Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default Springfield 1911 Micro compact prob...

Hey guys...so this is my first gun post and hopefully someone can give me a little insight here...

So I bought a Springfield 1911 micro compact a while back. I heard from many sorces that they are finnicky about what ammo you use, and that you really do have to break them in with about 500 rounds before they become a reliable pistol.
    People all said that until it's broke in, you will have feed issues.

well I have just over 500 rounds through it, and I'm still having feed issues. I've tried different types of ammo, and although it likes FMJs the most, I still have feed problems every now and again.

I really like this gun. It feels good in my hand, shoots well (when it shoots), and is lightweight and compact enuff to make a great carry pistol if not for the feed issues.

Has anyone here heard of these problems in these guns, or know of a solution to this??? Sending it in to Springfield is a last resort, as it WILL feed ammo at times, and I can picture them feeding ammo through it with no problems, sending it back to me having not done a thing to it, and I'm still stuck with an unreliable carry piece.

Any input is greatly apreciated!

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Springfield 1911 Micro compact prob...

First thing I would do is field strip it, clean it, oil it and put it back together. Make sure you don't have anything funky going on with the feed ramp. Go to the range and see if it is better. If not, I would try different mags...sometimes dif mags work better with a certain firearm. Just my $.02 after taxes...

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Lycoming County)

Thanks for the reply!!!

As much as I would like for that to be the issue, I have torn the gun apart and cleaned it a bunch of times already. I tried a wilson mag at the range once, and although it worked BETTER, it was still not 100%

I should also add that if i add a drop of oil to the ramp, itll feed great on the first mag, but after that, it still jams. It seems like with these guns, the ramp is pretty steep, probably because of it being a shrunken down 1911 that you would have to change that angle to be able to shrink the size down..I dont know what you could do to change that.

As far as the mags go, I only have factory mags for it. and although the Wilson mag I tried on the range was not 100% reliable, maybe with different ammo it wouldve worked alot better. But I have yet to find 6 roung 1911 mags for sale that resemble that of a Wilson, and Wilson doesnt make 6 round mags as far as I know.

Sounds like you might have a case for a little polishing of the feed ramp.

(Lycoming County)

Would the ramp have to have decent marks on it in order for that to be the problem? Although the ramp has some wear marks on it, it feels smooth to the touch - no marks on it that are big enuff to make me think thats an issue, but its something to think about.

(Chester County)

I hate to give you the bad news but thoses guns are known for these problems. I am a 1911 fan and the 1911 was designed to have a 5 inch BBL. You can have great results with commander size slide 4.25 inchs but anything less then that you can have real issues. I have a colt officers acp(OACP 3.5 bbl) and it runs but once in a while the last round FTF.

These little pistols eat recoil springs like mad. My OACP needs a new spring every 300 rounds. I love the 1911 but I will not buy another 1911 with less then 5 inch BBL.

If you want post the exact type of Jam you are having. What exact slide length you have. Does the brass look chewed up when ejected(very common for SA) Thats an extractor issue. Do you have a shok buffer in that little pistol( thats a no no) for that size gun. We need more info to help you. What weight recoil spring are you running. ect

If you like the little 45 acp look into a glock. I have a glock 17 and the thing runs like hell!!! I know the debate about glock vs 1911. I have both now and the glock has its place. I never thought I would say that but it is true. I want a baby glock in 9mm for ccw.

The SA micros are not the best choice for a small 1911. People have had very good results with the colt defender. Better recoil set up over the OACP. I dont want to go to a 3 inch BBL so I dont bother. 3.5 OACP is small enough for me. The best 45 acp in a 1911 for ccw is a CCO that is a 4.25 commander slide on a OACP frame. Best of both worlds. small frame to ccw and big enough slide for reliability. If the micro is a OACP size frame get a commander size slide and you will have a cco.

(Lawrence County)

Tell me what exact malfunction you have. I can probably get you running.

Lycanallmygunsfeedemptiesfromthemagthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

If all else fails you could go to Corbon pow'r ball ammo.
    They hurt in the wallet, but are designed to feed as ball ammo.

OR

Try and find jhp's with the largest radius on the nose of the bullet.
    Remington's usually have a fairly round nose.

The micro is a .45 if I'm not mistaken.
    With a short barrel I wouldn't be opposed to carrying ball ammo.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Wayne County)

Talking Re: Springfield 1911 Micro compact prob...

I had a colt officers model that was a little finicky I started to use a synthetic oil that was supposed to bond with the metal I also switched to Remington Golden Saber ammo and it was 100% better. I also polished the feed ramp.

(Lycoming County)

Basically what is happening is when i put a fresh mag into it and let the slide go, the the bullet hits the ramp like its hitting a brick wall and the slide only goes about half way forward. if I pull the slide back again and let it go, it usually goes right in the chamber, but might still might do the same thing while firing throughout that mag.

This gun is a .45 acp with a 3" barrel.

I seem to have the best luck with winchester FMJs compared to the others I've tried, and as far as JHPs, I have the best luck with Hornady customs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast