Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Older LEO's

(Franklin County)

Default Older LEO's

Is it just me or does it seem that older/veteran LEO's are more laid back about things like OC and carrying in general then younger (fresh out of the academy) I'm gonna bust your skull kind of LEO's?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Older LEO's

NO. IT IS NOT YOU.

THE YOUNG BREED OF POLICE OFFICER SEEmS TO BE LACKING IN THE UNDERSTANDING THAT THEY ARE PUBLIC SERVANTS. MORE CONCERNED WITH MAKING A NAME AND SHOWING WHO IS IN CHARGE.

OLD TIMERS HAVE A LITTLE BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF HOW TO READ PEOPLE AND WHAT IS REALLY IMPORTANT.

jut my 2 cents.

The thing is the older cops who started before the drug war really ramped up have a greater sense of what I presume you and I believe the job should entail. That is, helping people and nabbing those who hurt or steal from others. They are also at a point in their careers where they don't care so much about impressing people with stats. This results in older cops' reduced propensity for not breaking balls, killing you with bullshit tickets, and having a thicker skin due to their long time on the job.

You combine all that with the increasing militarization of police forces, an us vs. them attitude by both cops and citizens, a stat driven police economy where 10 marijuana possession arrests are worth more than 3 graffiti or car break in arrests, reliance on police to produce revenue to the state through tickets, and the lack of other high paid jobs for those without a college education, and you get what we have today with many younger police.

This drug thing, this ain't police work. No, it ain't. I mean, I can send any fool with a badge and a gun up on them corners and jack a crew and grab vials. But policing? I mean, you call something a war and pretty soon everybody gonna be running around acting like warriors. They gonna be running around on a damn crusade, storming corners, slapping on cuffs, racking up body counts. And when you at war, you need a fucking enemy. And pretty soon, damn near everybody on every corner is your fucking enemy. And soon the neighborhood that you're supposed to be policing, that's just occupied territory. - Major Howard "Bunny" Colvin

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Is it just me or does it seem that older/veteran LEO's are more laid back about things like OC and carrying in general then younger (fresh out of the academy) I'm gonna bust your skull kind of LEO's?
    Yes I noticed that. I always feel more comfortable interacting with an older LEO who never got promoted and is still hitting the streets like he did on his first day. Maybe he didn't play politics, or he is just plain happy and content with what he's doing.

Some of the younger guys seem to have a hot-headed attitude, but I'm guessing that most of them will back off a bit when they get a little older.

Either case, they have a rough job, and it seems people respect authority less and less as time goes by. I can understand why the younger guys have their guard up.

Age and experience will do it everytime. Young guys are still trying to prove themselves. Older guys don't feel the need to prove anything to anybody, it's just another Ho Hum day on the job.

(Perry County)

The situation you describe is well illustrated by the old bull, young bull joke.

For the handful of people in the world that have not heard it...Old bull and young bull standing at the top of a hill. In the hollow stand a few dozen cows. Young bull says "look at all the cows down there, let's run down and screw one." Old bull says "let's walk down the hill and screw all of them."

I have been screamed at, called names, told that I would be sued more times than I can possibly count. It passes by with out so much as a sneer from me anymore. It comes from knowing what my authority is, where it comes from and how to exercise that authority. It takes some time to develop that confidence. Until then, some guys puff up their chest and bite your head off.

Its not only LEOS, its parents, grandparents, teachers & any other pre 60 love era self centered individuals. Sure there is a lot of young x gen, new x-box gen with respect & common sense. it is just getting less noticeable now a day!
    -Remember the Constitution-

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    The situation you describe is well illustrated by the old bull, young bull joke.

For the handful of people in the world that have not heard it...Old bull and young bull standing at the top of a hill. In the hollow stand a few dozen cows. Young bull says "look at all the cows down there, let's run down and screw one." Old bull says "let's walk down the hill and screw all of them."

I have been screamed at, called names, told that I would be sued more times than I can possibly count. It passes by with out so much as a sneer from me anymore. It comes from knowing what my authority is, where it comes from and how to exercise that authority. It takes some time to develop that confidence. Until then, some guys puff up their chest and bite your head off.
    Sean Penn and Robert Duvall made that exact exchange in the movie Colors, albeit in a more colorful way. I though that it might be up on Youtube, but it isn't, so enjoy a car chase, instead. Watch your surroundings; the language is, again, colorful:

I think that the overzealous rookie phenomenon was best described by Joseph Wambaugh, who used the term "black glove hot-dog" to describe them.