Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default working for UPS?

Does anyone here work for UPS, or has anyone ever done the seasonal help thing for them?
    I've been patching together work for what feels like forever, and haven't had any luck with applications or even landing many interviews. UPS is hiring seasonal help, with a possibility of being kept on after Christmas.
    Is it worth it? The pay isn't great, but it's pay. No benefits unless they would decide to keep me, if I got in, but I haven't had benefits for a long time now anyway. Anyone done this, or have any suggestions?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: working for UPS?

I worked for UPS many years ago and the initials Under Paid Slaves rang true. Depending on where you work it will be a very rough job. And the Job was never like the training video, I hated the job and left after 6 months and I had just come off of Active duty Army at the time.
    Last edited by DennisH82; November 9th, 2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Edit

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Huggy View Post
    Does anyone here work for UPS, or has anyone ever done the seasonal help thing for them?
    I've been patching together work for what feels like forever, and haven't had any luck with applications or even landing many interviews. UPS is hiring seasonal help, with a possibility of being kept on after Christmas.
    Is it worth it? The pay isn't great, but it's pay. No benefits unless they would decide to keep me, if I got in, but I haven't had benefits for a long time now anyway. Anyone done this, or have any suggestions?
    Reading the OP I would say beggars can't be choosers (that is not to say you are a beggar, but you get the point). I bolded a few points that I thought should give you perspective. If you can land it grab it. IMO it may not be the best, but it's better than nothing.

(Lancaster County)

I currently am employed by UPS. As a loader, it's hard work, as I load trailers from floor to ceiling, front to back, while scanning each package bar code and ensuring it has a zipcode that belongs in that run.

I have been a stay at home dad for over 5 years and have a class A CDL but still watch a 3 year old during the day. So, working twilight sort for a year or so till the crumb cruncher heads off to pre-k works well for me.

Then I will be looking to transfer into a driver position with UPS. I'm not seasonal, I was hired as a permanent part time employee last month. I had to join the union and will be getting benefits after probationary period ends.

I know UPS is hiring seasonal employees now and may possibly be hiring permanent part timers as well. I got the listing for the job I have now from AOL jobs.

Whatever you do, Good luck to you.

Paul

I worked for UPS as a seasonal truck unloader. I think thats the hardest job because all the other jobs are focused on yours. There are 30 trucks being loaded, but only 2-4 (at a time) being UNloaded. ALL the boxes have to go through you. YOU handle every box. They push you to the point of breaking to see how fast you can go and you must maintain your peek performance for the entire time your working. If you slack for one second, they scream at you to keep going. Then even tell you that if you have a bag of the smaller parcels,...to just throw them down the line. Then of course they play favorites, they'll tell you to be delicate with the packages at the same time they're ordering you to throw them. I've been screamed at by the supervisor to do one thing and I'm watching them laugh at another employee who stacked up boxes and plowed through them like a football player, then punted the remaining boxes like footballs.

UPS is a freaking hole, i have NO idea how the rumor started that it was this awesome place to work.

I like the underpaid slaves thing. I was a very young man at the time of this work, had lived on a farm, etc etc. Hard work was no stranger to me. I also worked out regularly. My back hurt so bad, when I got out of my car one time when I got home from work, it sized up and I fell over in the snow. And I've had numerous motocross injuries with skeletal surjires before, I'm no baby.

That place should be shut down

(York County)

I hear they have great french benefits...

While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Huggy View Post
    I worked there for 4 years as a loader, unloader, and sorter. As others have said, the work is fairly demanding - for 4/5 hours you will be constantly moving and lifting. And it just isn't physical - if you're a loader (or what they call a "pickoff" erson, you'll have to memorize a bunch of zip codes and know where each package goes. You have to be quick. mentally and physically. You'll be constantly tested.

Some of the horror stories are true - pacakges being thrown, dropped, punted, etc. God forbid the wrong person got a package marked "fragile". But there are/were some really good people there who just want to earn extra money. I remember that the really good "seasonal help" employees were offered permament positions.

Yes, it's union. You'll owe dues every month. It seems like alot considering the meager paycheck you'll get. But if you need the $$$ and don't mind a workout ( I lost ALOT of weight working there) then go for it. If you don't like it, you can leave. They were (and I'm sure still are) used to a high turnaround.

IMO, you have nothing to lose by checking it out.

Eric

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I hear they have great french benefits...

My UPS guy actually looks like that.

Weird shit, but Id hit him.