Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default AP Sources: Pistol used in Fort Hood rampage was purchased legally at Texas gun shop

WASHINGTON (AP) — A 5.7-millimeter pistol used in the Fort Hood shooting was purchased legally by suspect Nidal Hasan at a Texas gun shop, law enforcement officials said Friday.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the case.

Records indicate Hasan bought the FN 5.7 at store called "Guns Galore" in Killeen, Texas, well before the attack that left 13 people dead, one of the officials said. The pistol has been dubbed a "cop killer" by those who have tried to stop its use.

The most powerful type of ammunition for the gun is available only to law enforcement and military personnel. Gun control advocates call it a "cop killer" weapon because that ammo can pierce bulletproof vests, and its use by Mexican drug cartels worries police.

It is not clear what kind of ammunition was used in the Fort Hood attack. One official said the store records do not indicate Hasan purchased any ammo when he bought the gun.

Army officials said Hasan also was carrying another handgun. But a law enforcement official said there's nothing so far to indicate the second weapon was fired.

Link

Oi vey!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: AP Sources: Pistol used in Fort Hood rampage was purchased legally at Texas gun s

Oh great, I can see it now, a big rush to ban the FN and all 5.7 ammo.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: AP Sources: Pistol used in Fort Hood rampage was purchased legally at Texas gun s

Quote Originally Posted by cgbudde View Post
    Oh great, I can see it now, a big rush to ban the FN and all 5.7 ammo.
    Yep ... crap. I might have to bump one up on my want list now. Damn "Cop Killers" ... they are soo much more dangerous than any other gun
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    ] they are soo much more dangerous than any other gun
    but aren't they? Probly the reason he was able to kill a civilian LEO. Not that I'm saying they should be made illegal, but...you can't deny the fact that it defeats body armor and is designed to do so.
    Last edited by emsjeep; November 6th, 2009 at 07:02 PM.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    but aren't they? Probly the reason he was able to kill a civilian LEO.
    Nope ... I pretty sure that you can load a light 9mm bullet hot enough to get it's velocity high enough to penetrate body armor. It's all about velocity.
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    but aren't they? Probly the reason he was able to kill a civilian LEO. Not that I'm saying they should be made illegal, but...you can't deny the fact that it defeats body armor and is designed to do so.
    btw .. unless he bought MIL/LEO only ammo from that gun store, he didn't have the ammo that was designed to defeat body armor. Not sure if he did or didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Nope ... I pretty sure that you can load a light 9mm bullet hot enough to get it's velocity high enough to penetrate body armor. It's all about velocity.
    point. but it was designed specifically for this task whereas a 9mm was not. It was more economical to design a new round and weapons to fire it that sell hot 9mm rounds. Its gonna have to move up on my "want list" too...more likely it will just be included on the next "ban list"
    Last edited by emsjeep; November 6th, 2009 at 07:11 PM.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Lehigh County)

My predictions:

1. liberals will call for a ban on the Five-seveN
    2. Five-seveN prices will skyrocket as everyone clamors to buy the infamous pistol
    3. Bill to ban Five-seveN will be introduced
    4. Huge shitstorm will be raised by gun owners across the country
    5. Bill will die quietly in committee six months from now
    6. Five-seveN prices slowly return to normal
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Allegheny County)

Very true. The round was designed for FN's PDW. They wanted a low recoil PDW similar to a 9mm but with better ballistics. I don't know if the pistol was part of the initial concept (I'm guessing it was) or not. But one of it's purpose was to penetrate body armor.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Next the antis will harp on about the mag cap of 20 rounds of the five-seven...
    LOL, I am a woman...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast