Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Unhappy Need help with a powder measure

I'm looking for some advice on a powder measure. I have a RCBS uniflow that seems to work ok with disc powders like Unique but reek havoc with Varget cylindrical. I just got finished reloading some 223 and was lucky if I could get 2 or 3 identical throws. I was thinking or replacing the adjusting screw assembly with the micrometer style but don't know if that would make any difference.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Need help with a powder measure

What was your range? Half a grain on a 25 grain charge is only 2%. Were you using the large cylinder assembly? Using the pistol cylinder for large charges will give you more error.

If you are expecting extruded powder to measure like ball or flake, you're setting yourself up to be disappointed.

(Wayne County)

Red face Re: Need help with a powder measure

I have a RCBS model 502 balance beam scale to check the throughs and some times it would not even budge the scale other times it topped it out then they would be dead on. I'm not sure what the range is but I would like to get a little more consistency.

(Delaware County)

If it is not lifting the beam one throw and maxing it out the next, you have a problem. Your measure should flow Varget at about +/- 0.5 grain. Are you trying to measure rifle charges using the pistol cylinder (is the volume screw turned way out)? If so, change to the large cylinder. Is the measure mounted securely? Work on your technique. When you operate the handle, is the trow smooth or are you backing off and bouncing it to cut the powder kernels? When the handle is in position to let the cylinder fill with the next charge, tap the measure a few times to settle the powder and get uniform fill.

If you absolutely have to try a new measure, the Lee Perfect measure does a very good job with extruded powder due to the plastic wiping edge. The thing feels more like a toy than a tool though, and it is not a very good choice for fine ball powders.

(Wayne County)

Unhappy Re: Need help with a powder measure

I'm not sure which cylinder is in there it came as a kit with the press but the screw is not all the way out. The stroke is usually smooth but once and a wile I can feel it cut the kernels. I have the unit mounted in one of the die holes in the turret head and it seems secure. Dose the micrometer style adjuster make much difference?

(Delaware County)

I don't see how the style of the adjusting screw could make a difference. Take it apart and measure your cylinder. The small one is .50 diameter, the large one is .69 diameter.

(Centre County)

Depends on how much loading you do. I switched from a Uniflow (I still have it though) to the Lyman 1200 DPS II, this is an electronic powder measure and scale. It dispenses the powder through basically an automated trickler (but much faster). My loads are typically +/- 0.05 grains or less, no matter what powder I run. I mainly use it for my .223 and my .204 Ruger, but use it when I load for other rifle calibers also. It's a little more expensive, although you can find it on sale at times and Wal-Mart stores here in State College carry it. I use a RCBS Little Dandy for my pistol reloading because of the large volume I do of that.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Schuylkill County)

Stick powders are a challenge for any set volume type measure.

If you are getting within half a grain you are good.

Powders vary as much as 7-10% from lot to lot... so your half a grain variance on a 25 grain load is 2% variance... well within limits. Shoot it... you will not know the difference.

(Wayne County)

Wink Re: Need help with a powder measure

Right now I'm only reloading 223 & 45acp but if Christmas pans out I'll be loading 38/357, 9 mm, 30 06, 300 Win mag, and 308. And the 308 for long distance accuracy. I might even upgrade to a new press possibly a progressive.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    If you absolutely have to try a new measure, the Lee Perfect measure does a very good job with extruded powder due to the plastic wiping edge. The thing feels more like a toy than a tool though, and it is not a very good choice for fine ball powders.
    Good advice here, I really like the Lee measure. For the price it's a great value. I've tried RCBS, Redding and Lyman powder measures and sold all of them. I always go back to my Lee Perfect Powder measure. I have no complaints about consistency with it and I've been using the same one for more than 10 years.
    If you have trouble with fine ball powders I'll bet you're having a problem with powder leaking out around the rotor. If that's the case, you can tighten the Phillips head screw that holds it together just a LITTLE BIT at a time until the leakage stops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast