Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Thumbs down Stony Creek Outfitters

I know these guys are members on this forum so I hope they are listening. Went into Stony creek this afternoon to do what I thought was a simple transfer through a dealer. The man behind the counter did not introduce himself to me or my cousin first of all. Next when we brought up the subject of a firearms transfer he stated "Depends on what you have". Then when he was shown the small Semi automatic handgun, he basically stated that too many are stolen and involved in crimes. I was to say at the least a bit offended since I had purchased this weapon in a lot from a private collection from someone who was far from the "Gangbanger" thieving type. I had come prepared to buy a compact or sub compact Semi automatic handgun as well but since I was met with a negative attitude at the door we walked out and went to Gun Traders over in Reading PA and they were MORE than accommodating with the transfer and made a sale on a sub compact .40 caliber I found. They stated this is not the first time people have told them a story of the stony creek outfitters.

Sad part is, when I walked into Stony creek I mentioned that they had been recommended on the PFOA forum and he still proceeded to blow me off. I will not tell anyone to take business to these guys and I hope they can pay the rent with attitudes such as what I saw today. I say good luck to them.
    An Unarmed Man is a subject, an armed man is a citizen.

Default Re: Stony Creek Outfitters

Not sure who you spoke to Art or Rob but they are nothing but professional and do things by the book. To pay the rent you have to stay in business and to stay in business can't break the law . I was not there and can not say what transpired but I can't see them turning away business is everything was on the up and up or was communicated correctly.

and just to clarify i don't work or owe anything to Stony Creek . I have spent three to four times as much money at Gun Traders in the last 6 months than Stony. I just feel its a great shop/range with tons to offer.
    Last edited by Pagoda240; November 22nd, 2010 at 10:07 PM.
    Tantric Shooting Team

(York County)

Thumbs down Re: Stony Creek Outfitters

Pagoda,
    Nothing transpired and that was the problem,Period,the end. Perhaps they do have a lot to offer however, I am former law enforcement, Current Paramedic have a Carry permit and I DO NOT break the law myself. The staff there just seemed uninterested in helping.

(York County)

Sorry to carry on however as I explained to the man it was not like I had brought in a Lorcin or a Hi point,Bryco,Raven Arms ETC P.O.S to do this with. But it seems that people are being a bit over zealous when they are doing a simple transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettomedic View Post
    Sorry to carry on however as I explained to the man it was not like I had brought in a Lorcin or a Hi point,Bryco,Raven Arms ETC P.O.S to do this with. But it seems that people are being a bit over zealous when they are doing a simple transfer.

over zealous with simple transfer ? Being former law enforcement I would think you would understand that a gun transfer is a gun transfer from hi-point to Desert Eagle and it can't be taken lightly or done with following the law. $25 or whatever the transfer fee is not worth them losing there license. I am not going to discount that you didn't receive the service you expected but I don't really think your experience reflects the overall character of the Shop. I have seen them bend over back wards and give honest advice even if it was not liked or lost them money numerous times.

I am not going to about this.... You had a bad experience but I glad things worked out in the end...
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Monroe County)

"it depends on what you got" That should have been the clue right there.

You did the right thing- vote with your wallet.

A lot of Gun shop owners think that there buddies alone can keep them in business. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    "it depends on what you got" That should have been the clue right there.

You did the right thing- vote with your wallet.

A lot of Gun shop owners think that there buddies alone can keep them in business. We'll see.

Not trying to get dragged into a he said she said but there is no room for interpretation in a gun transfer and I think there is more to this transfer than is being explained or something was not communicated correctly to the staff at Stony. Why would they turn down money to fill out paperwork , actually watch you fill out paperwork ?
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Monroe County)

Am I missing something here? They refused to do a handgun transfer because you and/or your pistol were shady?

WTFO?
    Really, if you were that type why would you be bothering to do it by the book?

You should of got a name of the guy to properly flame them on here.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Schuylkill County)

Yes, I must say that I am a little perplexed myself. What does the type or manufacturer of the firearm have to do with the transfer itself? As someone else said, if this was a stolen gun, why would they be doing the legal thing and going to a shop to do a transfer? And what liability does the shop hold?

Gettomedic Stony creek is trying to change the image of the place they took over! Just about every one East of the Mississippi heard about the Gun Gallery disaster. Many of the old customers were less than desirable for many reasons. Could it have been the way you or your friend was dressed, causing a cold shoulder right from the get go?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast