Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Open Carry in Bucks, Montgomery, Chester Areas

I'm in Bucks County, and I've been looking at info on this topic all day now. I've lived here in PA since 1992, and I have never seen someone open carrying in my area. Until recently, I didn't even know it was legal, which seems to be the norm for a lot of people.

All of the OC experiences I've read about today on this forum seem to be from NE PA or West PA, with none in the Bucks, Montgomery, or Chester County areas.

I stopped today at a local gunshop and asked the guy there if he knew of anyone in the area who OCed, and he said "no way, around here if you do that, legal or not, you're probably going to get arrested for disturbing the peace or something similar."

How accurate is this? Is there ANYONE in my area with experience open carrying?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Open Carry in Bucks, Montgomery, Chester Areas

I tried it for the first time last night at Walmart at 10 and 30 not a single person as far as I know even glanced.Tommorow gotta get a haircut we'll see about that one lol

(Lancaster County)

I open carry at the King of Prussia Mall all the time. Who cares if it makes some folks uncomfortable? If they don't like seeing people walking around with a gun then they can just vote for anti-gun candidates and we can leave it at that. And, if a violent criminal actor is intent on carrying out a crime, then they probably will see my gun and aim for me first, but hey, that's why I carry a gun!

(Montgomery County)

Listen, most of the people on this site are right that open carry is legal. However, In this area...the cops will most likely give you a very hard time since even most cops don't know its legal. In the summer months I would like to OC but I would only OC if I dident already have a LTCF since my DA's firearms detective tole me he would ask the sheriff to take away my LTCF if I was ever caught open carrying. Now I know he's wrong and if he had the phucking balls to do that I would take him all the way and reverse the situation if I could, but it's really not worth the trouble if your OC alone, they will try to harass you. I know alot of people on this forum are in the right, but I don't think alot of people live in the burbs like we kinda do. Most of the people from this forum are from rural areas it seems and I wouldent worry about OC if I was them either.

(Bucks County)

I live in Montgomery, and actually moving to Bucks in the near future. I'm more geared toward concealed carry in general, but in the last couple weeks I've been OCing more because it's just a lot more comfortable in this weather. I've been a bunch in a bunch of places since doing OC, and I haven't had much reaction at all.
    The most I got have been a sudden look downward at my waist upon leaving Walmart, by the 90 y/o "greeter" (who incidentally doesn't even do that.. just sits there.) Beyond that, no reaction at all elsewhere.

I was actually in Bristol earlier today looking at house listings with my agent, and on the way home stopped at the first TP rest-stop, where I saw vehicles from maine, massachusetts, and of course NJ being that it's only a couple miles to the border. I did actually take pleasure in thinking how freaked out some of those people might have been, especially from NJ.

(Philadelphia County)

The montgomery county sheriffs department has stated in the past that they will arrest you for open carry. Frankly, i'd welcome it as such an action is the equivalent of writing me and my lawyer a blank check

(Delaware County)

I live in Delaware County in the NW corner right by Chester and Montgomery counties.
    OC all the time in all 3 counties - never had an issue - OC past Radnor PD all the time.
    this morning's errands - WaWa in Strafford, Sunoco in Devon, Whole Foods in Devon - no one even noticed.....

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    The montgomery county sheriffs department has stated in the past that they will arrest you for open carry. Frankly, i'd welcome it as such an action is the equivalent of writing me and my lawyer a blank check
    Yes, im pretty sure they would, when I talked to the det. over there he made it sound like..."I don't care if it's legal or not, if you carry open you will be delt with and possibly lose your LTCF" paraphrasing of course. I then asked him, "so in all your time as the head Det. for the DA, you never came across a person open carrying?" he then said "One time a loooooong time ago we had someone who looked like he came staight outta texas with a pistol on his hip, other than that we have no had any problems". It really pisses me off that they inforce opinion enforcement, rather than law enforcement...show me the law bastard...they can't because it dosent't exist!

Also about the blank check, It is really hard to know the outcome even though you are in the right. Hey if I felt like doing that, I would to change their opinon. But frankly I don't have the time or the money to get lawyers and you never know what type of judge you will have...nothing is guaranteed but you would be in the right.
    Last edited by jkroner659; July 21st, 2007 at 12:27 PM.

There is a bunch of Joisey people living in Bucks county. I know, my neighbor just moves over from there and he says he likes guns, but he admits that he has no gun in his residence. I told him well you basically in a free state now, go out and buy a gun, any gun! He thought I was a crazy red neck or something, he he heh....

Anyway, I took the guy to a local gunshop where he bought a Bersa 380, not bad......he was amazed and told me how easy it is in a free state! The guy was loving it here......he he hehh. In anycase, I think Bucks county is bordering Joisey, and I think we should be a beacon of freedom for the folks that still live in tyrany there, LOL

1FingrCHan

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Re: Open Carry in Bucks, Montgomery, Chester Areas

Well I just had to go out to lunch with my wife to Bertucci's in Bryn Mawr (Montgomery County) and OC to see for myself.
    I sat with my firearm side out on the main aisle of the restaurant.

Other than one guy doing a double take as he was leaving - no issues....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast