Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Unhappy Psychologist needed for Act 235

Can anyone recommend a psychologist for the paperwork needed for Act 235 in the Pittsburgh area? I know I just need someone to administer the MMPI test; maybe I'm being paranoid, but I didn't want to just pick a name out of the book. I figure psychologists are human and maybe I'd schedule with one who was anti-gun who didn't think anyone who wanted to carry was "normal". It's possible.

I was recommended Ken Stevenson by Ray at Suburban. I scheduled an appointment with him, took off work, showed up 30 mins early to a locked office and waited in the hallway for 2 hours while he was a no show. I did receive a message at 5pm stating "I am sorry if I didn't show up, I hope it wasn't an inconvenience. This Friday at 10am would be good for me". I'd prefer not to reschedule with him.

Thank you for any assistance.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Psychologist needed for Act 235

While I can't recommend one for you, I can tell you that even if a random one would be anti-gun, the test they give you has nothing to do with firearms and is all about answering the repetitive questions consistently. Basically anyone that's not trying to lie and not really whacked out can easily pass the psych test for the act 235. When I did mine, they just gave me a book with the questions and a sheet for the answers, then when I was done i dropped it off at the front desk and left. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by matrix6985 View Post
    While I can't recommend one for you, I can tell you that even if a random one would be anti-gun, the test they give you has nothing to do with firearms and is all about answering the repetitive questions consistently. Basically anyone that's not trying to lie and not really whacked out can easily pass the psych test for the act 235. When I did mine, they just gave me a book with the questions and a sheet for the answers, then when I was done i dropped it off at the front desk and left. Good luck
    What he said. A psycologist is just a proctor for the test, the questions are already on paper and he/she had nothing to do with the questions asked. In fact, unless you bring it up firearms will not be dicussed between the two of you. I've taken the MMPI 5 times now. Have fun with it.....say yes to "unusual sexual practices" and yes to "are you facinated by fire?". It's a sure trip to the company shrink for some facetime. Then you get to ask "what does unusual mean to you?" and that a campfire is indeed facinating. Watch out for the one about shiny leather shoes and women's dressing rooms. But really, it's not a big deal, just answer as you feel or think. Consistancy is the key they are looking for, as well as a couple of well planted indicators. Those indicators, along with a few other related questions (which do not seem related) are the meat of the testing. Of several hundred people I know who have taken the test, maybe 3 couldn't cut it. And in their cases, no test was needed to know they were nuts. This is just an easy was to cull the herd without legal ramifications. "We tested him, he's crazy." They already knew it, they just had to prove it.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Monroe County)

I contacted the PSP lethal weapons branch 2 weeks ago to inquire on the actual process from beginning to end, instead of reading 16 different things from 8 different people.

You can take your psych exam and your physical exam at any physician, respectively, who is certified in pennsylvania.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Lycoming County)

The Psychologist does know that the test will be for Lethal Weapons Certification. They are required to sign the form supplied by PSP. My employees are required to be LWTA certified, and one specifically was made to feel uncomfortable by the questions the Psychologist asked regarding the "need to carry a gun". She failed him. He went elsewhere and passed, He has been an LEO in Snyder Co. for 10 years now.

I too have taken the MMPI multiple times, 6, I think, I have had the responses reviewed with me, before I left the examination on at least half the occasions.

As far as the OP, does the school have a list to go off of? If not, maybe contact the nearest MPOETC Academy and see if they have a list to work off of.

Be safe (and don't play with fire, or farm animals).

Scott

Eh, too bad you are on the opposite side of the state because Bruce Eimer handles that and he is a GREAT guy ...

(Allegheny County)

Thanks guys for all the info.
    Maybe the forms I downloaded are too in depth. They say lethal weapons all over them. Right up top:
    NOTICE TO EXAMING PSYCHOLOGIST
    This examination is to determine the psychological fitness of the applicant to appropriately handle a lethal weapon.....

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Peragimus View Post
    Thanks guys for all the info.
    Maybe the forms I downloaded are too in depth. They say lethal weapons all over them. Right up top:
    NOTICE TO EXAMING PSYCHOLOGIST
    This examination is to determine the psychological fitness of the applicant to appropriately handle a lethal weapon.....
    I don't understand what you're saying here...
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Allegheny County)

A couple people stated that the shrink would give me the MMPI and not necessarily know what it was for, but the form I have says firearms or lethal weapons all over it.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Peragimus View Post
    A couple people stated that the shrink would give me the MMPI and not necessarily know what it was for, but the form I have says firearms or lethal weapons all over it.
    That should make no difference. It's a common test and if the physician is in the least way professional his personal opinion shouldn't effect the results.
    I'm pretty sure he can't do anything about it anyway, they just tally the score.

ETA: ALL law enforcement take the test, as do 235 candidates. You're acting like its something shameful.
    Last edited by jcabin; November 12th, 2009 at 09:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast