Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Hunting Gear recommendations

Looking for a good source and recommendations for the basics. I'm going for deer in SE PA for the first time this year. I'd like to get some appropriate gear for the conditions and would like to only have to do it once. Looking for feedback on where to get camo stuff and what to get.

I currently have a camouflage button down shirt and denim pants. I have layers of spandex or cotton underwear for layering. So it is mostly the outerwear that I need.

Water resistance would be nice. My hands/feet tend to get very cold, too. I have 2XL glove size hands. I've looked at Dick's Sporting Goods, but they didn't really impress me with their selection. How is Cabela's? Others?

Thanks!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Hunting Gear recommendations

Cotton = garbage! wearing cotton will ensure you have a very bad time.

What kind of a budget are you looking at?

I'm a HUGE fan of Sportsmansguide.com. they have a poly-propolene fleece that makes an outstanding base layer

other then that spend lots of time on cabelas.com in the bargin cave and basspro in their clearence section
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Somerset County)

Definitely avoid the cotton, it gets damp when you sweat and loses it's insulating properties.

Cabelas has a great selection, but is not cheap You may or may not find what you need in their bargain cave. Inventory changes all the time and common sizes go fast. French Creek Outfitters has stuff but is not cheap. Shyda's in Lebanon is better pricewise. Check out Tractor Supply in Pottstown. Anything good enough for farmers will work for hunters. Hit the workwear section at Walmart. I have a pair of black Walls insulated bibs that do double duty for the farm and woods. Brandywine Shoe Shop outside of Honeybrook has a great selection and decent prices on boots. They're Amish and nice to deal with. There is an Underarmour outlet at Limerick. I've never been in so I have no idea what they have or prices.

Buy a good insulated hat, and maybe some sort of neck scarf/dickey/hoody thing, those will help keep heat in and your hands and feet warm. Wool socks and don't lace your boots too tight.

I've read about guys who have really sweaty feet spraying them with antiperspirant to help keep them dry and warm.

Oh yeah, you don't have to have camo, my jacket is 100% blaze orange and my pants are either red/black plaid or olive green depending on the temperature.

I've had mixed luck with Sportsman's Guide. This close to deer season, I would buy local so I KNOW that everything fits and works.

Dale
    Last edited by dk99358; November 15th, 2009 at 09:09 PM.

(Delaware County)

Based upon todays weather.....this seems to be pretty appropriate.

Yay global warming!
    Only thing to worry about is the beer getting warm.

(Chester County)

Thanks all for the suggestions/recommendations!

Like I said, I have spandex/polypro base layers and all of that. I want to get it right the first time around on the outerwear so I don't have to re-buy gear.

(Allegheny County)

polypropylene underwear wool-rich brand coats are nice and carhart camo stay away from brown, and white and turkey colors, get a orange tee shirt, and bandana or ball cat for field dressing, me i am still considering making a blaze orange/camo mummy bag while i am sitting i get cold but i prefer to stalk thru the woods. a deer drag rope, cell phone, outdoor survival gude book i picked one up from half priced books for like 6 bucks.

The warmest I have ever been while hunting was when I wore my artic issue parka and the artic pants from Uncle Sam. They were the old style OD green. I also wore the Mickey Mouse boots. I was hunting in upstate NY. and boy was it cold. I was very comfortable all day. You can find that stuff at an army surplus store. And if you don't like hunting, you still have some cold weather gear. Throw on an orange vest and hat, have a good pair of gloves and enjoy the day. Most of your heat loss is through you head so don't skimp on the hat. What ever you decide, rub the material together before you buy it. It should not make any noise.

I also forgot to mention that depending on your style of hunting, you may want to grab something to sit on. It makes for a bad day in the woods if you have a wet butt. This too should be of a quiet material. I have one made out of some type of foam that stays dry and does not transfer the cold from the ground. Besides the gun and ammo, I carry a knife, a deer drag, a small pair of binoculars, 1 warm hat and 1 ball cap ( both orange) 1 heavy pair of gloves and 1 light pair. But this year I added a for lack of better word, a camo muffler to stick my hands in and inside it will be a hand warmer packet I bought at wal-mart. I have had injuries to both hands and they get a little painful in the cold now. Don't forget to take some snacks out with you, but no matter how much you take, it will most likely be gone by 9am anyway.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclesam099 View Post

Like I said, I have spandex/polypro base layers and all of that. I want to get it right the first time around on the outerwear so I don't have to re-buy gear.
    Use you own cold weather gear and buy a orange or camo orange vest and a cap to match and go hunting. Controlling your body movement means much more than the camo. We have killed a lot of deer wearing 100% blaze orange and had deer walk right up when we didn;t spook them w/ movement!

Pay attention to what the other hunters you see are wearing.

Then check out the after season sales at all the stores...better prices then.

I used to wear 100% camo orange and now I have camo bibs and 3 way parka with a camo orange vest over top [when required] and camo gloves. I've noticed that orange gloves and those yellow leather work gloves show motion much more than camo.

I once watched a bow hunter walking out. He was in 100% camo w/ those leather gloves. Looked like two yellow spotlights walking thru the woods. I spotted him several hundred yards away just by seeing the gloves swinging as he walked.
    Last edited by wis bang; November 16th, 2009 at 11:58 AM.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclesam099 View Post

Give up on that idea now....the buying never ends

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast