Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Prescription drugs and carry

Sorry if this has been addressed. I am older and have some Medical problems, And need to carry Three Prescribed Medications with me at all time. Now these are not. Strong pain meds. This is what they call a Maintenance Drugs. My question is this. I also have a LTCF. I have been carrying a copy of the prescription in my wallet. But I was told that carrying the pills in an unmarked pill container. Is a violation of the Law. And they must be in a plainly marked bottle from the Pharmacy . Any thoughts on this.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Prescription drugs and carry

I take Alprazolam and I have heard of no such thing. I usually keep it in the bottle if I take it along on a trip or something.

I'm sure you can get a copy of the prescription from your pharmacy and carry it around with you.

(Lackawanna County)

Are these drugs you have to take several times a day for maintenance or do you only have to take them one or two times a day? Why can't you take them in the morning and at night and then leave the pills at home?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA-Joe View Post
    Are these drugs you have to take several times a day for maintenance or do you only have to take them one or two times a day? Why can't you take them in the morning and at night and then leave the pills at home?
    Some prescription drugs are "take as needed". Today you may not need any at all, tomorrow you may, and you're never sure just when. I too carry some prescription medication with me daily, and even on an extended trip, use a pill organizer (with a mix of vitamins, supplements and Rx drugs). All of the marked bottles stay at home, though I'll admit I have no idea what the legal requirements really are.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Some prescription drugs are "take as needed". Today you may not need any at all, tomorrow you may, and you're never sure just when. I too carry some prescription medication with me daily, and even on an extended trip, use a pill organizer (with a mix of vitamins, supplements and Rx drugs). All of the marked bottles stay at home, though I'll admit I have no idea what the legal requirements really are.
    I think those requirements to have the drugs in labeled containers, etc. are for passing thru the airport security check points.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    I think those requirements to have the drugs in labeled containers, etc. are for passing thru the airport security check points.
    I was thinking airport too.

As a NREMT I find a lot of older folk keep a list of prescribed drugs on the person stating name of pills, how many Mg. and how many times a day to be taken. It is most helpful to carry the medicationsin the prescribed and labeled bottle but, I think the list should suffice. By the way, I am in the same boat, I take a number of anxiety meds and always carry a list or have the labeled bottles in my car locked in my glove box if I am traveling.

(Allegheny County)

I've never heard of any such law. I suspect it probably is more of an airport thing.

I keep a bottle of unmarked pills in my car and in my desk at work. The reason the bottle is unmarked is because I was splitting out my prescription into smaller containers more convenient to store in multiple locations, instead of taking the single large bottle everywhere. Have to take these ones before meals, so I never know when or where I'll need them.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

(Monroe County)

I am not sure what your question has to do with carrying a firearm??

If you wanted to ask if you should carry a firearm while on prescription meds, up to you, as it isn't against any law I know of. I have carried while on strong pain meds. Why? Because you don't give up your right to defend yourself because you are on medication. The only time I didn't, was while I was on crutches. I couldn't figure out how I would be able to support myself and successfully deploy my firearm at the same time, so I left it locked up while I was actually hobbling around.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Westmoreland County)

If in possession of a bottle of unmarked Prescribed pills .If this is in fact a crime . Then would you not also face . An added charge of .Possession of a firearm , during the commission of a crime. I know this is hypothetical . But it is a concern. I would not want to lose my LTCF on a technicality. That you may or may not win in Court.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast