Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Talking Beretta PX4 Storm Trigger Time Today

I went to the range today to shoot my Ruger MKIII as I usually do on my day off. I am getting into the habit of not shooting anything else because I'm such a cheapass...
    Anyway, chated with a guy who was shooting 2 new Berettas PX4s, a 9mm compact and a full size .40. I had been looking at them the other day and was very interested. He asked if I wanted to shoot the compact and I certianly didn't say no. Only shot 2 mags, but I like to think I got a small impression of the pistol. First off I don't love the styling. I guess Beretta is trying to revamp their image, but I just don't love the construction of the pistol. It's clunky, I didn't like how high up the safety was, and I just don't find it attractive. There is no sex appeal IMHO. It felt ok in my hands, but seemed a little front heavy. Recoil was very managable, a little muzzle flip, nothing serious. The DA trigger pull was loooong. The single action was ok, but nothing to write home about. Another thing I took issue with was ejection. Every round I fired put an empty case right in my face or chest. I thought maybe this was my fault, so I watched him shoot it and he had the exact same problem. I don't think either of us were limp wristing the pistol... I watched him shoot the .40 and it was hucking the brass 10 feet over his shoulder. I'm not sure what the deal was with the 9mm.
    Overall, I didn't like it. That's my story.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Beretta PX4 Storm Trigger Time Today

I like my PX4 Storm in .40 cal. It wasn't long before it became my carry pistol. Some people like Fords and some like Chevys!
    Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.

(Lehigh County)

My 9mm-sub purchase was put on hold I think for one of your reasons- the gun is a chunky.
    Too fat for real CCing, so why bother? Get a full frame.

(Allegheny County)

I don't like the PX4 with the safety. Try out their C model, constant action trigger. Makes the platform much more enjoyable.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DBZ220 View Post
    I don't like the PX4 with the safety. Try out their C model, constant action trigger. Makes the platform much more enjoyable.
    Do you have one? I'm looking to get rid of my Px4, because I'm moving away from the DA/SA thing and would rather have a single consistent trigger pull. Otherwise though, I love the ergonomics and design of the gun. Doesn't seem like any shop has them in Type-C, I haven't met anyone who has one, and I'm not willing to put down the money just to try it.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

(Allegheny County)

I did have one. Traded it for another Glock on Friday. I liked the trigger of the C model alot though. The weapon itself just didn't fill any particular role in my lineup being basically a fullsized sidearm. I got mine from Cove Creek Outfitters in Bedford. They had both 9mm and .40 Type C's in stock. The constant action was Glock-ish, short reset, but with a hammer still moving. Not nearly as long as some of the 92/96 D models were.

I have the PX4 full size 9mm type F: SA/DA with decocker/safety. For me, the trigger has way too much creep; the decocker/safety lever being right behind the serrations usually catches my thumb when racking the slide. I do like the rotating barrel, but it seems kinda gimmicky to me. My 1911 is much more accurate at the range, and the trigger on my S&W 686 makes it much more fun to shoot. Compared to a Glock 17, I'd take the Glock. In fact, I'm thinking about trading in the Beretta towards the purchase of a Glock 23, much easier to conceal than the PX4.
    After us, the deluge

It seems to be a love hate relationship with the Storm PX4 design. I wasn't keen on it because it didn't match the other full size pistols in magazine capacity like the Glock 21 or XD. Most of my collection are Beretta, 1911s and Glocks with a 24 7 or Witness thrown in. The design is different but very Beretta like if you like the 92/96 or Cougar operation function you will be at home with the PX4.

Your reaction to the Compact differs from others I've spoke to (probably because they like the PX4 design) most have come away thinking that this is an excellent Cw gun or range pistol it is reputed to be as accurate as a full size pistol with numerous amenities to make shooting comfortable. I particularly like the collapsible extends finger rest already built in the magazine.

Like you i wasn't keen on the PX4 looks but being a Beretta fan I bought one in 45acp though I'm impressed with new G21sf I like the Px4 Beretta look and feel wise. I have not compared them shooting wise. The Glcok does win fire power wise 14 compared to 11 45acp.

Some people will like it others will not.
    Last edited by Neko456; May 11th, 2010 at 04:08 PM.