the polypropelene socks with wool socks (they make the pairs where the first sock you put on is a thin polypropelene liner sock and the 2nd is a heavy wool for warmth) but I've had very good success with merino wool socks that have the polypropelene woven into them. They are difficult to find, but when you're looking at wool socks look at the tag saying what it is made out of, and look for a pair that has polypropelene in them.

I've never worn the rubber boots like you're suggesting, but my immediate thought is that htey probably wouldn't offer much support for hiking the hills of PA, particularly if you're in a rocky area and/or off the beaten path.
    Just to be clear my wet feet always seemed to be a result of the non-breathable boots. Once the boot got too wet inside from my socks doing what they're suppose to do ( and my hyper active sweat glands) the wicking would stop and viola....wet feet.

For the record I wear a pair of liner socks, followed by polypropylene, followed by either a wool blend sock or a heavy pair of virgin wool socks depending on weather.

The reason I'm considering the Muck boots (as I've pointed out) is I'm done with so called waterproof leather that isn't or not for long. The Muck boots seem to be mostly breathable and my hope is they will wick the moisture out of the boot properly much like leather does.

I’m not too concerned about the ankle support provided the boot fits properly. I’m more concerned about the foot staying put in the boot.

Currently I’m wearing a pair of Cabela’s “duck” type laced boots. Since they have a rubber type lower much like the Muck boots (and I don’t seem to have any issues other than I would prefer them to a bit more water proof) I’m hoping I can live them.

Hey thanks for all the replies thus far.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Chester County)

Can't speak to the boots but have you ever tried bamboo socks? Seriously, they are awesome at keeping feet dry and are cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by Spishack357 View Post
    Can't speak to the boots but have you ever tried bamboo socks? Seriously, they are awesome at keeping feet dry and are cheap...

No I haven't, but I'll look into them.
    Again in my instance I don't believe my socks are the issue, but rather boots that don't breathe, and become saturated which inevitably get my socks wet.
    FUCK BIDEN

Hmmm two fellow sweaty feet sufferers with different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by runningdeer View Post
    I too have sweaty feet. The best advice I can give you is change out of your wet socks (from walking in). I also bought a pair of Muck boots for archery season. I love them and would highly recommend them.
    Your feet stay dry and warm?

Quote Originally Posted by dgm0967 View Post
    I have Muck boots and also have a problem with sweaty feet. Muck boots will cause your feet to sweat because the bottom is rubber. I'd suggest a goretex boot. I also use wool socks over cotton socks and the grabber toe warmers when it's under 40 degrees.
    FUCK BIDEN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast