Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northumberland County)

Default which 12 gauge high brass has longer range?

i was pondering why i missed 2 grouse yesterday while small game hunting , i was using Winchester Super X high brass copper plated No 6 load with Mod choke on my Rem 870 express. I got a rabbit last week with a headshot, i was using the same load. I did some research but i cant find which would give me better reach the smaller No 6 or No 5 High Brass.

i asked the around everyone gives different opinions and said lighter is faster and farther while i aint convinced with the 7 and half load. Any feedback would be appreciated.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: which 12 gauge high brass has longer range?

The larger the pellet the greater the effective range. Velocity differences are nil at the muzzle, but the heavier pellets will retain energy better(kinetic and momentum).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Grouse are my favorite game to hunt. My lab & I go up on the mountain frequently to bother them.
    I use 6 or 7 1/2 shot game loads, depending on the type of cover & I miss them equally well with either. During the 2nd season I'll switch to hi brass because I can see them for a longer distance after they flush; not that it makes much difference.
    I use a 25" Uggie side-by-side 16 GA or a 26" Citori in 20 for grouse. I've found that a short barreled, fast pointing gun is best for grouse. As long as your 870 fits, you should be OK. Just don't be too quick to blame the ammo for your misses. Grouse are pretty good at avoiding bird shot.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Northumberland County)

yeah i am sticking to the Super X high brass No 5 loads, i missed a rabbit this morning , thanks for the info!

(Butler County)

Don't blame the shells. Grouse can be a SOB to hit.

(Monroe County)

In the early season you may be better off with Improved Cylinder and 7 1/2 shot. Also pattern any shell you plan on using as you may get bad patterns with certain loads. My favorite combo for pheasants is IC and Winchester AA Extended range trap loads. Out of my 870 these will drop anything from doves to pheasants reliably (when I do my part). When grouse hunting you always have to watch out for those trees that jump in front of your pattern. Good luck.