Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default AR Barrel Length Question

I see folks referring to getting barrels that are 11.5" long and then adding a flash suppressor that is 4.5" long. I assume that is to avoid having a SBR and paying the required tax for it. Why do that as opposed to just buying a 16" barrel and gaining the extra velocity that the longer barrel gives you?
    The Lord Bless You

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: AR Barrel Length Question

I wonder the same thing.. ...its sorta like putting racing stripes or fart pipes on a Honda Civic. But hey, everyone has their own tastes and desires.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Centre County)

There are some folks that are interested in creating clone weapons of the old CAR rifle. And then there are the rest that just don't know any better.

The CAR was equiped with a moderator which is actually a small sound suppressor that would require the tax stamp as well since it reduces the noise level of the weapon. I believe there is a company that is reproducing a clone of the actual moderator, both looks and function, you just gotta pay the man and get your stamp.

The 4.5" flash suppressor you normally see is for looks only, not function and is not the same thing as the moderator issued by the military.

The only way I'd ever put a 11.5" on my gun is if I had the tax stamp to do it right and keep it short. Adding the other 4.5" defeats the whole purpose.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by arrrrgh15 View Post
    The only way I'd ever put a 11.5" on my gun is if I had the tax stamp to do it right and keep it short. Adding the other 4.5" defeats the whole purpose.
    I agree.

Another possible reason is that they plan on turning it into an SBR but don't have all the paperwork ready so they pinned the FH until they are ready. Once they get everything in order, they can just remove the FH.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Philadelphia County)

Sometimes a couple inches means a whole lot ... in this case it's the opposite.

The fact is that many people don't have financial or legal means (Philadelphia non-LLC, non-trust, non-corp people) to get the stamp and they still want the shortest barrel possible while maintaining flash hiding and recoil reduction.

Still, I can see a 14.5" + 1.5" FH, but a 11.5" + 4.5" isn't what I would do given longer barrel = better accuracy.

Al

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    Sometimes a couple inches means a whole lot ... in this case it's the opposite.

The fact is that many people don't have financial or legal means (Philadelphia non-LLC, non-trust, non-corp people) to get the stamp and they still want the shortest barrel possible while maintaining flash hiding and recoil reduction.

Still, I can see a 14.5" + 1.5" FH, but a 11.5" + 4.5" isn't what I would do given longer barrel = better accuracy.

Al
    That only applies if the sight radius is greater too. With a carbine/SBS, it wouldn't really be a matter of accuracy since the front sight would be about the same distance away from rear sight with a 11.5" barrel as it would be a 16" barrel.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Also ... the longer barrel allows for higher velocity, but that doesn't necessarily mean better accuracy.

A shorter barrel should be stiffer than a longer barrel, which should help with consistency.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    That only applies if the sight radius is greater too. With a carbine/SBS, it wouldn't really be a matter of accuracy since the front sight would be about the same distance away from rear sight with a 11.5" barrel as it would be a 16" barrel.
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Also ... the longer barrel allows for higher velocity, but that doesn't necessarily mean better accuracy.

A shorter barrel should be stiffer than a longer barrel, which should help with consistency.
    Hm...I've always thought, all things being equal, that longer barrel means more twisting of the bullets which equates to better accuracy.

Al

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    Hm...I've always thought, all things being equal, that longer barrel means more twisting of the bullets which equates to better accuracy.

Al
    not really. the bullet is already twisting at whatever rate the barrel is, i.e. 1:7, when it leaves the muzzle.

Velocity is the biggest difference.