Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Point Shooting Home Study Course

Since I no longer engage in internet debates on the subject I will post this illustrated course so those interested can teach themselves.
    PS--I am the instructor who taught the head instructor in the Swedish Police thread( http://forum.pafoa.org/competition-t...-shooting.html) and the Swedes have since killed a lot of bad guys with both point and aimed fire.
    Anyway, here goes:

http://kilogulf59.proboards.com/inde...lay&thread=114
    Last edited by Matthew Temkin; November 11th, 2009 at 02:40 PM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Point Shooting Home Study Course

Yes, someone sent me a link to that and asked me to join the debate.
    Quite frankly I'd rather sit that one out and let the lurkers decide for themselves.
    It looks as if you have received some quality training on the subject.
    Let me know if my home study course adds anything to your hands on instruction.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Temkin View Post
    Yes, someone sent me a link to that and asked me to join the debate.
    Quite frankly I'd rather sit that one out and let the lurkers decide for themselves.
    It looks as if you have received some quality training on the subject.
    Let me know if my home study course adds anything to your hands on instruction.
    Thank you for taking the time to add your expertise. I am waiting on a video from Larry Vickers on the topic. In it he demonstrates what I consider to be the proper fundamentals of what some call "point shooting"... I have also chosen to stay out of the debate....

(Allegheny County)

I'm far from an expert, matter of fact, I'd consider myself not much more than a beginner when it comes to shooting a pistol for self defense.

I find point shooting easy, it's both quick and accurate. The reason it works (for me) is because I'm shooting at a target that provides instant feed back on where my shots are landing (paper and steel). If I didn't have that instant feed back, I couldn't be positive of hitting my target. This is where I think (for what its worth) point shooting can fail in the real world of self defense. Will I be able to determine where my shots are hitting a human target (if at all) with point shooting? I have my doubts, thats why I use the sights for self defense practice. I still use point shooting (for fun) in "target" practice.
    Toujours prêt

Point shooting is, as you say, easy ,quick and accurate.
    It also has a proven track record in decades of actual combat, and is still being used by some departments today with excellent results.
    However, point shooting is meant to COMPLIMENT--NOT REPLACE--sighted shooting skills.
    In other words, it is not either or (which is why I detest the common term of Point Vs. Sighted shooting)
    A well rounded shooter should learn both and then allow the situation to dictate the necessary method.