Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Interesting take on random violence

I was reading through the Philly Inquirer today, which is usually a shit storm of anti-gun garbage, but I was surprised to see an article about the rising murder rate in the city that didn't take an anti-gun spin. Rather, it focused on rising levels of "random" violence.

The below quote pretty much perfectly illustrates why I carry -- bad people do bad things to good people all the time, for no reason whatsoever. Not just the whole mugging/carjacking thing, but simply animals who're out to kill for no reason.

According to the FBI, 14 percent of all homicide victims in 2005 were attacked by strangers. It's these random killings, says Philadelphia counselor, author, and victims' rights advocate Kathleen O'Hara, that are particularly hard for Americans to accept.

"People in this country," she says, "don't want to believe that their precious American dream can be threatened by random violence. They're told that if they do the right thing and pay their taxes, nothing bad is going to happen. I think that's why people often attach shame and stigma to victims - because they must have been doing something wrong."
    Full article: http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local...ndom_call.html

I don't know how someone, even an anti-gunner, can read something like that and not want to carry.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Interesting take on random violence

"There are no victims, only volunteers"

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    "There are no victims, only volunteers"
    There are several more terms being bandied about. Here are a few from John Farnam/or his associates.

VBC - (Victim By Choice) This could also be called the ostrich effect.

VBB - (Victim by Belief) Those whose faulty personal belief systems enable
    predators to effortlessly, continuously take advantage of them.

VBS - (Victim by Stupidity) They never consider the consequences of (1) going
    to stupid places, (2) associating with stupid people, (3) doing stupid things.
    Never underestimate the value of early training.

(Lebanon County)

Thumbs up Re: Interesting take on random violence

According to a course I recently took near Harrisburg (Hi, Rule), it's a good thing to be able to show what I knew and when I knew it in the event I need to defend my actions in court. Accordingly, I have added this article to my "What I know" file.

Thanks for the head's up.

(Delaware County)

In general, the anti gunners do want to carry, since they are of only the most noble sort. Anti gunners don't want YOU to carry. YOU can't be trusted.