Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Making progress...

Well, my wife has never been against guns, just never really shown much interest. I've taken her to the range and clay shooting a few times now although not nearly enough. She really seems to enjoy it and is actually quite a good shot. This year she decided she wants to go hunting so she got her license. I'd like to get her out for small game before deer season because I'm afraid she may get bored for her first time out waiting for deer and don't want to lose her excitement for all hunting. I've had trouble getting her to understand the reason for carrying regularly although she doesn't mind much when I do. I've tried to not be pushy but occasionally slip a positive gun-related news story into conversation. After an attempted robbery down the road recently occured, she has decided to change her stance. Needless to say, her LTCF application is ready to drop in the mail tomorrow. Now I need to find her some training and the best part is, we get to go gun shopping! Baby steps I know, but I'm pretty excited.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" -- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Making progress...

congrats on the progress. Sometimes it's something that hits close to home that makes them change their minds.

I on the other hand am still working on my fiance. She's been around firearms her entire life and both her father and brother have owned them. While she doesn't object to me owning mine, she is against me spending money on others along with carrying when around her.

(Westmoreland County)

Congrats to you both. I took it slow with my wife, and now she enjoys shooting very much. She tried many, and then picked out her own pistol, a Glock 19, and she received her LTCF a short while ago.

(Monroe County)

Congrats!

My wife is totally against guns.
    But since most of my friends have them and some are troopers she is getting the picture by listening to there storys about crime rising in the area and you need to protect your family.

Now she really dont oppose to me carrying anymore. I think she feels safe but will never tell me that!!. lol.lol.

(York County)

Well today she picked out a Taurus PT132 for her first handgun. And yes, she got it in pink. I think she only did it so I wouldn't sneak it out... Anyway it seems like a decent gun, it's definately not for me, but then again, its not going to be mine. She likes it so thats all that matters. I tried not to give to strong an opinion and sway her decision - i wanted her to decide what SHE liked. I pointed her towards a Ruger SR9 but she said it was too big and heavy. She really liked the LCR but I suggested she get something more comfortable to practice with, then she could get a small carry gun later on. Her LTCF is ready to pick-up already so we will probably go do that tomorrow and if there's time, a trip to the range so she can try it out!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" -- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

(York County)

Well York county is still on the ball. We put the wife's LTCF application in the mail last thursday and she got an email monday saying it was ready to be picked up. Couldn't do it yesterday because of the election they were closed. Went there this morning between 9:00-9:30 (lots of people coming in). Told the deputy at the metal detectors that I needed to check a firearm. He said Ok, no problem and pointed me over towards the lockers. He asked for my 'permit' which I gave since I was CC however I was wondering what he would have done if I was OC? I should have thought to ask him. Anyway he locked my LTCF in the locker with my gun and gave me the card with the number on it. We went to the Sheriff's Office where we were politely helped immediately. She had her picture taken and laminated card in hand headed out the door in literally less than 3 minutes. I handed my locker number over to the same deputy who quickly opened the locker and allowed me to retrieve my things. Wished us a good day, I reholstered and out the door we went. I was amazed at how quickly everything went. No questions asked and no opinions or lectures given. The only thing I didn't like was the 'no weapons, cell phones, etc, etc beyond this point' sign out on the sidewalk by the entrance doors when you obviously have to walk right past it to go into the lobby to check a firearm. I knew where I had to go, so I went past it, but had I not known I would have hesitated doing so. I wonder if they did that on purpose to try to deter people from checking them... Anyways all in all a good day, now we have another gun-totin Pennsylvanian to add to the ranks.