Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Springfield Armory 1911s

I am also looking at the Springfield Armory 1911s. How do they compare to the Kimber 1911s? I was looking at the SA Loaded, Operator, and TRP 1911s. There are a number of different models within the Loaded, Operator, and TRP categories? Is any one better than the other, or does it depend on what the pistol will be used for? Does anyone have any input or experience with any of these pistols? My primary purpose for the pistol will be for competitive shooting and target shooting. Any input or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Springfield Armory 1911s

I love SA 1911's, they are the makers of a few of my top 1911's and they are my fav custom shop by far.

If funds allow it I would go TRP, they are the top mid-range 1911 around IMO. But for most shooters and first time 1911 buyers theres a good chance the loaded will not disappoint.

One other note is operator is assigned to ANY springfield 1911 that has a light rail, and is not a class of its own persay.

Here's my bread and butter:

Quote Originally Posted by ereigner View Post
    I am also looking at the Springfield Armory 1911s. How do they compare to the Kimber 1911s? I was looking at the SA Loaded, Operator, and TRP 1911s. There are a number of different models within the Loaded, Operator, and TRP categories? Is any one better than the other, or does it depend on what the pistol will be used for? Does anyone have any input or experience with any of these pistols? My primary purpose for the pistol will be for competitive shooting and target shooting. Any input or advice will be greatly appreciated.
    If your primary use will be competition, You may not be happy with the SA.

My dad has a SA 1911, just doesn't seem to have the quality for competition.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post

anything can be made competition ready, and most dont come competition ready out of the box.

I've carried a blued "Loaded" variant for several years. Very reliable and accurate enough for IDPA/IPSC shooting.

I like it so much I'd consider a second one in a heart beat if opportunity and funds were in alignment.
    I live in WV , but I visit my Mom-in-law in York PA 8 to 10 times a year. Can I get a "Tourist" visa?

(Bucks County)

I've been quite happy with my SA Loaded in ss. Shoot mostly reloads through it w/o a problem, great gun.

(Allegheny County)

the TRP may be the best value going in semi-custom 1911's.

the stippling is SHARP though, youll get used to it

not sure about the "not comp ready" remark???? my experiance doesnt agree with that statement.

what made the example you spoke of "not ready" fingers ?

keep in mind a normal SA 1911, a loaded, and a TRP are gonna be in 3 distinctly different catagories.

(Lancaster County)

I have only ever run Springfields in competitions. Started with a XD45, then the Loaded 1911 for the last 2 years. Just recently picked up a champion operator and with the 4 inch barrel and alloy lower it shoots just as good as a full size. i can't even feel any extra recoil on the lighter frame. the trigger breaks cleanly at 4 lbs. and right out of the box I put 50 rounds into the bullseye at 10 yrds. rang the steels at 50 yrds 4/5 shots this weekend too. I eventually want to pick up the SA Longslide and trick it out specifically for comps. I don't understand the comment on being dissapointed in them for competitions at all. Rob Leatham is proof. Loaded, Operator, or TRP you can't go wrong. All depends on what you want to spend.
    "While a 9 mm or .40 caliber bullet may or may not expand, it is an undeniable fact that a .45 caliber bullet will never shrink."- Fr. Frog

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ereigner View Post
    Just check the weight of the different models if you want to run one in comps. I'm not sure what fingers comments were about...but I have no idea what he means by them.

You go up in quality (more hand fitting, better triggers, less MIM) as you progress from the Loaded, to the MC Operator, to the TRP, to the Professional.

You could get a Loaded model, then drop in a C&S trigger kit and have a smith fit a tighter bushing on it (if it didn't shoot tight enough for your use) for less then the cost of getting an Operator or TRP. All should run and shoot tight enough for any of the IPSC or IDPA games. If you need a pistol to shoot <2" at 25y and run with 100% reliability, then you should probably think more about the Professional, or possibly the TRP.

At that price point though, there are also other brands which can compete with that performance. *cough*les baer*cough*

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post

I use a SA 1911 in IPSC/USPSA. I don't know the exact round count, but 10 years at several hundred rounds per week is a lot. Occasional springs, etc.....other than that, never any problems.

My CCW gun is a stainless loaded Champion. I trust it with my life.

As a collector of 1911's, I'd put my SA's up against any of the others for quality and reliability. Even the SA custom guns are competitively priced compared to some of the higher end guns.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast