Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Newark gun buyback program ends early after funds run out

I always seem to catch these when they are over. The fates just want me to have that Helwan Brigadier.

Newark gun buyback program ends early after funds run out
    By Sharon Adarlo/The Star-Ledger
    November 13, 2009, 7:30PM
    NEWARK -- After just two days of operation, a gun buyback program in Newark was shut down today because it ran out of money.
    "I didn’t expect this quick turnaround," Essex County Prosecutor Paula Dow said.
    Sharon Adarlo/The Star-Ledger
    Newark police at a news conference today said they collected 339 weapons during a two-day gun buyback program held this week.
    The 339 firearms collected in the 48 hours depleted the $50,000 in funds that were available for the program. The last time Newark held this program, in 2005, it collected 489 weapons over a 2 1/2-month period.
    Dow speculated the reason for the large haul this time was the recession. People were enticed, she said, by the $200 they received for each weapon they turned in.
    In 2005, police were paying $50 for rifles and shotguns, $75 for semi-automatic pistols and revolvers, and $150 for automatic handguns and assault rifles.
    "Is this a success? You tell me and look at it. It’s just two days’ effort," she said during a press conference in the police department’s property room, where the confiscated weapons are being kept.
    The firearms ranged from worn-looking rifles to a pocket-sized .22-caliber Derringer. Several were antiques, one dating to 1812 that required metal balls for ammunition, Newark Police Director Garry McCarthy said. There was also pistol with a 12-inch-long barrel.
    Sharon Adarlo/The Star-Ledger
    A gun collected in the buyback program in Newark.
    The "Gun Amnesty Buyback" program was held Wednesday and Thursday at the Emanuel Christian Church on North Seventh Street. People could bring in a weapon, no questions asked, and pocket $200 per gun with up to three weapons per person, authorities said.
    Additional days were scheduled for this month and next at other city churches.
    The Prosecutor’s Office and the High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas or HIDTA, a federal program, originally provided the money. Dow said the prosecutor’s contribution was taken from forfeiture funds, which were collected from criminal cases.
    Dow said she hopes more funding can be secured for future buybacks. Perhaps as early as next month.
    "This is just another step to stem the tide," McCarthy said. "We don’t know how many lives we have saved with taking these guns off the streets."
    http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/200...ogram_end.html

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Newark gun buyback program ends early after funds run out

At least 3800 lives were saved by taking a black powder rifle, some Bryco-Jennings assault pistols, a S&W Extreme Hunter and a handful of FIE .22 cal single action revolvers off the mean streets. Your children are now safe, Carry on.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

*sniff* must get this sand out of my eyes
    Owner of EMac's Tactical - www.emacstactical.com

In 2005, police were paying $50 for rifles and shotguns, $75 for semi-automatic pistols and revolvers, and $150 for automatic handguns and assault rifles.
    So, I wonder how many automatic handguns they got compared to the number of semi-automatic pistols they got?

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    So, I wonder how many automatic handguns they got compared to the number of semi-automatic pistols they got?
    I caught that too, good question...

(Berks County)

(York County)

thats a shame that some of those antique guns will never see the light of day again. The would be great to have in a collection. No questions asked when you turn in the gun? So a killer could take a murder weapon that he used several years ago to kill someone with, turn it in, get rid of the evidence and get some cash at the same time? It doesn't get much better than that. Great thinking you morons.
    Xbox Live Gamertag: My Tango Sucka

(Delaware County)

We need to post these better on here. I was in the dark this was going on so close to home. First I have 2 broken .22 that are beyond repair and a old shotgun with a bulged barrel(no, I didn't do it). I might also have some brand new pellet guns that need to be turned in. Maybe an airsoft? Sure Ill trade all by broken/parts guns for 200 a piece. Buy myself a nice new shiny AR-15.

(Northumberland County)

im sure they collected a bunch of those "automatic hand guns" but seriously are the people up there brain dead why would you sell any gun for that meesly amount of money you would make more selling them to another gun owner
    If it go's BOOM, I want it

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleStack View Post
    im sure they collected a bunch of those "automatic hand guns" but seriously are the people up there brain dead why would you sell any gun for that meesly amount of money you would make more selling them to another gun owner
    Because its guaranteed, instant, and cash right now. No advertising, no waiting, no haggling....cash money on the spot, right now. The old saying "cash talks"

Some of those people probably didn't think they were worth anything, majority are probably regular gun owners that traded in used guns.

These people (New Jersey) are so stupid they probably don't even realize that that half of their inventory was garbage. And automatic pistols... how many of those were there? And the pistol with a 12 inch barrel....so what? Does that make it more deadly?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast