Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Kimber 1911 Custom TLE II vs. Tactical Custom II

I am looking to purchase a Kimber 1911 Pistol. Right now I am comparing the Custom TLE II and the Tactical Custom II. I am left-handed, so having an ambidextrous safety is a must. I know the Tactical Custom II has an ambidextrous safety, does anyone know if you can get the Custom TLE II with an ambidextrous safety or have one put on? Also, the Custom TLE II is has a steel frame and the Tactical Custom II has an aluminum frame. What are the pros and cons of an aluminum frame versus a steel frame?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me in my decision making process.

Default Re: Kimber 1911 Custom TLE II vs. Tactical Custom II

Quote Originally Posted by ereigner View Post
    I am looking to purchase a Kimber 1911 Pistol. Right now I am comparing the Custom TLE II and the Tactical Custom II. I am left-handed, so having an ambidextrous safety is a must. I know the Tactical Custom II has an ambidextrous safety, does anyone know if you can get the Custom TLE II with an ambidextrous safety or have one put on? Also, the Custom TLE II is has a steel frame and the Tactical Custom II has an aluminum frame. What are the pros and cons of an aluminum frame versus a steel frame?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me in my decision making process.
    Is this going to be a range gun? home defense? carry gun? Aluminum is a real nice thing to have when carrying it keeps the weight down but it also increases felt recoil. For a defense gun id go with aluminum. For a target gun where weight isnt an issue id go with steel it just seems to handle the rounds better.

About the ambidextrous safety. Its a 1911......you can do ANYTHING with it.

Kimber is a nice firearm and i like mine some people dont but its all in preference. I dont need 1/2" guarantee out to 50 yards....some people do. Its all in opinon.
    Reputation is what I strive for.

(Delaware County)

Thank you for your reply. I 1911 will be a range gun. Reading your post, I think it is best that I stick with a steel frame.

I think you'll be happy with your decision. My Grand Raptor II shoots like a dream. One thing that i've found that you will either love or hate about a 1911 is the beavertail. I have a Colt .38 Super whose beavertail i can not stand. It will dig into your hand so bad. Im working on switching it out but the one on the kimber makes you hardly know your holding a hunk of steel. I want one of the SIS Custom/RL but more than that I want to build an STI that will appear close to the Tactical 5.0 BUT if im feeling up to it make it in the dreaded 10mm....yes, the highly unpopular .40 S&W KILLER!.... http://www.stiguns.com/
    Reputation is what I strive for.

(Allegheny County)

ereigner, Ambi safeties are really easy to put on, and are widely available in stores or online, so you shouldn't have a problem with that.

I have 2 Kimbers and love'em. One's steel frame (4"), and the other is aluminum (5"). Definitely go with an aluminum if you'll be carrying it. that little bit of weight makes a BIG difference. On the other hand, like S&W10mm said, if it's a range and home gun, stick with the steel frame.

(Montgomery County)

Go with the steel frame TLE II

Have an aMbi Safety put on.

The TLE II is a great Gun. I have over 30K roiunds on mine with regular maintenance (springs, cleaning, etc). Runs strong, feeds everything.

(Montgomery County)

After reading your other post....

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/77...ory-1911s.html

....Any particular reason you chose Kimber over Springfield?