Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Open Carry in Lackawanna Co. Particulary Dunmore and Scranton

In the vein of other posts .................I decided to open carry around town.

I think my experiences are going to be a little different. I am a 57 year old fat guy, going bald with a gut. I was wearing sweatpants, a tee shirt that said " I am not a team player" and sneaks. Because of my belly and the sweats a typical IWB/OWB holster won't work. I usually carry in a fanny pack when I am in my slob mode. I DO NOT LOOK LIKE A COP!. Just a frumpy fat guy with a gun.

Today I decided to openly carry my CZ40P in DeSantis NY Undercover rig, with the spare magazine hanging on the weak side. Its just more comfortable. And I look like Sonny Crockett ,with a beer belly.I usually just sit in the car as the Boss does her shopping thing. Today I accompanied her to a few stores.

We went to the Price Chopper on Main ave. in Taylor, no problem ,although we weren't there long.

We had a bite to eat at the Keystone Restaurant on N. Main ave Scranton. No problems. The owner, Mike busted my wife about my gun. " You better be careful he has a gun" he said .To which she replied" I am not afraid of HIM with a gun" Gotta love her, I guess it pays to take here shooting occasionally.

The topper of the day was our foray into Price Rite. Price Rite seems to cater to the area's immigrant population. English is a foreign language, after Spanish and Chinese. They sell lottsa rice. But I digress.

As I walked in, some dude who was walking out did a neck spin. He kept looking back at me, as if he couldn't believe his eyes. The Boss and I had a chuckle, then went inside. We only get a few things in this store, mainly because they are real cheap. After about five mins. in the store we made our way to checkout, My CZ was flopping around slightly as I unloaded the cart. The young woman with the full sleeve of tats on her left arm, surely noticed but was un-fazed. She laughed at our jokes, took our money and wished us farewell. I pack the bags and we left. Pushed the cart to my Caddy, popped the trunk, a few old women who where getting out of a car, gave me a look. You know hairy eyeballs.

The funny part was as we were leaving the parking lot ,first one, the two Scranton Police units rolled up and the officers ran into the store. As I drove past the first two units a third rolled up and ran inside............................................ .................................................. .............................................

Gee I wonder what was going on? Disgression being the better part of valor, I decided NOT to stop and ask.

Maybe Scranton PD needs to edumakate the 911 operators.

Think I'll try this again next week.
    Last edited by cz_40p; July 21st, 2007 at 12:17 PM.
    Ruger P345 (45ACP)
    Colt Trooper (.357 Mag)
    CZ 40 P (40S&W)
    CZ 100 (9 MM)
    TZ 75 (9MM)
    Bersa Thunder 380 (.380)
    Ruger Mark II (.22)
    Heritage Arms Rough Rider (.22)
    (2)Phoenix Arms HP22 (.22)

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Open Carry in Lackawanna Co. Particulary Dunmore and Scranton

"Think I'll try this again next week."
    I think that you should try this again next week, and the week after that, and then keep trying it every week from then until eternity.

Let us know how it works out for you and if any of those Scranton cops try to give you a hard time, you just let them know that it is PERFECTLY LEGAL to open carry in PA. Heck, let them know that the PA Supreme Court says it is LEGAL. Silly cops. Sometimes you just gotta explain stuff to them, but you are the man for the job.

(Lackawanna County)

"I think my experiences are going to be a little different. I am a 57 year old fat guy, going bald with a gut. I was wearing sweatpants, a tee shirt that said " I am not a team player" and sneaks. Because of my belly and the sweats a typical IWB/OWB holster won't work. I usually carry in a fanny pack when I am in my slob mode. I DO NOT LOOK LIKE A COP!. Just a frumpy fat guy with a gun."

You know it just occurred to me that having a beer belly actually might make me look more like a Scranton cop. Maybe an off duty Sgt.
    Ruger P345 (45ACP)
    Colt Trooper (.357 Mag)
    CZ 40 P (40S&W)
    CZ 100 (9 MM)
    TZ 75 (9MM)
    Bersa Thunder 380 (.380)
    Ruger Mark II (.22)
    Heritage Arms Rough Rider (.22)
    (2)Phoenix Arms HP22 (.22)

(Lackawanna County)

Question Re: Open Carry in Lackawanna Co. Particulary Dunmore and Scranton

I'm new to the Lackawanna area after serving with my Uncle for 15 years. I love the fact that I can carry in the great state of PA. It took me all of 5 mins to obtain my CCW from LCSO. I continue to training on a weekly basis to maintain proficiency with my weapons. Can some please explain the whole Open Carry thing to me? There seems to be some confusion in many of the threads. Some say it's your right use it or lose it. Others say it's just a way to get your LCTF seized and have yourself arrested.

(Monroe County)

Bill, its your right not your duty, Women have the right to abortion but most dont get one. A very simple concept of constitutional criminal law is that any action that is prohibited must be codified so the world is put on notice as to what is illegal and can "follow the law". Since PA does not have a statute making it illegal to carry a handgun openly (as opposed to concealed which is illegal w/o a license) it can not be illegal. Obviously an unscrupulous LEO could try to find a violation of another statute such as disturbing the peace or disorderly conduct, it is unlikely such a charge would stick if the only conduct is walking around with a holstered firearm. However, I believe somehow none of this applies to the State of Philadelphia

cz-40, keep us informed, and when the coppers catch you red-handed ask them to cite which section of law they believe you have violated. BTW, you may want to have a copy of the relevant case law on hand to show the Sargent.
    Last edited by wewo; September 4th, 2007 at 01:26 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Bill, first off, WELCOME.

As for legalities of carry, particularly open carry take some time and visit the two 'stickied' threads at the top of this carry forum.

WHere you can and can't carry:
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...nsylvania.html

and the Pa Gun Rights Flyer (which is a good summary on OC and CC:
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...carry-you.html

Also more info available at www.paopencarry.org and for a national open carry site w/discussion there is www.opencarry.org

As for the issues of LTCF revocation, that is essentially only if you do something bad OR, in the context of your question, in the case of a sheriff that does not understand the laws (not uncommon) OC is not a violation of LTCF terms per the letter of the law but that doesn't mean that a rogue or ignorant sheriff wouldn't try to do it. There are stories out there that it has been done..

(Allegheny County)

And if something bad were to happen, and they tried to take your LTCF, just let us know, I'm sure we can get it back when we point out the lawsuits you can file

(Lackawanna County)

This has to be the most informative website for anyone who wants to know about their second amendment rights. I love my full size 1911 but I could not get away with concealing it during the summer months. So it goes, winter means flannels and full size 45's. With my right to open carry I plan on making it an all year event. Thanks guys.

(Monroe County)

Despite all our layman's advice your best bet is to consult with a lawyer specializing in the area since you plan on OCing regularly.