Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default carrying a gun without a concealed-weapons permit

again with this poor information from the news.
    but heres the story.

Man charged with shooting other man in face in Carbon County
    November 10, 2009

Brian Paul-James Hines, 35, of Brodheadsville, is charged with attempted murder after state police said Hines shot Gary Hoffer, 31, of Kunkletown, in the face during an argument Monday evening on Lower Smith Gap Road in Lower Towamensing Township, Carbon County.

Police responded after being contacted at 6:30 p.m. Monday and learned the following:

Hines drove, with his girlfriend in the passenger seat, past Hoffer's home on Lower Smith Gap Road. Hoffer and a friend were coming out of the house when they saw Hines driving past.

Hines parked on a dirt road near the house. Hoffer and his friend got in Hoffer's vehicle and pulled up alongside Hines.

Hines and Hoffer started arguing about a piece of property that was missing. They got out of their vehicles and Hoffer walked up to Hines, continuing to argue, at which point Hines pulled out a pistol and shot Hoffer once in the face.

Police have not said which hospital Hoffer is in, but said he underwent surgery and that his condition is unknown. Hines has been charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault, simple assault, reckless endangerment, terroristic threats and carrying a gun without a concealed-weapons permit.

Hines is in Carbon County Correctional Facility, awaiting a district court preliminary hearing.
    http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/911109993
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: carrying a gun without a concealed-weapons permit

Once he got in a car, he needed an LTCF.

guess we're all guilty of that one

More than likely the cops wrote it up that way or gave it to the reporter over the phone that way and the reporter just repeated the incorrect terminology for the LTCF

Gee, maybe we need to come up with a "media guide to firearms terminology in Pennsylvania" to distribute to the media.

I don't see why so many here have such a conniption with the media referring to our LTCF as a CWP. Essentially, with a few exceptions, our LTCF allows us to carry a concealed handgun. What's the problem? Here's an article about a guy who shot someone in the face, illegally I'm assuming, and we're nit picking about the media's incorrect usage of the term CWP. Incredible.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarmanpa View Post
    guess we're all guilty of that one
    Yep, I confess, I carry concealed AND in my car without a concealed weapons permit all the time

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    More than likely the cops wrote it up that way or gave it to the reporter over the phone that way and the reporter just repeated the incorrect terminology for the LTCF

Gee, maybe we need to come up with a "media guide to firearms terminology in Pennsylvania" to distribute to the media.
    after I got my ltcf in the mail, I sent my friend who was a cop at the time a text saying "i got my ltcf" her response "wtf is that"

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    I don't see why so many here have such a conniption with the media referring to our LTCF as a CWP. Essentially, with a few exceptions, our LTCF allows us to carry a concealed handgun. What's the problem? Here's an article about a guy who shot someone in the face, illegally I'm assuming, and we're nit picking about the media's incorrect usage of the term CWP. Incredible.
    I don't think anyone has attempted to excuse this guy's actions.

Further, words are important, and when you're in the media, accuracy should be important.

I can just imagine what people would think of me if I were involved in a legitimate SD shooting and the headline read "Man uses unregistered automatic pistol with ammo designed to kill against father trying to feed his family".
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I don't think anyone has attempted to excuse this guy's actions.

Further, words are important, and when you're in the media, accuracy should be important.

I can just imagine what people would think of me if I were involved in a legitimate SD shooting and the headline read "Man uses unregistered automatic pistol with ammo designed to kill against father trying to feed his family".
    I completely agree. When the media talks about registered guns it definitely makes me cringe, but I think the whole LTCF, CCW, CWP issue has been blown way out of proportion.

There is no gun registry in PA, but there is something that allows us to carry a concealed "weapon." By weapon I mean the definition of firearm as used in the UFA to determine firearms that can be carried with a LTCF.

Referring to a gun registry is straight up incorrect.
    Referring to a CWP, ok, incorrect term, but essentially the same thing. If you pointed out the incorrect usage of CWP in this article to any non-gun enthusiast I'd be willing to bet they'd say, "so what? What does it matter?" Heck, I know a bunch of LTCF holders that even refer to it as a concealed weapon permit.

I feel people are making such an effort to bash the liberal media on this forum that they are concentrating on the tinniest details to do it and overlooking the bigger picture, like the guy in this article who is giving all gun owners a bad name.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    I completely agree. When the media talks about registered guns it definitely makes me cringe, but I think the whole LTCF, CCW, CWP issue has been blown way out of proportion.

There is no gun registry in PA, but there is something that allows us to carry a concealed "weapon." By weapon I mean the definition of firearm as used in the UFA to determine firearms that can be carried with a LTCF.

Referring to a gun registry is straight up incorrect.
    Referring to a CWP, ok, incorrect term, but essentially the same thing. If you pointed out the incorrect usage of CWP in this article to any non-gun enthusiast I'd be willing to bet they'd say, "so what? What does it matter?" Heck, I know a bunch of LTCF holders that even refer to it as a concealed weapon permit.

I feel people are making such an effort to bash the liberal media on this forum that they are concentrating on the tinniest details to do it and overlooking the bigger picture, like the guy in this article who is giving all gun owners a bad name.
    So just to pick out a few more "tiny details".....there are quite a few reasons that one might want or need a LTCF even if they never intend to actually conceal one on or about their person. I sometimes call mine my LTOCIP (License to Open Carry in Philly) or LTCDADSOE (License to carry during a declared state of emergency), etc., etc.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast