Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Beretta 92 or Sig 226?

Not too many years ago, I took a reasonably intensive pistol course at ITI (International Training Institute) outside of Richmond, VA. We practiced with the Sig and the Beretta (as those were the two possibilities of our prospective duty weapons). Then when the question was asked as to which one we should have issued to us, the instructors did two things. 1.) they asked us which one "felt better" and which one we "Liked better." (In my case, that was the Sig.) 2.) Then we shot the same course of fire with each pistol, I don't remember the full course but it was at short to medium realistic ranges, including barricades, strong and weak sides, various positions and whatever else the instructors could do to make it realistic.
    --After comparing the scores for each pistol, the instructors said that the smart thing would be to take the pistol that scored higher. In my case, I cleaned the course with the Beretta, and dropped one point with the Sig...so Beretta it was for me.
    I have nothing bad to say about the Sig, and your experience could be just the opposite. ( In my case, I'd like a few do-overs to see if the one dropped point was a fluke,) but the instructors point still stands. It matters not what I "like" but I should use what shoots the best when I am behind the grip.
    If you can get a chance to shoot the two pistols (have any friends who own them?) I'd set up some sort of course of fire. Understand that you can't take ALL the other variables out of the equation, but try to minimize them as best you can. Either way, you will end up with a fine pistol that should serve you well in the event you really have to put lead downrange against a threat.

The Beretta does have a large grip. I can handle it, but it probably wouldn't do for me if my hands were any smaller. I don't own a Sig, so I can't remember what the grip felt like, other than I really liked the pistol.

However, I have 100% confidence in the Beretta, and when I carry it, I know I can use it effectively, and that is what counts.

Cheers,
    Scott

(Montgomery County)

I have the 92 in both blue and Inox, a 96 in DAO, a SIG 226 and a SIG P6 (all bar the 96 are 9mm). As mentioned above, fire all you can lay your hands on, then choose the one that "fits and functions best for you!" I have no problems with any of them (5' 8" 170 lbs, medium hands).
    The P226 lost to the 92 in the Army trials on price alone.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    Sig 226, no question about it.

The Sig has a much better DA pull (best factory DA pull on a non-striker fired gun in the industry, in my opinion).
    i have both and much prefer the SIG 226. best DA i have ever shot. this comment does not apply to P6 (military contract single stack P225 types).

(Delaware County)

i use to have some Beretta 92's, then i got a Sig. liked the trigger alot more, liked the decocker better and the lack of a manual safety. the Sig has been more accurate for me too. I'd choose the Sig.

that being said, back when I carried the 92, i had 100% confidence in and still would. I just like the Sig better.

(Lancaster County)

I'm hoping to pickup a 228 in the next few weeks and eventually I want to get an elite dark in .40

(Bucks County)

Love my 92, as I should seeing how I was an idiot and paid an absurd amount for it...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    Berettas uses a rotating cylinder assembly for loading (unlike the traditional "drop and load" barrel function in other semis). The barrel is thus constantly aligned. Some analysts consider the function more accurate. Some analysts think that it happens so quickly that it isn't noticable.

But you rarely hear about accuracy issues with a Beretta.

Edit: If you are looking for CC work, the 92 is a bit large. You'd be better off looking at a Cougar - same workings and same controls as a 92. It's just a bit smaller.
    The above is only correct for Beretta/Stoeger Cougars and the PX4 series. Not the 92 series.

(Chester County)

Talking Re: Beretta 92 or Sig 226?

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    For those playing along at home:

Sig 226

Sig 226 Stainless

Beretta 92FS

Beretta 92FS Inox (pure sex)

And for fun, the Beretta/Stoeger Cougar

Paradigm - While that stainless Beretta is pure sex it's certainly not a 92FS INOX (note the heavier slide and the frame mounted decocker/safety) - I think it's actually a 96 Steel I - but I'm not certain. I am certain that I want one though

(Luzerne County)

The Beretta is a large pistol for a 9mm.

The SIG is about perfect in size for a -full size- 9mm.

The Beretta uses a locking lug insert in the barrel as the barrel doesn't drop like the SIG and other Browning type autoloaders. This makes the SIG a little bit simpler in construction.

Both pistols are very easy to clean and maintain. You can also get reliable magazines for both pistols for more than 15 rounds.

Both pistols are quite accurate. Both pistols lock up nice and tight.

The SIG is better suited for +p ammo as the frame rails are full length. The slide rides the full length of the frame on a SIG where the slide only rides at certain points on the Beretta.

I know both pistols well. I don't have a P226 yet but I do own a P220 and they are basically the same thing. I've shot the P226 and it fits very well in my hand. It is the next pistol on my list.

I have a Beretta 92FS and it is a very nice top shelf item that I will never part with but.. A SIG P226 is an almost perfect pistol to me. I can't wait to own one.

Either one will serve you well and either one will put a smile on your face.

If you want a damn sexy 92FS Inox, Midwest Gun Works has some new old stock Italian ones for sale. Hubba Hubba

If you go with SIG, check out SIGforum and the classified section. There are a few dealers (pay attention to how old they are as a member as well as post count) who offer pretty good prices.

Good luck

(Schuylkill County)

If you are looking for a nock around gun that will shoot ok and will do what you want then the 92F is the way to go it's like a Chevy.
    Now if you want a firearm that will out shoot almost all others and do it with prestige you get the P226, it's the Porsche. they dont compare to each other,
    as they are in different leagues.

P226 is my vote.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast