Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default First time pheasant hunting.

Well this was my first real time Pheasant hunting. This was also my cousins first hunt ever.

We met up with a local friend of mine Older John and his son younger John along with his Brittany and his sons 3 hounds. We met up around 9am at SGL #43. We talked to a few people who said they saw a few but didn't get anything. We walked a small field by the parking area and didn't put anything up so we decided to change directions and head to the other side of the game lands.

We get into the first field and We were chatting going over everything, how we are going to work it etc. Making sure my cousin had it ingrained in him "don't shoot the dogs" While we were talking, we weren't paying attention to the dogs and the Brittany flushed one and we all watched as it flew safely away to a field far far away.

We walked through the fields with two of us on each side of the hedgerow, I with little john and my cousin with older john. One of the hounds put up another it flew to the right (towards my cousin and the older John) BANG BANG BANG... nothing... but I was happy, at least my cousin got to get a shot off, which is more than I ever got on my first trip out.

A little later we are working another field, molly put up another one! BANG BANG BANG. The younger John and I shot and my cousin some how got a shot off. I hit it and molly retrieved a very nice cock bird. This was the first time I actually shot a pheasant!!! Got my first one!! That was 3 birds kicked up! Great day!

On to another field, we are walking and I kick up a hen... scared the hsit out of me but I manage to get a shot off... missing... flew over the hedgerow where both Johns were working. They called up my cousin as they saw where it landed and let him go after it. ... about 10 minutes later... BANG!!! one shot, got the bird, his first bird!!

That was the 4th bird we kicked up!

On to another field We are pushing through a field on the way back to the vehicles and the older John kicks up a bird.. BANG BANG.. Brittany recovered and we got our 3rd bird which was the 5th one we kicked up!!

Younger John left and my cousin, older John and myself went to another field where we had no luck, I tripped over some loose rock and banged up my knee pretty bad so we went back to the parking lot to eat, it was about 3:40pm and we hadn't eaten since about 8am... . Older John called it quits and my cousin and I left to go find some squirrel. After getting into the woods and not seeing anything we decided to head back to the car and head home considering it was about 4:45

There was a field next to where we parked and we still had 20 minutes to hunt so we figured what the hell. We push the field. We get to the end and I'm just about to tell my cousin to pack it in and he kicks up another one!! BANG BANG BANG... misses all around. We walked back to the car with smiles from ear to ear talking about everything we did and saw today. What a great day!!

We kicked up 6 birds today!

What a great time!! It was perfect in every way!! My cousin is hooked and can't wait to go again. I'm glad I finally have someone in my family to hit the woods with and I'm thankful every day that both Johns (Father and Son) were so willing to put the time in and teach us the right way to do things.

No amount of thanks will ever be enough to really show how much my cousin and I appreciated their time and knowledge. We look forward to going out again.

My Cousin:

Don't go yelling about his finger on the muzzle, the pic was staged, gun unloaded and I already told him about it :-)

Me:

Default Re: First time pheasant hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by soup View Post
    Well this was my first real time Pheasant hunting. This was also my cousins first hunt ever.

We met up with a local friend of mine Older John and his son younger John along with his Brittany and his sons 3 hounds. We met up around 9am at SGL #43. We talked to a few people who said they saw a few but didn't get anything. We walked a small field by the parking area and didn't put anything up so we decided to change directions and head to the other side of the game lands.

We get into the first field and We were chatting going over everything, how we are going to work it etc. Making sure my cousin had it ingrained in him "don't shoot the dogs" While we were talking, we weren't paying attention to the dogs and the Brittany flushed one and we all watched as it flew safely away to a field far far away.

We walked through the fields with two of us on each side of the hedgerow, I with little john and my cousin with older john. One of the hounds put up another it flew to the right (towards my cousin and the older John) BANG BANG BANG... nothing... but I was happy, at least my cousin got to get a shot off, which is more than I ever got on my first trip out.

A little later we are working another field, molly put up another one! BANG BANG BANG. The younger John and I shot and my cousin some how got a shot off. I hit it and molly retrieved a very nice cock bird. This was the first time I actually shot a pheasant!!! Got my first one!! That was 3 birds kicked up! Great day!

On to another field, we are walking and I kick up a hen... scared the hsit out of me but I manage to get a shot off... missing... flew over the hedgerow where both Johns were working. They called up my cousin as they saw where it landed and let him go after it. ... about 10 minutes later... BANG!!! one shot, got the bird, his first bird!!

That was the 4th bird we kicked up!

On to another field We are pushing through a field on the way back to the vehicles and the older John kicks up a bird.. BANG BANG.. Brittany recovered and we got our 3rd bird which was the 5th one we kicked up!!

Younger John left and my cousin, older John and myself went to another field where we had no luck, I tripped over some loose rock and banged up my knee pretty bad so we went back to the parking lot to eat, it was about 3:40pm and we hadn't eaten since about 8am... . Older John called it quits and my cousin and I left to go find some squirrel. After getting into the woods and not seeing anything we decided to head back to the car and head home considering it was about 4:45

There was a field next to where we parked and we still had 20 minutes to hunt so we figured what the hell. We push the field. We get to the end and I'm just about to tell my cousin to pack it in and he kicks up another one!! BANG BANG BANG... misses all around. We walked back to the car with smiles from ear to ear talking about everything we did and saw today. What a great day!!

We kicked up 6 birds today!

What a great time!! It was perfect in every way!! My cousin is hooked and can't wait to go again. I'm glad I finally have someone in my family to hit the woods with and I'm thankful every day that both Johns (Father and Son) were so willing to put the time in and teach us the right way to do things.

No amount of thanks will ever be enough to really show how much my cousin and I appreciated their time and knowledge. We look forward to going out again.

My Cousin:

Don't go yelling about his finger on the muzzle, the pic was staged, gun unloaded and I already told him about it :-)

Me:

You need a haircut!!!

Hey, GREAT!!!! good to hear your first bird hunt was a success!!!!!!!

(York County)

Sounds like a great time! I wish I knew someone with a dog to partner with... My grandpa used to get Pheasants all the time with his two Beagles. I have kicked up a pheasant in the past though while just taking a walk & it startled the crap out of me!
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

Quote Originally Posted by 87th PVI View Post
    Sounds like a great time! I wish I knew someone with a dog to partner with... My grandpa used to get Pheasants all the time with his two Beagles. I have kicked up a pheasant in the past though while just taking a walk & it startled the crap out of me!
    2 1/2 hr drive, your there!!!