Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Pike County)

Thumbs up Sunset Hill Shooting Range, two thumbs up.

When I came to these forums a few days ago I was worried about finding a decent range where I can shoot my Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22. It has a 25 round clip and the gaming ranges won't allow more than 3 rounds to be loaded into the magazine at once.

Anyway I investigated Sunset Hill Shoot Range yesterday afternoon. When we got there we had to do some paperwork and read their disclaimer. They even took our driver license numbers. Afterwards we got our rifle and took instruction from one of the guys on the range. I think for $35/person it was a bit much. All they did was read through a list of rules and asked us to demonstrate the operation of our weapon: Loading the clip, putting a round or two down range, extracting a round from the chamber, removing the magazine from the gun, opening the extractor bolt, and laying the rifle down in the proper way. However once you passed the class it only cost $10 to access the range (On future visits), and after a year you must pay an additional $10 to renew your safety license. When we passed the class they just gave us a business card with our information filled out in the back saying we passed the class.

Afterwards we were free to fire our rifle downrange. We were on the target/plinking range. The distance was 25-30 yards. We also rented a spotting scope for $1 so we could see where our rounds were going. I was having a lot of fun until my rifle started to have failures to extract (I will elaborate on this in a different thread). Overall I was very happy with the range and will return once my rifle is fixed. The stalls from where we fired from were all covered so you could fire your weapon without the elements getting in the way. They also had trap shooting, which some people were doing while we were shooting. I believe it was $25 for 25 shots, don't quote me on that.

They also had target stalls with human silhouettes, they are connected to a retractable line so you could pull them in. To rent one of these stalls they're $5/hour, which is reasonable IMO. Finally they have their own weapons for rent which you can fire: M16's, AK-47's, M1 Garand's, Desert Eagles, Shotguns, and Sniper Rifles. If it wasn't so late in the day I might have rented out a Desert Eagle which was $8 for a 5 rounds of .44 magnums. No full auto's however. So if you're in the area looking for a place to fire nearly any of your guns without pesky state range rules this is the place for you. This place will now become my choice shooting range for now on.

Prices:

$35/person- One time safety class. (On the first visit it's only $35/person, you don't pay an additional $10 to access the range on the first visit.)

$10/person?- To access the range on future visits.

$10/person/year- To renew your safety license.

$1/day- To rent a spotting scope.

$5/hour- To use the shooting stalls with the retractable human silhouettes.

Last edited by LifeInPa; October 31st, 2009 at 03:12 PM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Sunset Hill Shooting Range, two thumbs up.

Soooooooooo, how long have you worked for SSunset Hill?

And yes I meant to put 2 S's
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

Could this be the guy that another board member was complaining about in another thread?

Thanks for the info but I would much rather shoot at a safer range.
    With all the city asshats that go there, there is no way I can feel safe without constantly looking over my shoulder.
    Last edited by frankie; October 31st, 2009 at 04:44 PM.

(Delaware County)

I've been there. The 'out of towners' are segregated at one end of the range.

I didn't get the idea that it was unsafe there, especially since the RSO is about 6 inches from the shooter.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Strapped View Post

LOL nice.

Sunset hill is renovating.
    I can't figure out why honestly.
    Perhaps the owner is looking to sell the business and get out, otherwise why waste money putting "stone" paneling along all the walls.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Strapped View Post

Wow what did I ever do to you? The place is a hundred times better than the retarded state gaming ranges that only allow you to load three rounds into a magazine at once.

Quote Originally Posted by frankie View Post
    Could this be the guy that another board member was complaining about in another thread?

Thanks for the info but I would much rather shoot at a safer range.
    With all the city asshats that go there, there is no way I can feel safe without constantly looking over my shoulder.
    Oh please let me in on this complaint, if someone has a problem with me I would like very much that the person confront me with it. Not coward behind other board members and pass false information. About the range, I visited it on a Friday afternoon. The place was like a ghost town when I got there. Except for a small group of people shooting trap we were the only other people using the facilities. Anyway it's easy for me to avoid the New Yorker's, I just go early on Friday. Which isn't hard since I am off on Fridays.

BTW, please feel free to recommend other rifle ranges that have reasonable admission and allow you to load up a 25 round clip. Trying to find decent ranges from these forums is like pulling teeth, but I will give credit as some people did recommend 2-3 ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by ReefBlue View Post
    I've been there. The 'out of towners' are segregated at one end of the range.

I didn't get the idea that it was unsafe there, especially since the RSO is about 6 inches from the shooter.
    It's a lie that the place is unsafe. When we were shooting the instructors were only a few feet away from us during our visit.
    Last edited by LifeInPa; October 31st, 2009 at 06:50 PM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    Wow what did I ever do to you? The place is a hundred times better than the retarded state gaming ranges that only allow you to load three rounds into a magazine at once.

I disagree....

It's a lie that the place is unsafe. When we were shooting the instructors were only a few feet away from us during our visit.

A place that caters to inexperienced, non gun owners who come from NJ and NY to "rent" guns is not a safe place IMO...

Your lucky they were a few feet from you instead of stepping on the back of your shoes..
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

(Monroe County)

BTW, please feel free to recommend other rifle ranges that have reasonable admission and allow you to load up a 25 round clip. Trying to find decent ranges from these forums is like pulling teeth, but I will give credit as some people did recommend 2-3 ranges.
    If you can find me a 25 round clip I will PAY for your membership at my private club.
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

Just because I have a difference in opinion doesn't mean you have to come off in a condescending and arrogant tone. Sigh... I guess no matter where you go on the internet you will find trolls.....

Again the range was nearly empty when I visited, if these out of state people are really that much of a problem I will visit early on Fridays.

Troll??!! lol....

Dude, you come in here writing a review for the place like you own it.. Sorry but many people know how it really is there, and for the people who dont know I would like them to see the other side of the place, and hopefully save them the money and aggravation..

Your entitled to your opinion same as me, but I think your just fishing for customers personaly..
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

(Monroe County)

My M&P 15-22 came with one standard:

Really? That looks like a magazine to me.
    Don't they train you guys on proper terminology when you get hired at SSunset Hill?

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast