Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Handgun Registration Question -Is it mine?

Hi all -

I haven't been on the forum in a good year, and I finally got time to start re-visiting old sites! I had a question, that I am not sure how to ask -

20 years ago, I "inherited" my father-in-law .357 Ruger Super Blackhawk. I went to a gun shop, and transferred ownership to me.

Question is, I don't have a lick of paper, evidence or anything to prove I own this gun? If something catastrophic should happen, say an intruder, and I had to use this in self defense - how do I find out if I am going to be brought up on charges of having a non-registered gun?

Am I the rightful owner? How do I prove it? The gun shop is long gone, I take the gun out shooting at a local range, but if you were to ask me for proof of registration or ownership, I couldn't produce it -

Is that normal? Should I do something?

Thanks!

Nice to be back, too -

Jerry

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Handgun Registration Question -Is it mine?

There is no registration of firearms in Pennsylvania. Consequently, possession of an unregistered handgun is not a crime.

(Indiana County)

The authorities would have to prove that it's not yours, not the other way around.

(Luzerne County)

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Quote Originally Posted by jerryss View Post
    Hi all -

I haven't been on the forum in a good year, and I finally got time to start re-visiting old sites! I had a question, that I am not sure how to ask -

20 years ago, I "inherited" my father-in-law .357 Ruger Super Blackhawk. I went to a gun shop, and transferred ownership to me.

Question is, I don't have a lick of paper, evidence or anything to prove I own this gun? If something catastrophic should happen, say an intruder, and I had to use this in self defense - how do I find out if I am going to be brought up on charges of having a non-registered gun?

Am I the rightful owner? How do I prove it? The gun shop is long gone, I take the gun out shooting at a local range, but if you were to ask me for proof of registration or ownership, I couldn't produce it -

Is that normal? Should I do something?

Thanks!

Nice to be back, too -

Jerry
    Well, you did transfer it legally when you got it from your FIL...so it's yours. End of story.

Actually, there would not have had to have been any paperwork done at all if your FIL had given it to his daughter (your wife) and she had given it to you. Transfers between parent and children and between spouses can be done without paperwork.

(Bucks County)

Thanks guys -

I have had this wonderful gun forever, and it's always "worried" me that I could be brought up on some sort of charge, if I had no registration proof -

Big thanks to you, Knight- for that link - guess i should visit the forum more often....

Thanks!

Jerry

(Bucks County)

"If that gun was inherited by your wife from her dad, then she gave it to you - then NO transfer paperwork is necessary."

There was my answer, in Knights posting that he linked.

Sorry, guys - I am sure you all see these type questions ad nauseum. Thanks for the helpful answers, and no flames - much appreciated.

Jerry

The worst that would be likely to happen is that one of the minority of ignorant cops would take it from you (after a shooting, during a traffic stop, or for whatever other reason) and would refuse to give it back without proof of ownership.

If you went to court and petitioned for its return, the burden of proof is ON YOU to establish ownership. You can do that with paperwork from the transfer, or by having the serial number and a picture of yourself holding it. The police may or may not have issued you a receipt for seized property, despite it being a statutory requirement.

The picture and SN evidence is also good to have in case of a theft; without the serial number, make & model, how could you possibly hope to get it back?

So, take some pics, write down the serial number, make, & model and keep them someplace safe.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    The worst that would be likely to happen is that one of the minority of ignorant cops would take it from you (after a shooting, during a traffic stop, or for whatever other reason) and would refuse to give it back without proof of ownership.

If you went to court and petitioned for its return, the burden of proof is ON YOU to establish ownership. You can do that with paperwork from the transfer, or by having the serial number and a picture of yourself holding it. The police may or may not have issued you a receipt for seized property, despite it being a statutory requirement.

The picture and SN evidence is also good to have in case of a theft; without the serial number, make & model, how could you possibly hope to get it back?

So, take some pics, write down the serial number, make, & model and keep them someplace safe.
    That is wonderful advice. Everyone should keep a personal firearms inventory with pics, SN's, dates and places of purchase.

(Bucks County)

Agreed - a great idea - thanks! I absolutely will do that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast