Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Good Gun Shop in Harrisburg Area?

I used to frequent Jim's Tackle Shop at 30th and Canby Streets, but saw he is no longer there. Can anyone in the Harrisburg area recommend a good gun shop? I'm looking to purchase a .45 ACP for a carry gun. I did stop in Gander Mountain a few weeks ago, but would rather give the business to the small shop rather than a big corporate store if the price is right.

Dave

harrisburg pa gun shops
    Last edited by danp; October 28th, 2011 at 12:48 AM.

(Cumberland County)

Thumbs up

I live in Carlisle, but I really haven't found any small shops near Harrisburg that I would recommend. One shop that I will definitely recommend is Knisey's in Mt Joy, right off of the Elizabethtown exit of 283. Very informative and friendly bunch! And their prices are pretty good too!

Jim's Tackle Shop...oh what memories..that guy was always trying to make a killing off of each sale...that's why he's been out of business for 3 years.

I would recommend Shyda's in Lebanon...it's an hour away, but the prices are worth the drive. I posted a thread about some Xd prices I saw there on monday. Shyda's has a bunch of 1911's if like that platform. You really would have to look long and hard to find another gun shop that offer the same prices.

Kinsey's is alright, but I believe they are about to go under. Their store is getting smaller and their inventory levels are pretty bare to say the least.

Trops is 1/2 mile from Kinsey's...they have a good selection, but their prices are starting to get a bit high.

BTW, what sort of 45 were you looking for? I might be willing to sell my HK USP45c.

(Perry County)

Aubie...I'm still undecided as to exactly what I want. Here is where I'm coming from.

I want a .45 for carry mainly for the stopping power and ability to conceal. I currenly have a Taurus .357 model 65SS with a 4" barrel, which is not easy to conceal on my small frame (140 lbs - 5'8"). I bought it after trading in my Ruger .40 because it was an utter bitch to take down and clean. The only other auto I had was a Taurus 9MM...my first gun and it was great. Makes me wish I still had it!

I've looked at various manufacturers websites after reading a lot of what other have had to say. I've checked out Glock, Springfield XD and Taurus in the composites and also Kimber and Springfield in the regular 1911's. I think Kimber is a bit expensive and really like the Springfield 1911 Ultra Compact.

So, what I'm looking for is small frame .45 which is easy to conceal and not too bad to clean. Gee...I'm not being too fussy, huh?

Dave G.

(Berks County)

DMG, I own a SA 1911 GI model and an XD Tactical .45- love both of them. The XD is comfortable to shoot and lines up naturally on target. The 1911 is.... well it's a 1911! I'm very happy with both pistols, I think if you look at the XD Service in .45 you might like it. The Tactical's one downside is it's a little long for carry.

ps: I also recommend Shyda's Gun Shop just outside Lebanon. They have good prices,a nice selection, and the staff are easy to deal with.
    Last edited by snuffy19608; September 20th, 2006 at 12:59 PM.

(Perry County)

Thanks for the input, snuffy. Does anyone have an opinion about the compact Springfield .45s vs. the full size when it comes to accuracy? Of course, the compacts are easier to conceal, but then you sacrifice capacity. Does the shorter barrel decrease accuracy as well?

The 1911's IMO are a PITA to field strip for cleaning. Another feature I dislike about the 1911's are the weight for carry purposes. I believe my friend is selling his Kimber 4" pistol.

The XD tactical IMO is horrible for carry...esp if you are 5'8"...I tried using a cheap IWB holster for my service (4") XD last weekend and it wasn't the best pistol for that type of carry. I am going to buy a fitted IWB for the XD...the grip is a bit long due to the double stacked mags...but how can you complain about having 14 rounds of 45.

I personally cannot recommend a Taurus autoloader....I have seen too many of them come back for repairs and warranty work. Their revolvers seem to be better made, so that that for what it's worth.

I know you said you wanted a smaller 45...just remember that the smaller the barrel length...the more felt recoil. I read that XD will be coming out with a SC45 3"...if they do...I hope they offer the mags with the finger extensions.

If you haven't made up your mind about buying a 45...you might want to consider the 40S&W as well. Cheaper ammo, pistols will be lighter to carry and personal protection ammo selection is good as well.

(Perry County)

I did have a .40 S&W Ruger...that's the one I shot only once and traded in for the .357 I have now because it was such a PITA to clean. I guess if the 1911's are also hard to clean, that leaves me with one of the composites...Glock, SA XD, etc.

Maybe I should stop by Gander Mountain and check them out in person to get some more in-sight (pun intended) as to fit in hand, weight, sight acquisition, etc. If money were no object, I would love a Kimber, but will probably go with a SA XD.

BTW...I know that Taurus is not a favorite among the gun community. However, the first gun I ever owned was a Taurus 9MM (PT-92?) and it was a fabulous gun. Accurate and never had a FTF or FTE.

Dave

(Perry County)

Well, I was out running around for my job, so I took lunch and stopped at Gander Mountain while I was out and about. I had a really helpful clerk and he was a big propponent of the gun I was looking at...the XD45 (4"). I liked the way it felt in my hand and sight acquisition seemed very easy. I checked out the XD9 but it was a little too small...and I don't have overly large hands. I was OK with the extension magazine, but my pinky had no grip with the standard one. I also checked out the Glocks, but they were a bit bulkier when compared to the XD. The XD45 was priced at $529.99 through them. I think I have decided on the XD45. Gotta save up for a bit now that I know what I want!

Dave

Who was it that helped you? The guy from Sweden I believe...Wade? or the other young punk??? HAHA....I know the gunsmith Zack...I think he's still there til Oct when he transfers...nice guys...even though I don't buy from Gander Mtn.

Go to Shyda's and they can do it cheaper. I was at Seneca Arms yesterday picking up my pistol and I saw some slightly used XD's for cheap...the one was a 4" 40 with 3 mags for $380, which John would have offered a better price for a cash sale. IMO, I feel that you will be happy with an XD purchase.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast