Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Seeking Gunsmith in Northampton and Surrounding Counties

I'm looking to have a Mauser M-48 drilled, tapped, bases attached and existing scope and rings mounted and rifle re bore-sighted. Looking for a 'smith who will do an excellent job at a fair price.

Anyone between Easton, Allentown, Bethlehem -- as far west as Cabelas and on the way to Ontelaunee Rod/Gun club will work.

Thanks.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Seeking Gunsmith in Northampton and Surrounding Counties

Well now I've felt sorry for you since no one has replied. My gramps uses a guy in Nazareth, Pa his name is Gary. Not sure if he can do it but he does do smith work. Always helps my gramps out when he's stumped. Could try and find him in the phone book under Garys guns or something like that.

Gary's Guns used to put adds in a local free paper but no more.

I know that Myers Gun Shop in Point Philips works with a smith. He takes it up to the smith and picks it up. He charges something for his effort.

There is also
    PRECISION ARMAMENTS INC
    7141 Pa Route 873
    Slatington, PA
    610-767-9046

He has a machine shop in the back and makes his own parts. Do not know about the work he does.

All:

Thank you. As it turns out, I discussed this rifle with a Mauser expert. Unfortunately the amount of work involved is quite substantial. It's not just drilling and tapping and throwing bases on. The bolt has to be cut and bent outward. The safety has to be modified. Either that, or I have to pull the action out of the stock and drop it into a hunting stock, then have a pro drill, tap and install bases.

The expert told me that if I had bought a cheap one, this level of effort would have been worthwhile. What he suggested I do, since it's a $600 Mitchell (yeah, I know some of the negative things that have been said about them), is to pull my Accumount cantilever and scope off, then put a one-ring red-dot on the underlying scout mount.

I'll be putting a Vector StrikeForce on there. I'll use the scope on another rifle. Just want to enjoy this one and not do a lot of machining to it.