Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default Programming a Motorola HT1000 Radio

I assume that with the vast diversification of people on here that someone knows something about programming these two-way radios.

I'm not quite ready to do this yet, but eventually I will need to program a couple of these radios. I was looking online at programming cables and trying to find software.

I'm wondering if it would just be easier to pay someone to program it, than to buy all the stuff.

I am also wondering, it has scan on it. Are the frequencies scanned programmed as well, or does it just scan the whole range?

I basically will need to be bale to talk on two channels, and scan 5 or 6 more. It is a 16 channel unit.

Does anyone know anything about this to educate me?
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Programming a Motorola HT1000 Radio

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    I'm wondering if it would just be easier to pay someone to program it, than to buy all the stuff.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^This.

I had a set of 6 at one point and it wasn't much more than $10/radio to get them programmed. You should be able to find the cables, but my experience was that the software was sold only to authorized Motorola dealers.

Also, the HT1000 is a good radio, but it does have some limits. If you want touse them to communicate with local fire/EMS on a repeater, all well and good. If it's just for you and yours, you may get better range with a few FRS units. Spirit GT is nice, if you can still find them.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

(Bucks County)

Default I can help out

I assume that with the vast diversification of people on here that someone knows something about programming these two-way radios.

I'm not quite ready to do this yet, but eventually I will need to program a couple of these radios. I was looking online at programming cables and trying to find software.

I am also wondering, it has scan on it. Are the frequencies scanned programmed as well, or does it just scan the whole range?

I basically will need to be bale to talk on two channels, and scan 5 or 6 more. It is a 16 channel unit.

Does anyone know anything about this to educate me?

I can help you out!!! Former "G-Man" here and my dept we used the Motorola HT600 and HT1000s. The cables are cheap as dirt and can be had for a few dollars off of Ebay. Now you need something called a "RIB" aka "Radio Interface Box that is used to interface between your RS-232 serial connection and the radio itself. Remember that the HT series are really damn old and communicate at a slow speed with computers. A gerneric RIB can be purchased off of Ebay for a cheapy price, but the software might hurt the budget. The software fit on a floppy and was DOS based which is awful, but works. Very straight foward, all of your standard parameters, CTCSS, 1 Watt / 5 Watt setting, Frequency, Keyup Tone, Timeout Delay, etc, etc. Software is generally reserved for Motorola 2-Way dealers or someone with a big budget. It might be just cheaper to blow the $10 to $15 per unit to have them loaded to your specs.

By today's engineering standards, they're considered old as stone wheels....but still roll when you need them. If you need any advice, you can PM me if you like.

(Bucks County)

Default Some more info

Here you go sir!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/RIB-less-Program...item2ea6ec9e71

RIBless interface!!! Just connect it to your PC or Laptop!!

(Allegheny County)

Seems like the OP got some advice that'll help him. Good luck!

So, I'll digress... Who can jailbreak my 3G iPhone so that I can tether it to my laptop like the unlocked ones that you can buy in Europe? (albeit for up to €400 last time I looked.)

I realize that it would spike my bandwidth usage and "give me away"... But, I doubt many others are moving the amount of data with a device as I do just while driving in everyday. I mean, the Cisco Sys. app for being able to host a WebEx while driving was my downfall... (safe driving comments aside...)
    F*S=k

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
    Seems like the OP got some advice that'll help him. Good luck!

So, I'll digress... Who can jailbreak my 3G iPhone so that I can tether it to my laptop like the unlocked ones that you can buy in Europe? (albeit for up to €400 last time I looked.)

I realize that it would spike my bandwidth usage and "give me away"... But, I doubt many others are moving the amount of data with a device as I do just while driving in everyday. I mean, the Cisco Sys. app for being able to host a WebEx while driving was my downfall... (safe driving comments aside...)
    How bout kicking me some rep for this little bone I'm throwing ya?

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/6779...eat-yellowsn0w

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by culatar View Post
    How bout kicking me some rep for this little bone I'm throwing ya?

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/6779...eat-yellowsn0w
    Thank you! I'll try it out and see how it works. My other concern is that I need to be able to do "fast flash backs", as this is a company iPhone and I don't wanna mess up all of the MS Exchange shat. Though, who in there right minds would issue company iPhones... haha, we've bought so many new servers recently. Wonder why everyone's media storage needs increased??
    F*S=k

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
    Thank you! I'll try it out and see how it works. My other concern is that I need to be able to do "fast flash backs", as this is a company iPhone and I don't wanna mess up all of the MS Exchange shat. Though, who in there right minds would issue company iPhones... haha, we've bought so many new servers recently. Wonder why everyone's media storage needs increased??
    Media is cheap these days. Damn my Crackberry comes with 8 Gigs on board. I work in IT and it just seems that while storage is cheap, ppl are jumping on the terabyte bandwagon.......not there's something wrong with that!

(Adams County)

I only need to be able to communicate with County, and with a partner who won't be more than a house or two away. I saw the ribless cables. I also found a guy who was giving away the windows based software, but now he wants $10 for it. Which isn't a bad deal at all. He was having a computer problem that I am waiting for him to fix before I can check it out.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Bucks County)

I only need to be able to communicate with County, and with a partner who won't be more than a house or two away. I saw the ribless cables. I also found a guy who was giving away the windows based software, but now he wants $10 for it. Which isn't a bad deal at all. He was having a computer problem that I am waiting for him to fix before I can check it out.
    If it works for $10.00, please jump on it and let me know how it works for you. The RIBless cables are also a steal on Ebay, especially the ones that do more than one model of Motorla Walikie-Ts. The old Motorola factory software used to be $$$ back in the 90s. For $10.00, you really can't go wrong! Also if you set your radio to 1 Watt, you'll have no problem hitting your partner a few houses down. You can do line of sight which is generally 2 miles on 1 - 2 watts. 5 watts will get you further and if you dial into a county or municipal shared repeater......now were talking miles!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast