Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default 3 day inspection?

I'm selling a shotgun to a guy out of state. He requested a 3 day inspection period. I'm assuming that means he has 3 days to check it out and if he doesn't want it he can send it back and get a refund. Is he then responsible for paying for the shipping back to me and my costs to ship it to him? Anything negative regarding a 3 day inspection period?

Hawk,

(Bucks County)

Default Re: 3 day inspection?

Nice bird Hawk, Usually a 3-day is customary where an honest seller give a potential buyer the chance to look things over. If the potential buyer turns down the item, then the potential buyer should pay the freight for the return, and if smart, insurance for the shipment.
    I would not buy an item without the chance to look it over and/or let an expert check it out.
    Mike45

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike45 View Post
    Nice bird Hawk, Usually a 3-day is customary where an honest seller give a potential buyer the chance to look things over. If the potential buyer turns down the item, then the potential buyer should pay the freight for the return, and if smart, insurance for the shipment.
    I would not buy an item without the chance to look it over and/or let an expert check it out.
    Mike45
    So is it understood I'll have to eat the shipping to him? BTW I granted his request and I am shipping it USPS Priority Registered/Insured.

Hawk,

(Lebanon County)

I can understand why he would want a chance to check out the gun. That said, if I were the seller, especially involving an out of sate sale, I would probably look for another buyer.

If I did decide to go through with the sale, I would place reasonable restrictions on returning the gun. In order to return it, he would need to show that it differs substantially from my description or has some defect I failed to disclose. I would also stipulate that he pays return shipping.

You didn't say what the value if the shotgun is. If it's over a couple hundred dollars, I would take it to my local gun shop and have it checked out and evaluated. Get it in writing. Document it's condition with pictures. That way you are protected if the buyer messes up your gun and then wants to return it.

(Bucks County)

I have sold about 20 firearms over the Internet and I specified on each one that the buyer pays shipping and insurance. If it was a really expensive gun I would work something out with the buyer. If the buyer wanted shipping other then standard ground (longguns) I would pay the ground fee and insurance and the buyer would pay the extra bucks for 1 day or 2 day service.
    BTW 3 day is the general courtesy period for buying and selling firearms. I would not buy any gun without this priviledge.
    My two cents.
    Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Bucks County)

Hawk, in my opinion, yes. Shipping is part of the deal, some may add the shipping into the asking price to cover the charge. I use FedEx Ground and they are very reasonable. My guess is that the carrier you used costs a bundle. My last FedEx shipment was a 12lb. rifle, $13.05, (insured), to a FFL in Arkansas.
    Mike45

(Bucks County)

Hawk, Pukindog is right about selling via websites where the buyer pays the freight, but I'm guessing you and the buyer just put the deal together and you shipped him the item through the carrier he requested...Mike45

(Centre County)

Also, in many of the 3 day inspections the seller typically will state "can be inspected but may not be fired". And as said previously the inspection would have to come up with something that was not stated in the description, agreement to sell, etc. And it would have to b something major. Anything else the price could be renegotiated and a partial refund sent if need be.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the info guys. I gave the buyer the low-down regarding the 3 day inspection, he didn't like the conditions you guys stated for me and backed out of the deal. Guess I'll stick with local buyers.

Hawk,

(Beaver County)

If it means anything, It doesn't sound like a very serious buyer to me.