Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Airgun Hunting

(Adams County)

Default Airgun Hunting

I recently moved to PA, and learned that hunting with airguns is prohibited. While I can certainly appreciate the spirit and date in which that law was crafted (i.e. hunting squirrels etc. with a "Red Ryder" is inhumane), the current crop of airguns available today presents a completely different side to the picture. With proper power levels, say at least 700fps in .177 caliber, airguns offer many advantages such as low noise, humane kills on small game, less potential danger from an inadvertant stray shot, and access to areas where landowners would be leery of allowing hunters with firearms. I have been using "adult quality" spring piston airguns since the late 60's, and more recently have been enjoying the current crop of precharged airguns (filled with hand pump or scuba tank) that are capable of launching a 28gr pellet at over 1000fps, some of which are capable of consistant 1/2" accuracy at 50 yards. In my opinion there is no valid reason why such devices should be prohibited, and I plan on contacting my local representative to present my argument and ask for his support in helping to change the regulations. Anyone who hasn't tried today's current selection of airguns is missing out on a lot of fun! The Korean made Career 707, for example, is probably one of the most accurate projectile firing devices on the planet, bar none! More accurate than most high dollar .22's, and capable of killing squirrels like a bolt of lightning struck them. Even California recently changed their law to allow hunting ...even turkeys... with airguns. Hopefully such a change can be effected here as well.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Airgun Hunting

Interesting...I had never thought about hunting with air rifles. You make good points for the argument.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(York County)

Hopefully such a change can be effected here as well.
    I agree. I think you will see some changes in this restriction in the coming years. I would include inexpensive ammo/pellets to your list of advantages.

(York County)

for anyone interested, check out Jim Chapman's website (and free PDF magazine)...pretty neat stuff...

http://www.americanairgunhunter.com/airgun_hunter.html

http://www.americanairgunhunter.com/agquart.html

(FYI: the PDF will open in full-screen mode...just hit the "escape" key to view it in regular mode if you wish...you can also change the initial view in the document properties if you're using Adobe Acrobat...)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Gettysburg Shadow View Post
    ...Even California recently changed their law to allow hunting ...even turkeys... with airguns. Hopefully such a change can be effected here as well.
    Of course they did.
    See, if it can be shown that you can hunt with a "BB gun", then there's no valid reason to own "real" firearms. And hunting IS the only valid reason to own firearms, right?
    (Sorry folks, in this new world of BB gun hunting, you may no longer hunt big game, as the BBs are not powerful enough.)

GBS, I can't think of a reason not to do what you suggest. Now, hunting with the old BB gun of my youth would be silly, but the ones you mention are amazingly advanced and I can certainly see where folks would be interested in using them to hunt. Good luck and welcome to PA and to the forum!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Washington County)

I agree that there are plenty of airguns capable of taking small game. For some serious power, check out the Career Dragon Slayer 50. shoots a .50 cal, 200gr ball at 560fps.

If anyone is interested in high-end airguns, contact me with your wants and I can get you good pricing, delivered to your location.

As for getting the law changed, that's the sort of thing you would need to contact your lawmakers and the game commission about.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Washington County)

Lets not forget the wealth of old Sheridan Blue Streaks out there... 22 cal and with some good mods form McMurray, capable of matching up to some of the 22lr stuff.

Heck, any of you ever seen some of the .43 shotgun airguns?

The steps needed to make this real is simple. Get Knight to make some air guns , so you know who gets their kick backs and set up a 20 dollar stamp for the hunting license to use the air guns and then you'd have it ..... it's all about the $$$ anyhow , just have to make sure the right folks get theirs is all.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by rev214 View Post
    I agree. I think you will see some changes in this restriction in the coming years. I would include inexpensive ammo/pellets to your list of advantages.
    Hopefully the changes can be to the regulations soon. Besides having power to spare for small game, airguns are just plain neat and a lot of fun to shoot. Unfortunately the ammo isn't all that inexpensive. On an average, the quality airgun pellets do cost more than the lower cost "mart brick".22lr, but IMO the difference is worth the cost. Like anything, airgun pellets are best bought in quantity to realize a savings

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    Lets not forget the wealth of old Sheridan Blue Streaks out there... 22 cal and with some good mods form McMurray, capable of matching up to some of the 22lr stuff.

Heck, any of you ever seen some of the .43 shotgun airguns?
    I have a 70's series Blue Streak, as well as a 392 Benjamin that have both gotten the "Steroid" mods from Tim McMurray. World of difference (around 2-300fps extra velocity) from the stock configuration. Tim is also a "magician" with tuning the triggers, and his billet lever replacement makes for a truly robust package. With the Williams peep sight they are both "flykillers". In the pump pneumatics department I also love my Japanese made Sharp Innova in .22 ...uncanny accuracy! Unfortunately these are no longer available in the U.S. Another favorite "customized" airgun is my spring piston Beeman R9 in .20 caliber which was custom tuned by Jim Macarri. Consistant 820fps, and is superbly accurate.

Have been thinking about getting one of the Shark brand 13mm CO2 shotguns. The .43 Farco CO2 shotgun you mention has unfortunately been unavailable new for some time, but the Shark looks interesting indeed!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast