Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Colt 1911, any ideas on what I'll be looking at ?

A co-worker approached me last night and ask if I would be interested in a "Colt45" he was looking to sell. This pistol was an inheritance, and he is not a gun guy. He will be bringing it for me to see on Tuesday, but I was wondering if any of you might have some ideas on what I might be looking at.

He described the gun as, "A semi auto, with adjustable rear sights, and white grips with the little red horse in them." He said the gun had been purchased new like this.

Could this be some kind of commemorative model, or did Colt offer these options on standard 1911's ?

I know the info is slim but I'm not a Colt guy, so any guesses would be welcome.
    Will I really care if LE later catch the guy who killed me ?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Colt 1911, any ideas on what I'll be looking at ?

Did he say for sure it was a 1911 and not a Colt 45 revolver? I thought one comparative editions of the revolver had a set of grips like you described.

Get a pic or serial number and post it.

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    Did he say for sure it was a 1911 and not a Colt 45 revolver? .
    That was the first thing I asked him, and he did say it's not a revolver, and that it was a semi-auto.

(Chester County)

If he inherited it, my guess is it will be an old commercial that somebody added ivory or some other grips to. If you post a pic I will tell you what it is and what its worth...

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    If he inherited it, my guess is it will be an old commercial that somebody added ivory or some other grips to. If you post a pic I will tell you what it is and what its worth...
    I'm going to go get the gun tomorrow, If it is in decent condition. I know what 1911's go for and if it is not a rust ball, and in working condition, I'd have to think that $400.00 for the gun, and 300 rounds of 45 acp. was a good deal !

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by kurt 10/22 View Post
    I'm going to go get the gun tomorrow, If it is in decent condition. I know what 1911's go for and if it is not a rust ball, and in working condition, I'd have to think that $400.00 for the gun, and 300 rounds of 45 acp. was a good deal !
    Yeah, you certainly should be fine there...

(Susquehanna County)

In addition to a visual inspection of the outside to determine general condition here's some checks you should make. Basically they're just the routine safety checks to make sure the safety features work. Just make sure the gun is empty (i.e. nothing in the chamber and magazine removed) before you start. And be sure to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction as you perform these function tests.

1. Starting with the slide locked back on an empty chamber and the magazine removed. Holding the grip in your strong hand release the slide by pressing the slide stop down. The slide should go forward into the battery position. The hammer should remain in the cocked position. If the hammer falls, the sear probably needs to be replaced.

2. Engage the thumb safety (push it up into the safe position) and grip the pistol normally and squeeze the trigger, the hammer should not fall. If the hammer falls the thumb safety must be replaced.

3. Disengage the thumb safety and with the hammer in the full cock position, grip the pistol so the grip safety is not engaged and squeeze the trigger. The hammer should not fall.

4. Again with the hammer fully cocked and the pistol gripped by your strong hand use your weak hand to pull the slide to the rear (out of battery) about 1/8th inch and squeeze the trigger while the slide is out of battery. The hammer should not fall.

5. Starting with the hammer down and without touching the trigger, thumb the hammer back, but not all the way to full cock, but be sure to go past the half-cocked position and allow the hammer to go forward (gently is OK). The hammer should stop at the half cocked position, now with the hammer in half cock pull the trigger. The hammer should not fall.

If it passes all these steps you'll know that all of the safeties function properly. Last look over the slide and read all of the roll markings, even though it was inherited it still might be fairly recent For example if it says Series 70 in was made between 1970 and 1980something when they came out with the Series 80. If it says Series 80 Model 1991, well you get the idea.

BTW I wonder why I never come across deal like that? Bear in mind even if it fails the safety check above, it's still worth the $400!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Monroe County)

Go to this link and lookup the serial number, it will tell you alot about it.

http://www.sightm1911.com/1911Production.htm
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

OK, I have the pistol, and I'm still not sure what I have.

The slide says government model Colt automatic, caliber .45 on the left side, and Colts MFG. CO. Hartford CT. USA on the right side. There are no numbers on the slide.

The frame Has
    Essex Arms Corp.
    Island pond VT.

This is located on the right of the frame above the trigger.

The pistol is in perfect working condition, although it does show some ware.

The frame seems to be almost a brown finish, as compared to the slide. there is no rust on the gun, and it shoots great.

(Chester County)

Colt slide on an Essex Arms lower receiver is what it sounds like.

Those were a pretty common starting point for a custom build back the 1970s, if I recall correctly.

If it shoots well and you only paid $400 you got a nice deal.

Any barrel markings? Any non-stock looking features? What type of sights? Stock safety? Is the triggerguard rounded or squared? What type of grip safety?
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast