Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: New reloader

Default New reloader

I'm a licensed Firearm carrier from the state of CT. Getting tired of playing "the ammo hunt" for rounds every time I want to go "play". I've made the decision to start reloading. After months of reading I starting gathering equipment. I'm just unsure where I get the specs for the rounds i'm trying to load. I figured it would all depend on what I want to load, meaning the type of bullets I purchase. I have a Glock .357 Sig, S&W 357 mag Hammer less revolver and I'm saving my pennies for a desert eagle .50 ( I know it's a BIG, expensive gun to shoot and it's too large to carry, but I want one).

I need a good reference for spec all of them. Can someone point me in the right direction.

I'm also stuck on which press to by (as long as it's under $400). Should I buy a "do it all" press. Or are some parts of the reloading process better to do by hand??

Thanks,

cteaglesfan
    Guns are like condoms. It's better to have and not need then to need and not have.

Default Re: New reloader

If you need specs on loads just pick up a reloading manual. I got Modern Reloading Second edition by Richand Lee. It has about any load you would ever want to know about.

As far as a reloader it depends how much you shoot and what kind of shooting you do. If you are looking at extreme accuracy and small quantity I would get a single stage press, probably a RCBS. If you shoot a lot, mostly hanguns get a Turret press or a progressive reloader. Progressives aren't cheap but you can crank out a ton of ammo real fast. Most people recommend Dillon for progressive presses. A Turret press is in the middle. Still able to pump out rounds pretty quick and you can also use it as a single stage press if you want to weigh each charge. I have a Lee and I'm really happy with it. It was cheap but is reliable and makes quality ammo. I would recommend the Lee Classic It's built like a tank and is reasonably priced. I hope this helps.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Thanks a lot bro. I was actually leaning toward the Dillon square deal B, But I wasn't quite sure if that was more than I needed. I didn't do any research on Lee for a press, I will now.
    Just starting out it will make me sleep better measuring each load until i get a technique. So speed or volume isn't really a factor YET. It will be though.

I haven't even started thinking about brass, bullets or what kind of power to by
    There's a lot to this huh??
    Guns are like condoms. It's better to have and not need then to need and not have.

(Jefferson County)

A reloading manual is critical, especially so if you're just starting out. It will give you powder weights and types, and bullet weights, and dimensions, per cartridge. Think of a reloading manual as a recipe book, but one of extremes. If you go by the book you'll cook a nice meal, if you dont - you lose a couple fingers and/or an eye, or you die.

Dillon makes some nice presses, but so do all the others. Dont be afraid to check out Lee, Hornady, RCBS, Lyman, etc, etc, etc..
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Thanks A LOT guys. It's a tough task gathering all of the equipment and all the right info but I think it'll pay off in the end.

(Somerset County)

Buy a Lyman Reloading Handbook. The latest is the 49th edition. It is generally considered to have a great section for the new reloader. Read that a couple of times. Then you can get into the 'recipe section' which has a lot of load data using various bullets (including cast lead) and powders.

You'll get recommendations for RCBS and Dillon. Don't overlook Lyman equipment. I run a mix of Lyman and RCBS.

Dale

(Allegheny County)

cteaglesfan,

This may help ! Get a book called The ABC's of Reloading The Definitive Guide For Novice To Expert. edited by Bill Chevalier. Starting with the basics, this guide will lead the reader through the process of reloading handgun, rifle and shotgun cartridges with ease. Perfect for beginners and a great refresher for experienced reloaders, the book first discusses all the necessary tools and accessories needed to get started, then goes through step-by-step instructions and safety tips for loading metallic cartridges and shotshells. Helpful illustrations guide readers through each step and make the process easy to understand."The ABCs of Reloading" covers all aspects of the hobby, from benchrest loading techniques, to ballistic software, to competition and hunting loads and more. Readers will appreciate how the book makes a complex subject understandable and fun.

It can be found on E-Bay or your local book store for around $20

Until you start reloading try www.ammoengine.com for factory ammo it only lists ammo in stock from mail order companys and stores like Cabela's

HOPE THIS HELPS !

Steeltown

(Berks County)

It looks like you're reloading for handguns only.....same as I do.
    I found that the Lyman manual for pistols is a great one. The concentration is on all pistols rounds. I like it a LOT! It can be found at Cabela's.

I'm using a Lee Anniversary Kit I picked up at Cabelas as well for well under $100. Don't forget a tumbler! That's a must....

The Lee is a single stage....I think I prefer it that way even though I've loaded a few thousand rounds. I don't look at reloading as a chore. I gather supplies during the warmer months & then in Winter head down to my man cave (basement) that has a Vermont stove & French doors looking out into my back yard. It's very relaxing & I find myself doing about a 100 rounds or so before I go to work or when I come home at night. Those 100 rounds here and there really add up fast! I already have enough ammo in 9mm & .40S&W to last me well into the Fall of next year!

One of the BEST things I purchased for the Lee was the "Auto Disk Powder Measure". That thing is balls on accurate on every charge. I've been using Winchester 231 powder through it. I know there are other (and probably better) powders out there for 9mm & .40, but I really like how accurate the pwoder is measured through this.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by cteaglesfan View Post
    I've made the decision to start reloading. After months of reading I starting gathering equipment. I'm just unsure where I get the specs for the rounds i'm trying to load. I figured it would all depend on what I want to load, meaning the type of bullets I purchase.

I need a good reference for spec all of them. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

cteaglesfan
    This thread has just given you the best advice you could get. I'm sure you have read Dave's "sticky", and I'd only emphasize the instruction on getting three books already mentioned "ABC's..", "Lyman 49th", and "Lee's..".

There certainly are other books out there, but you'll get more and better from these - use the rest of your $$ for powder and stuff.

Welcome to PAFOA and to the joys of reloading.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

Thanks a lot guys. I just have to gather my ALL my toys before I start playing.

The ABC's of reloading 8th edition was the first thing I got before ANYTHING else. It's been very helpful. If I have any questions I know exactly who to ask.

I believe this forum is the PERFECT place for those little things that the book doesn't tell you.

Thanks a lot guys