Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default John Farnam Basic/Intermediate Tactical Defensive Handgun Course

John Farnam's Basic/Intermediate Tactical Defensive Handgun Class
    Northeast Philadelphia, PA • February 6 - 7, 2010

For more information:
    Email Dr. Eimer at info@personaldefensesolutions.net or
    Call: 215-938-7283 (938-SAVE)

John Farnam is one of the most respected grand master firearms trainers and firearms authors in the United States. Farnam's Defense Training International Defensive Handgun classes offer serious gun owners, dedicated permit holders and those who are considering applying for a permit, an opportunity to learn:

1. How to properly and safely carry, deploy and fight with a concealed handgun.
    2. The laws regarding the use of lethal force for personal protection.

As such, this Defensive Handgun Course is designed to prepare the responsible adult gun owner to effectively handle, maintain, and use his or her firearm so that he or she will be capable of successfully handling nearly any personal protection situation. The course will consist of classroom lecture/demonstration and live-fire exercises on the range.

Classroom instruction includes:
    * situation awareness
    * threat evaluation
    * the force continuum
    * courtroom savvy
    * the latest information on the physio/psychological aspects of lethal encounters
    * safety review
    * handgun retention

Live-fire exercises on the range will include:
    * threat evaluation
    * risk identification and reduction
    * lethal threat containment and management
    * precision shooting
    * discretionary shooting
    * low-light shooting (with and without a flashlight)
    * cover and movement
    * performing under stress
    * close quarter fighting with a handgun
    * handgun retention

Tactical training is conducted in a realistic manner, stressing correct use of cover, movement, challenges, and other important individual tactics. In addition, students will practice close and extremely close encounters and weapon control.

This two day course is offered on a weekend with a low light shooting session at the end of the first day.

FEE: $575.

This is a specialized defensive handgun course that will instill a level of defensive ability that will enable you to successfully handle nearly any personal protection situation. This is a fast-paced defensive shooting course. It is designed to prepare the responsible adult gun owner to survive a lethal encounter.

YOU WILL NEED: A serviceable duty handgun chambered for .380 Auto or larger and 800 rounds of service ammunition. You will also need your concealment holster, ammunition carriers, etc. Also mandatory is hearing, eye protection, and a baseball cap. Shatterproof prescription eyeglasses, shooting glasses, or safety glasses will suffice for eye protection. Hearing protection may take the form of ear plugs or covers. On the range, all pistols are carried concealed.

SUBJECTS: Firearms safety, safe gun handling and preventable firearms accidents, handgun operation with particular attention to the autoloaders, mental alertness, situation awareness, danger avoidance, mental preparation, discretionary shooting, performing under stress, target scanning and quick identification, practical defensive marksmanship, and handgun retention. Classroom subjects will include the latest information on the physio/psychological aspects of lethal encounters, post-shooting trauma, ammunition performance in actual shooting, weapon selection criteria.

INSTRUCTORS:

John S. Farnam is considered the top handgun instructor in the nation. He has personally trained thousands of federal, state and local law enforcement agency personnel in the tactical use of the handgun. Mr Farnam has written several handgun manuals, produced numerous training videos, and has written a reasonable deadly force policy that is being adopted by many private security firms. He is a police officer with many years of experience as well as a Major (ret) in the US Army. His books, The Farnam Method of Defensive Handgunning - Second Edition and The Farnam Method of Defensive Shotgun and Rifle Shooting are the go-to texts in the field.

Bruce N. Eimer, Ph.D. is a licensed clinical psychologist, NRA Certified Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, PA Certified Lethal Weapons Training Instructor, author, and an Affiliate Instructor with John Farnam's Defense Training International. Dr. Eimer founded and heads Personal Defense Solutions, writes for Concealed Carry Magazine, and runs the online discussion forum, www.DefensiveHandguns.com.

COURSE LOCATION: Delaware Valley Sports Center, 101 Geiger Road, Philadelphia, PA 19115

TO PRE-REGISTER:
    Please send a check for the full tuition ($575) made out to "Defense Training International" and mail it to:

John Farnam
    Defense Training International
    749 South Lemay Ave. Ste. A3-337
    Fort Collins, CO 80524

TO OBTAIN MORE INFORMATION: Contact Dr. Bruce Eimer at 215-938-7283 (938-SAVE) or email him at: info@personaldefensesolutions.net

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: John Farnam Basic/Intermediate Tactical Defensive Handgun Course

Has anyone taken this class before?

Feedback , pros / cons.

Thanks
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by -JD- View Post
    Excellent course with diverse, broad-based curriculum, especially well suited to the beginning shooter. But more advanced shooters will take away a lot from it because (or at least the one I took 4 years before this one's date) it's not a super high round count "shooter's" class.

ETA: but let me clarify: I took the class at the bay that Classic Pistol rents for classes. That bay only has 5 shooting lanes which means for any drill involving movement, you had shifts of only 3 people at a time. IIRC, my class size was something like 12 - 14. It's possible that was a factor in the round count. In fact, I'm sure it did limit it. I mention this because it's at a different range this time -- not sure what their layout is, but I'm guessing it has to be bigger than the 3rd bay at CP. So it probably still won't be a 1,000rd weekend, but likely more than I remember it.
    Last edited by dgg9; November 11th, 2009 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -JD- View Post
    I agree with DGG9 -- it's a fantastic class. Due to the nature of the facilities the class was in (not Classic), much like DGG9's experience, we had to work in shifts. This not only helped keep the round count down (I think we did 300 round max), it also helped reinforce the skills being taught by watching other people working through them. The progression in the class is straightforward, with each skill a natural evolution from the last one.

The class is expensive, yes, but between the physical shooting skills you learn and Mr. Farnam's "Warrior-Poet" outlook, I found it not only a worthwhile use of money but also of my time. Mr. Farnam has a treasure trove of stories and wisdom to convey, and he uses breaks and teachable moments to convey them. In fact, I still refer to the final moment of wisdom he gave us, courtesy of Rudyard Kipling, when speaking to people of various related topics. Personally, he's quite engaging and approachable. While conducting drills, he's all business -- rigorous about safety, fair about correction, and demanding in performance.

As a "put your money where you mouth is" moment, when the Advanced class becomes available in the area, funds allowing, I'll be there.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    As a "put your money where you mouth is" moment, when the Advanced class becomes available in the area, funds allowing, I'll be there.
    As will I.

(Allegheny County)

My wife and I took the class back in the mid 90's in WA State. Good class and more importantly John and Vicki are good people.

Take the class!

P.S.
    We took the advanced class with him also, as well as ROed the shoot house portion of that class at the Firearms Academy of Seattle. It was also a good class.

I concur, where you take the class is important, i.e. range facilities etc...
    Having FAS's top notch training facility for the advanced class proved to be very worthwhile. We had a low light house, a regular shoot house, and a 360 range, to use in addition to several other ranges.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Monroe County)

I also have it on very high authority that John Farnam's courses are some of the best in the business. Highly recommended by people that I have a lot of respect for. That being said, I have never attended one and probably won't be able to afford this one after spending about $1500 on other classes in January.

Hopefully next time around.
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    C.A.R. Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Monroe County)

DC and I will most likely be taking this course (foot willing). Bruce said my bum foot won't effect the course so I'm going on his word. I've wanted to take a course like this for a while so I'm really hoping that I can participate and get the full advantage of the lesson.

I have taken this course about 4 years ago and John's defensive rifle class last summer and can say that you will definetely get your money worth in John's classes. I already put check in the mail to take this course in in Feb . Only wish John brings his advanced pistol and force on force classes to philly area.

P.s. I've been a lurker here for the past few years so welcome to me .

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tootie View Post
    DC and I will most likely be taking this course (foot willing). Bruce said my bum foot won't effect the course so I'm going on his word. I've wanted to take a course like this for a while so I'm really hoping that I can participate and get the full advantage of the lesson.
    Tootie, I took this course in 02 just after having a knee scoped and it was a bit bothersome for me just being on it all day, moving while presenting, reloading and any time you weren't shooting. Advil was my friend.

One drill we did was to run about 10 or 15 yards and back, doing a battlefield pickup of a handgun other than our own and placing shots where they were supposed to go. Aside from this, all presentations were done from concealment.

I would clarify with Bruce what amount of running or turning you will be doing with that ankle. I didn't notice if this class is indoors or out which could also affect turning and moving on a bad wheel.

We did a 3rd day ( separate class) which had a fair amount of vehicle tactics and shooting from within our vehicles as well.

Pricey, but well taught. Highly recommended. John had about 4 assistant instructors so the ratio of students to instructors was about 3 to 1.

If this class will involve low/light training with multiple flashlight holding techniques, I would invest in a good, thumb activated light of 60 lumens or so.

Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast