Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FYI

Default FYI

Just a FYI, apparently you can't purchase an ar lower in pa if youre under 21....kinda made me mad...

(Chester County)

Default Re: FYI

Quote Originally Posted by blysccr View Post
    Just a FYI, apparently you can't purchase an ar lower in pa if youre under 21....kinda made me mad...
    Thas been a lot of talk about that on here. IMO, it's not legally accurate, but the PSP is trying to enforce that, anyway.

i was really bummed out... they are the only place local to me at school (state college) that had a pretty decent price on DPMS lowers (130) and i was gonna get it tonight and sit and look at it, instead of go partying like most college kids...so i went and tied flies instead...lol

(Jefferson County)

The ATF started it.. The PSP just twisted it around.. Its gonna be a year pretty soon since this has been policy.

A virgin receiver without a shoulder stock is not a rifle or shotgun, so it is treated much like a pistol grip only shotgun - which you need to be 21 for a FFL to transfer it to you.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

It's been a while since the last go-round on this, but you actually can't buy any guns at all from a dealer until you're 21, except for rifles and shotguns. A stripped receiver isn't a rifle or shotgun yet. That's why you can make a pistol from a stripped, virgin AR-15 type lower, without violating the Federal law that says you can't make a handgun from a rifle without complying with the NFA.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

i had no idea, i mean i was aware you could make it a handgun, but didn't put the two together. crazy how you can vote, go to war, be considered a "man" but can't buy alcohol or handguns...but i know i'm not the first one to bring that up lol

(Berks County)

So is a Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip only (no shoulder stock) not considered a long gun? (like this: http://www.arms.ru/Guns/drobovik/mossberg_cruiser.jpg)

Would you need to be 21 to buy one? Would a private transfer need to go through a FFL?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    So is a Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip only (no shoulder stock) not considered a long gun? (like this: http://www.arms.ru/Guns/drobovik/mossberg_cruiser.jpg)

Would you need to be 21 to buy one? Would a private transfer need to go through a FFL?
    It's not considered a "rifle" or "shotgun" because of the lack of shoulder stock by the ATF and federal laws/reg. So for a FFL to transfer it under federal standards you have to be 21. But the PSP doesn't considered* one to be a "firearm", so no state form to fill out. Intrastate private transfers are not regulated by the Fed Govt, and since the PSP doesn't include one to be a firearm, you can buy/sell privately as you desire.

*Although, the PSP may or may not be trying to add the PG-only shotguns as a firearm like they are doing AR-15's. I haven't bought one in awhile to say for sure about the PSP.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    It's not considered a "rifle" or "shotgun" because of the lack of shoulder stock by the ATF and federal laws/reg. So for a FFL to transfer it under federal standards you have to be 21. But the PSP doesn't considered* one to be a "firearm", so no state form to fill out. Intrastate private transfers are not regulated by the Fed Govt, and since the PSP doesn't include one to be a firearm, you can buy/sell privately as you desire.

*Although, the PSP may or may not be trying to add the PG-only shotguns as a firearm like they are doing AR-15's. I haven't bought one in awhile to say for sure about the PSP.
    The PA record of sale form is for all guns other than rifles or shotguns, I believe. So a shotgun without a stock should require both forms, and I believe it's been done that way for a long time; at least, I remember Edelman's on Rte 309 treating a PG shotgun like a handgun, and Edelman's has been gone for maybe 10 years.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    The PA record of sale form is for all guns other than rifles or shotguns, I believe. So a shotgun without a stock should require both forms, and I believe it's been done that way for a long time; at least, I remember Edelman's on Rte 309 treating a PG shotgun like a handgun, and Edelman's has been gone for maybe 10 years.
    So what should someone do if they purchased a PG shotgun in the past through a private FTF sale without any paperwork?
    Last edited by anonymouse; November 6th, 2009 at 03:24 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast