Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Halloween & Carrying

This is something I just condition myself for since I've been carrying while trick or treating and in general this time of year...and though I don't consider the general membership here to be lacking more than any normal person I figured if it's something I condition myself for it's something that's worth discussing or mentioning.

This time of year you have to keep yourself extra alert because of how people will be acting. Obviously many people's goals this time of year is to scare people. Normally someone jumping out of a bush with something resembling a machete and running at you would warrant you drawing your firearm, but not during halloween.

I just try to keep a heavy eye on my daughter and try to look ahead down the road at what's going on. Just figured it was worth mentioning. I think something like this happened to a LEO at a haunted house where an actor came up on him with a chainsaw (blade removed) as part of the haunted house and the officer drew his gun on the guy.

Stay safe folks! Can't enjoy candy in jail!

(York County)

Default Re: Halloween & Carrying

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    This is something I just condition myself for since I've been carrying while trick or treating and in general this time of year...and though I don't consider the general membership here to be lacking more than any normal person I figured if it's something I condition myself for it's something that's worth discussing or mentioning.

This time of year you have to keep yourself extra alert because of how people will be acting. Obviously many people's goals this time of year is to scare people. Normally someone jumping out of a bush with something resembling a machete and running at you would warrant you drawing your firearm, but not during halloween.

I just try to keep a heavy eye on my daughter and try to look ahead down the road at what's going on. Just figured it was worth mentioning. I think something like this happened to a LEO at a haunted house where an actor came up on him with a chainsaw (blade removed) as part of the haunted house and the officer drew his gun on the guy.

For Saturday evening, we will be joining our daughter and SIL in Newark, DE to take the grandson (now age 2) for his first Halloween adventure around the neighborhood. Pop-pop (me) will be OCing, as normal. I have my Utah creds should I see the need to conceal. I will be masquerading as a law-abiding, responsible adult. :-p
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    For Saturday evening, we will be joining our daughter and SIL in Newark, DE to take the grandson (now age 2) for his first Halloween adventure around the neighborhood. Pop-pop (me) will be OCing, as normal. I have my Utah creds should I see the need to conceal. I will be masquerading as a law-abiding, responsible adult. :-p
    LOL, I used to my grandfather Pop-pop, too!
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I will be masquerading as a law-abiding, responsible adult. :-p
    Judging from what I've read of yours, I think you may be a little confused about what 'masquerade' means.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    Judging from what I've read of yours, I think you may be a little confused about what 'masquerade' means.
    It's OK... To my knowledge, my reputation has yet to reach Delaware. This weekend my change all that. :rollseyes:
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post

That LEO was a Baltimore one, and he was also drinking at the time that happened.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

I am going to toss a few coyote things on myself and OC for Halloween. If asked, should I say I am a law abiding coyote, or a coyote tea partier?
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Montgomery County)

I'm thinking about putting on my old Army fatigues, grabbing my AR (with no mag and with a safety plug in the chamber) and sitting on the porch handing out candy. I'll even camo up.

Kids are awesome. Ever watch their face light up as they take a whole handfull of candy (which is really two bite-size snickers)? Awesome.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom ... go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels nor arms. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams

(Westmoreland County)

Years ago, an ex-girlfriend's older brother jumped out from behind a parked car wearing an old fashioned hockey mask and a real knife. My ex and her sister ran screaming down the street, and even called their mother (who was in the house) to warn her of the crazy guy outside with a knife.

His laughter ended when his mother told him that I always carried, and that it was probably fortunate that I was arriving late, and wasn't there at that moment. When I got there he asked me what I would have done. It shook him up pretty good when I answered that if his sisters didn't recognize him, I probably wouldn't have either.

At college up in Connecticut, every Halloween we would have a spree of muggings and robberies by people wearing costumes which hid their identities. Combined with darkness and weapons as part of a costume no one would think anything out the ordinary by someone carrying a knife and wearing a mask on Halloween, and that always worried me about this holiday.
    I'm not going out trick or treating, but if I do go out there is no doubt that I'll be carrying and on more of an alert than any other night. And not to be too paranoid, but I'm even cautious when opening the doors to trick-or-treaters. With some of the recent crimes in my neighborhood I wouldn't be surprised to hear of home invasions and robberies by armed trick-or-treaters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast