Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Father to Son Handgun Transfers?

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    For example:

http://www.charterfirearms.com/produ...paw_93820.html

And if the color is to his liking:

http://www.charterfirearms.com/produ...yLH_93830.html

Oh, there ARE ambidextrous safties and mag releases for autos, and I think I heard of someone who made a lefty 1911A1, though I can't find it at the moment.

Flash
    I keep telling him to check out the CA South Paw... we'll see what he does soon.

(Philadelphia County)

Does the law apply the other way?

For example, can a son gift his father a hand gun without going through an FFL?

I was debating this with a friend of mine this weekend and assumed it is possible but wanted to ask here.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Detoxx100 View Post

I was debating this with a friend of mine this weekend and assumed it is possible but wanted to ask here.
    Yes

Son to father/mother. Grandfather/Grandmother. Both fine

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Detoxx100 View Post

Yes

Son to father/mother. Grandfather/Grandmother. Both fine
    More specifically:

IIF both parties are PA residents AND recipient is not a prohibited person, then transfers in *either* direction are legal without FFL between:
    Spouse <--> Spouse
    Parent <--> Child
    Grandparent <--> Grandchild

NOT included:
    Sibling <--> Sibling
    Step-anything <--> Step-anything

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Fly View Post
    My dad won a Taurus 709 Slim at a gun Bash on Saturday. The gun is built for a righty and he is a lefty, so he gave it to me (lucky day )
    I'm curious about this part. What do you mean it is built for a righty? Are you referring to the safety and mag release? If so, he must feel the overwhelming majority of semi auto pistols are for righties only.

Some semi autos can be set up with ambidextrous options so that would solve his issue. Most just practice and adapt to the pistol. I'm guessing he views ALL revolvers as being built for right handed shooters...? I'm not trying to bust your balls, just curious about the logic.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    I'm curious about this part. What do you mean it is built for a righty? Are you referring to the safety and mag release? If so, he must feel the overwhelming majority of semi auto pistols are for righties only.

Some semi autos can be set up with ambidextrous options so that would solve his issue. Most just practice and adapt to the pistol. I'm guessing he views ALL revolvers as being built for right handed shooters...? I'm not trying to bust your balls, just curious about the logic.
    As a lefty myself....
    Most guns (especially older designs) are not very left-handed friendly. This is changing with many of the newer designs though. My FNS, for example, has ambidextrous controls, making it very friendly for my stron-hand. But as a lefty, there are some guns I just can not adapt to. The wife Sig 238, while a great shooter, is very unfriendly to a southpaw, especially as a carry gun. The slide stop, for example, can't be worked with my left index finger (like I can with a 1911) nor can I work the single sided safety without bringing my right hand into play. I can adapt to most pistols, but some are just a no-go for anything other than range toys.

Revolvers aren't too bad, unless they have a grip molded specifically for the right hand. But the cylinder release is still on the wrong side normally, to operate one handed, and the cylinder opens to an unnatural side for loading/reloading. You end up switching hands a lot...

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post

Tonyfly posted this in 2009 and last posted here in Dec 2015, you might want to try sending him a pm.

(Allegheny County)

Problem here is that the man does know about the pistol. When it was originally purchased it was connected to someone. If that weapon is used in a crime the "man" will simply go to the last
    known owner and require him or her to produce either the weapon or proof of a legal transfer. The proof can simply be I gave it to my son as long as the son agrees. At any rate anytime you
    transfer a weapon it is wise to have a bill of sale signed and dated by both the seller and the recipient.

The real problem is the thread is 10years old.....

But if your gun was used in a crime after you gave it to your son one of you messed up bigtime.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234