Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default F.I.R.E. Institute Tactics 2 AAR

One of our students posted this to our Pgh-training discussion list. I asked and he granted permission to re-post it here.

It was good. It was humbling. It was educational. It was motivational. I learned some things, and I learned that there is a LOT more for me to learn. My thanks to Tony, Pete, the volunteers and the other students for making it possible.

What did I learn?

I learned that it is tempting to call the scenario/situation "unrealistic" and to blame the scenario for my mistakes. But, I do leave the car doors unlocked SOMETIMES at a stop light (just this morning in fact, after dropping the girls off at school.) I do SOMETIMES pull up too close to the car in front of me, or not have anywhere to go at an intersection. I am SOMETIMES surprised at how close the person is to me at the ATM, or checkout line, or just on the street. I do SOMETIMES stop to help someone whose car is broken down. I have seen a man with a bat in his hand walk up to a picnic table where I was sitting with friends. So those ARE realistic situations. I just wasn't prepared for them, and I didn't have a plan for dealing with them.

I learned that I have to be in control of myself if I want to be in control of the situation. Shooting to slide lock is NOT being in control. Screaming and cursing is NOT being in control. Having a simple plan and executing it well IS being in control. Using front sight and trigger press is being in control. Choosing your words, your tone, and your body language is being in control.

I learned that the principles and concepts introduced in Carbine I and Tactics I are VERY useful when it comes to controlling confrontational situations.

I learned that having/carrying/shooting a firearm is not sufficient to control every situation. However, once I have decided to use the firearm, it is very useful to be able to deploy and fire the weapon without fumbling or taking my eyes from the problem.

I learned that the threat you see may not be the only threat.

I learned that I am as/more likely to escalate the situation than the bad guy is.

I learned that you can't walk around in ORANGE all the time, but that spending some time in ORANGE helps you be more comfortable in YELLOW, and makes it easier to find YELLOW when you need it.

I learned that I wouldn't learn these lessons from reading books, on the internet, or square range classes.

What else was useful?

It is useful to go through these scenarios even if you don't solve them at the time, because it gives you a problem to think about and to try and solve for yourself. I've since thought of two or three different things to TRY when confronted with the drunk in the door. I don't know if they'll work, but I've at least given it some thought. That's useful.

It's useful to realize that some problems have NO good solution. And that a problem never presents itself the same way twice. Two different drunks in two different doors are two DIFFERENT problems depending on why you are there, what you have to do, and why HE is there. Not every problem is a nail, so I need tools in addition to the hammer in my belt. That's useful knowledge.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: F.I.R.E. Institute Tactics 2 AAR

thats a great AAR

I learned a lot just volunteering for one day.

In one scenerio I played a bad guy working with a team mate to rob and then assualt a couple at a MAC machine. And I was caught dumbfounded by how well executed teamwork on their part was able to turn the tables and catch me unaware and unprepared. Superior tactics and preperation saved the day.

I saw some people lose it and shoot everyone after the whistle sounded (was it maybe a buzzer to start a match?) and apologize before the sights came down.

I saw people break out in a dead run beacause some asked what time it was.

I also saw a few people ACTUALLY be aware of cover, and actually use it, when others froze in place.

I saw a lot.

including the excuses, and the "well in real life i never....."

I look forward to taking this next year.

(Northampton County)

Shawn, if I lived next door I would be there every day myself. You are a lucky dog.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    I saw people break out in a dead run beacause some asked what time it was.
    Haha...some friends and I were talking about that topic the other day.

One guy we know just says "2 o'clock" and keeps walking....never looks down at his watch, just says "2", no matter what time it really is. He's a funny/crazy guy, but that's another story.

Another guy we know puts his hand out at face level and just says "no thanks" and keeps walking.

We had a friend of ours walking through a shopping mall a year or two ago...this friend is an LEO of sorts....some little asian guy comes up to him and tries to sell him a massage (some booth in the mall) as he walks past the guys booth, friend declines, continues past, guy asks again...friend says "no"....the dude comes up behind him and rubs on his shoulders and continues to try to sell the massage.....our friend snapped around and took him down into a control point; passing mall security comes up and starts asking what happened. Our friend notifies him of his LEO status, says the guy came up behind him and started grabbing on him...they ask if he wants to press charges against the masseuse, he declines and just gives the guy an earful. No harm done.

Its remarkable how much communication is done through non-verbal means. You can clearly send a signal of "don't f***ing come near me" while still answering an innocent question, or feeling out a situation. Those who continue to try to get close to you after you lock onto them and send non-verbal messages to stay back, are probably not up to the best of intentions...it may be time to start formulating a course of action if things escalate (establish grip on weapons, modify cover garment, assess lines of retreat, position yourself relative to environment/ friendlies differently, etc).

For example, if you ask someone how to get to Main St (and you mean them no harm)...and they shoot you this look

...are you going to keep closing the distance with your hands in your pockets? Or makes your hands visible and start respecting his space?

Reminds me of this:
    http://www.shivworks.com/mythproparm.asp

(Allegheny County)

'twas the best class i have taken to date.

in addition to what tony posted above, i learned it is extremely important to understand what is going on. is it a robbery? or is it something else?

i learned that treating a robbery as an intent to do harm can lead to bad things...it is very easy to turn a robbery into a murder (of me). i also learned that treating an intent to do harm as a robbery can lead to bad things.

i learned that having a buddy/wife/girlfriend with you when the two of you haven't worked out what you will do or how to communicate ahead of time greatly complicates things. (in other words, work out some basic tactics and communication with people you spend a lot of time with.)

i learned to, as pete puts it, "take two steps back" (preferably to behind cover, of course).

other things i already "knew" were reinforced and brought from a theoretical plane into practical reality--speaking of which, i learned that intellectually knowing things and actually doing them when in the middle of a simulation (let alone real SHTF) are two very different things. (in other words, try to do as much FOF and simulator training as you can.)
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

I can't wait to be able to take more classes from F.I.R.E. next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

I would totally take this class next year.

Better than a live ammo class.
    Cheaper too...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove View Post
    I would totally take this class next year.

Better than a live ammo class.
    Cheaper too...
    you will need to take a prerequisit class