Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini-14

(Somerset County)

Default Mini-14

Put a deposit on a Ruger Mini-14 on Sat.
    was this a good choice?
    it's the tactical model w/20 rnd clip
    not the AR type
    will prob keep it for a few years then trade up to an AR.

Default Re: Mini-14

Quote Originally Posted by woodust View Post
    was this a good choice?
    it's the tactical model w/20 rnd clip
    not the AR type
    will prob keep it for a few years then trade up to an AR.
    Thats a fine rifle, and you can dress it up with alot of aftermarket parts if you like. it will do the job and thats what counts!
    3%er "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.." -G. K. Chesterton

(Bucks County)

mini 14's are very reliable rifles but they are not tack drivers but it's my understanding ruger improved accuracy on the newer rifles. i like my mini 14 and it's a good complement to my AR's. if you plan on trading up to a AR in the future why not buy a AR now. resale value on mini 14's is not high so you'll probably lose money on any trade even if you sell the mini privately. the price on AR's is back down to pre-obama levels so you should be able to get into a AR for what the mini costs. there are plenty of entry level AR's in the 700-1000 dollar range.

(Somerset County)

Wink Re: Mini-14

The thought of moving up to an AR has crossed my mind.
    the only ones this shop has are a Smith and a DPMS,...Big cost differance!
    I would like to find a Rock River, but no local dealers.
    Chances are,I will keep the mini, AND get an AR anyway!

(Clearfield County)

If you like it, it's a great gun, regardless what someone else might try to tell you.

I like mine. I bought it when Kerry was running for President and I thought I needed something to shoot at the UN troops he was going to bring. Before that I just had hunting rifles and shotguns.

Since then, I've added 2 AR-15s, a S/A M1A, an M1 Garand, Mossberg 590 Tactical something or other, a plethora of revolvers and semi-auto pistols, stacks of ammo and I'm still concerned about the nitwits in DC. And added to my hunting arsenal.

Oh yeah, I picked up a Hi-Point 9mm carbine. It was so darn ugly, I just couldn't resist. I may be missing some, but my point is I think the Mini-14 is a great gun to start the acquisition process.

I tried some cheap-o magazines and wasted the money. Bought some 20 round factory mags and they work great.
    "Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions." G.K. Chesterton

(Indiana County)

I have owned one each of the 180 and 181 series Mini 14's.

Both were dependable, accurate up to a point, not tack drivers by any means, but good enough for 6" steel plates @ 100 yds.

I tired of them due to the mag problems when using anything other than factory mags, which got to be pretty damn expensive during the AWB and are still overpriced today IMO.

If it is what you want in a rifle, buy it. If you are on the fence even a little bit, go with the AR, especially if you are into "goodies" like "Tactical" stuff (which I personally find alot of the tactical stuff out there to be tacky, not tactical, but I digress)... You should be able to find decent prices on one within an hour from where you are at.

If cash is a deciding factor, you can always go with an AR lower for around $125, then an upper or complete kit as cash allows, this would also be a way to get a Rock River that you mentioned since the kit (minus the lower that you would have to buy at a dealer), could be shipped right to your door.

Someone else posted about magazines.....you can buy one factory 20 rounder for the price of three cheapo hi caps. BUY THE FACTORY ones. Most of the aftermarket mags are junk. Don't waste your money.
    Jules

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Re: Mini-14

I've had my mini ranch rifle, post 181 s/n for years and I wouldn't trade it for nothin'. It is rough on brass though, it'll throw your brass quite a distance, and nick and ding it up pretty good. That can be solved by refitting with an adjustable gas block, I have not done that yet to mine but I'm thinking about it. I also have been going to put a Hogue stock on it and I don't know what I'm waiting for. I have never been crazy about the cheap plastic feel of the factory synthetic stock. Only mags I have ever used are the factory 20 rounder, "Law Enforcement Only" ones that I bought before prices went through the roof. Never had a problem feeding. Fun gun at the range and nice to know it's within reach at home should the need arise.

(Lancaster County)

Cope's Distribution has/had the factory mags
    http://www.copesdistributing.net/pro...oducts_id=1149
    http://www.copesdistributing.net/pro...oducts_id=1275

The only aftermarket mag I've found that work are the ProMag steel ones. Don't get the poly mags from them, the feed lips flex when fully loaded.
    Last edited by Coils; November 19th, 2009 at 11:14 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by woodust View Post
    was this a good choice?

<snip>
    Sure, good lookin' rifles. I'd have one if they were more reasonably priced for what they are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast