Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default So how do you approach metal detectors?

When carrying? For instance, if your visting a museum or a ballpark and you don't see any signs prohibiting weapons but they have metal detectors at the entrance. Do you turn around and leave or do you get in line and when you approach the security guard you tell him you're going to beep because you're carrying?

(Beaver County)

Default Re: So how do you approach metal detectors?

If there were no signs....climb the fence.

wait no: If there are no signs, I'd approach with caution and see what they are planning to prohibit, why, and if it applies to me in the situation.

(Northampton County)

Metal detectors are never armed.

Quote Originally Posted by dlclarkii View Post
    When carrying? For instance, if your visting a museum or a ballpark and you don't see any signs prohibiting weapons but they have metal detectors at the entrance. Do you turn around and leave or do you get in line and when you approach the security guard you tell him you're going to beep because you're carrying?
    I have never heard of metal dtectors at any of those places....

(Monroe County)

When we go to N.Y. Ranger games in Madison Square Garden they use those paddles to scan you. And when I go to the Preakness every year in Maryland they paddle you as well. But you cant carry in any of those places anyway..

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    I have never heard of metal dtectors at any of those places....
    Chances are, if you see metal detectors you'll just get told to leave... Metal detectors sort of mean, de facto, "no weapons."

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    Chances are, if you see metal detectors you'll just get told to leave... Metal detectors sort of mean, de facto, "no weapons."
    Kinda what I meant.
    The only times I have seen metal detectors is, Courthouse, The Capitol, airports..

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Kinda what I meant.
    The only times I have seen metal detectors is, Courthouse, The Capitol, airports..
    Some amusement parks have them, like Kennywood near Pittsburgh. Since Kennywood has 'em, I won't ever be visiting there.

(Chester County)

I try to avoid doing business anywhere that has metal detectors.

The below comments relate solely to carry in Pa.

If you're not talking about a courthouse or an airport, the most likely place you're going to encounter a metal detector is at a bar/club or at a sports or large entertainment facility or amusement park.

If a bar or club has a metal detector, I take it as a sign that it's the sort of place that expects to attract the kind of people who're going to be shit heads. I don't want to deal with that, so I simply don't go there.

If it's a sports or amusement park, you're likely to see wands. I don't really give a damn about them, simply because I pocket carry at those places, and even when the wand goes off they usually don't bother to check. If they do ask what's in my pocket, I say a cellphone, and pull out the cellphone that I store directly above my j-frame when I know I'm going to be wanded. The two times that I've had to do this they just waved me through. If they ever press the issue I'll simply turn around and leave. Unless they affirmatively tell you that you're not allowed to carry and ask you to leave, you're not doing anything wrong by carrying.

I've never seen a store or museum with detectors. I'd probably just walk through it, and if I triggered the alarm and they stopped me, I'd leave. I don't care if they don't WANT people carrying, but if they find out that I'm carrying and tell me I can't carry, I'm obviously not doing business there.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    Some amusement parks have them, like Kennywood near Pittsburgh. Since Kennywood has 'em, I won't ever be visiting there.
    Six Flags Great Adventure has them, they wouldn't let my friend in with his gun.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast