Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: glock armorer

(Montgomery County)

Default glock armorer

Hey, anyone know where a reputable glock armorer is in the upper bucks/montco area and how much does it typically cost to change all the springs in the pistol as part of a every two year maintenance. This may belong in the gunsmithing section, but I'm not looking to do it myself and I figured i might get more responses in this section. Thanks in advance.
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

(Northampton County)

Default Re: glock armorer

I asked a similar question a few years ago. And, while I did get a response, I decided to try it out myself anyway.

Seriously, a punch (or a Glock armorer's tool), the springs, and 15 minutes is all you'll need. it really is that simple. If you were closer, I'd do it for you for free.

Skullz
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Philadelphia County)

You have an ironic screen name for the question

It's the first time I heard that you have to change all springs every 2 years. It's usually round count, not time frame. You can search youtube for videos for how-to's. Here's an example:

You can also call around. Many local gun shops have certified Glock armorers working on site.

Al

(Northampton County)

Do it yourself, 1 day there might not be someone there to help you....
    Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.JFK

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    You have an ironic screen name for the question

It's the first time I heard that you have to change all springs every 2 years. It's usually round count, not time frame. You can search youtube for videos for how-to's. Here's an example:

You can also call around. Many local gun shops have certified Glock armorers working on site.

Al
    LOL, yes I guess I didn't put much thought into my screen name other than the fact that those are the types of guns I own. I figured two years because by then I will have put a couple thousand rounds through the gun. My whole thing is I would hate to get it apart and then not be able to put it back together again..

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
    I asked a similar question a few years ago. And, while I did get a response, I decided to try it out myself anyway.

Seriously, a punch (or a Glock armorer's tool), the springs, and 15 minutes is all you'll need. it really is that simple. If you were closer, I'd do it for you for free.

Skullz
    Where is a good place to get these items cheaply?

Quote Originally Posted by glockmaster View Post
    Where is a good place to get these items cheaply?
    I bought a bunch of stock Glock springs from Midway USA. Most of the springs are under $10.

Here's the link to the Glock part section, you just have to select the model and check out the parts:

http://www.midwayusa.com/BROWSE/Brow...649***20766***

Here's the link to the Glock Disassembly tool, It's only $9.79:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=181144

I just use a brass punch to take apart my whole gun, you really don't need the Glock tool. Make sure you order Stock Glock parts. If you start playing around with reduced power springs it can cause some serious reliabilty and saftey problems if you don't know what you're doing. Glocks are super easy to take apart. Just watch the videos and maybe even get a drawing of your specific gun and it should be no problem. All the info is online.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I bought a bunch of stock Glock springs from Midway USA. Most of the springs are under $10.

Here's the link to the Glock part section, you just have to select the model and check out the parts:

http://www.midwayusa.com/BROWSE/Brow...649***20766***

Here's the link to the Glock Disassembly tool, It's only $9.79:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=181144

I just use a brass punch to take apart my whole gun, you really don't need the Glock tool. Make sure you order Stock Glock parts. If you start playing around with reduced power springs it can cause some serious reliabilty and saftey problems if you don't know what you're doing. Glocks are super easy to take apart. Just watch the videos and maybe even get a drawing of your specific gun and it should be no problem. All the info is online.
    Thank you, i did watch the video on youtube today, doesn't seem too bad. Thanks for taking the time.

(Monroe County)

I know this thread is a little old but I'm posting for the benefit of others.

I went to Glock Armorer's school yesterday.

It was suggested that every gun in your arsenal be completely broken down and "checked" once a year. Nothing about "replacing springs every 2 years". If you notice something during your "check" then you attend to it. If you're not properly trained in how to "check" then you have no idea what to check or how to check it. Hence the armorer's training.

There are basically only 5 "springs" on a Glock, in the true sense of a spring (there are a couple clips that are referred to as springs). One spring is on the firing pin, One is on the trigger bar, one is on the firing pin safety, one is on the extractor depressor plunger and lastly, the recoil spring under the barrel. I guess you could consider the one in the magazine as another one. The only spring that was recommended to be changed regularly was the recoil spring under the barrel, every 5000 rounds.

Like I said there are specific checks and tests to determine if any of the other springs need replacing but if the gun is firing normally then there was no mention of them being replaced.

The only spring I would recommend replacing yourself without any training is the recoil spring. No, it isn't rocket science but if you mess something up then you WILL be in for an expensive trip to a real Glock armorer.

It's kind of like trying to fix your own car or plumbing, making the matter worse, then having to pay the mechanic or plumber extra to not only fix the original problem (do you even have one?) but the one you caused.

Hope that adds light to the subject.
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    C.A.R. Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Washington County)

I just wanted to say that I completely disagree with the above poster. Do it yourself. It's incredibly simple. You will not mess anything up, and you will have a better understanding of how your pistol functions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast