Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Close call by a fairly new shooter

I’ve been trying to teach a friend how to shoot a handgun for the past 6 months. So far, we’ve gone to the range around 8 times. I’ve of course spent a lot of time teaching her about safety issues (e.g., keep finger off trigger, keep gun pointed in safe direction, never assume gun is empty, etc.) Everything was going well until today’s range trip.

I just picked up a new Walther p22 yesterday and wanted to try it out. So, I grabbed the gun and ammo, picked her up and went to the range. About 3 mags into it, she finishes shooting, and turns around to walk back towards me (around 10 feet away from me). Well, I had instantly noticed two things. 1 the gun was pointed directly at me. And 2, the slide was NOT in the rearward position. I told her “don’t point that gun at me.” She says, “but I pulled the trigger and nothing happened” indicating that she thought it was empty. She then points the gun down towards the ground, walks to me, and hands me the gun. I position the gun so she can see it, racked the slide, and sure enough a live round came out. She gasped and said how sorry she was. I emphasized that this is why you never point a gun at somebody, you could’ve shot me. I can tell that she is upset about it. I don’t want her to be afraid to shoot anymore, but she does need to know how serious it could’ve ended.

So, there’s my story. I’d like to know what you the reader have or would do in that situation as I’m sure many of you had tried to teach new shooters and may have had similar situations.
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Close call by a fairly new shooter

Quote Originally Posted by JasonK007 View Post
    She gasped and said how sorry she was. I emphasized that this is why you never point a gun at somebody, you could’ve shot me. I can tell that she is upset about it.
    Sounds like you are done. The next step is to take her out shooting again soon so that she knows that she is forgiven.

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by KelBench400 View Post
    Sounds like you are done. The next step is to take her out shooting again soon so that she knows that she is forgiven.
    Well Said, glad you are safe!.

(Butler County)

In addition to muzzle control as she obviously had a FTF on the rimfire .22 you should teach her TRB next time out... (Tap Rack Bang). Anytime she gets a click vs. a bang her immediate reaction should be that procedure.

All new shooters are going to end up sweeping someone... it's quick, consistent, and clear correction with constant reminders and LOTS of instructor vigilance that ingrain correct safety habits.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Northampton County)

I’ve been trying to teach a friend how to shoot a handgun for the past 6 months. So far, we’ve gone to the range around 8 times. I’ve of course spent a lot of time teaching her about safety issues (e.g., keep finger off trigger, keep gun pointed in safe direction, never assume gun is empty, etc.) Everything was going well until today’s range trip.

I just picked up a new Walther p22 yesterday and wanted to try it out. So, I grabbed the gun and ammo, picked her up and went to the range. About 3 mags into it, she finishes shooting, and turns around to walk back towards me (around 10 feet away from me). Well, I had instantly noticed two things. 1 the gun was pointed directly at me. And 2, the slide was NOT in the rearward position. I told her “don’t point that gun at me.” She says, “but I pulled the trigger and nothing happened” indicating that she thought it was empty. She then points the gun down towards the ground, walks to me, and hands me the gun. I position the gun so she can see it, racked the slide, and sure enough a live round came out. She gasped and said how sorry she was. I emphasized that this is why you never point a gun at somebody, you could’ve shot me. I can tell that she is upset about it. I don’t want her to be afraid to shoot anymore, but she does need to know how serious it could’ve ended.

So, there’s my story. I’d like to know what you the reader have or would do in that situation as I’m sure many of you had tried to teach new shooters and may have had similar situations.
    I was thinking about taking my neighbor shooting for the first time. I too have a Walther P22 that I was thinking of having him shoot for his first time. I know how finky my P22 gets and that it loves to jam and sometimes the slide doesn't lock back on the final round and even I lose round count. I have two magazines for my P22 so I was only thinking about loading each magazine with 3 rounds to start off him off with and having him go through those. Since he would be a guest at my range we can only occupy one lane so I would be counting and watching each time he shot off a round. I would emphasize that when the final round is shot to always drop the magazine and rack the slide to ensure the gun is empty. The P22 has a magazine disconnect feature so if you drop the magazine even if there is a live round in the chamber the P22 will not fire the live round.

(Montgomery County)

Thnx for the replies so far. I am planning on taking her out again, possibly next week when it's supposed to be warmer. I def don't want her being turned off from guns because of one mishap. I've seen far worse from "experienced" shooters.
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

I've taken several friends shooting while the were 'green'. Ages ranging from 22 through 28. All of them muzzle swept me at one time or another at least once, and all of them had their fingers on triggers when they weren't supposed to once or twice.

When I took my 9 year old nephew out for his first date with the .22 rifle and some steel targets, I was not muzzle swept, his trigger discipline was excellent, and by the end of the afternoon he was smacking the 2" spinner with every round at 20 yards.

Go figure.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Signmaker View Post
    I've taken several friends shooting while the were 'green'. Ages ranging from 22 through 28. All of them muzzle swept me at one time or another at least once, and all of them had their fingers on triggers when they weren't supposed to once or twice.

When I took my 9 year old nephew out for his first date with the .22 rifle and some steel targets, I was not muzzle swept, his trigger discipline was excellent, and by the end of the afternoon he was smacking the 2" spinner with every round at 20 yards.

Go figure.
    Younger kids are easier to teach. They actually listen at that age... it all goes to hell as they enter the teenage years though.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by KelBench400 View Post
    This^^^^^^^^.

Get her back to the range as soon as you can. That had to be scary for both of you.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Venango County)

Though not as likely, there is always the possibility of a round cooking off or slow burning before igniting; especially if things have gotten hot by rapid fire.

One other thing I learned about showing people about firearms is you have to cover everything, including not looking down the barrel's business end if it fails to fire, but to keep it pointing down range and remove your finger from the trigger and wait for me to get the gun from you to clear it!
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast