Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default new guy with a ltcf question

whats going ?

i am going to be 21 in Jan. Ive been reading threads and apps and so far i am confused on something..
    a few months ago i was at a low spot in my life and tried to commit suicide
    needless to say the EMT's were called and i was giving first assistence and then taken to the hospital.
    where i was asked if i wanted to be admitted to the phyc ward and stay for 3 days of treatment..which i said yes to because i needed help. i have never been in any trouble with the law except for a fight when i was younger and a speeding ticket.

do any of you think that this will hinder me from getting my ltcf or pass a background check?
    and if i apply should i say no to the “adjudicated as a mental defective” or “committed to any mental institution.” question..
    thank your for the help i just want to be prepared

(York County)

Default Re: new guy with a ltcf question

I don't *think* it will. You must be adjudicated mentally defective, in other words, by a judge.

Doesn't sound like that is what happened.

Otherwise, I really hope that when you suggest that you are ready to own a firearm, that you are correct.

Suicide/depression... not something to play with.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(York County)

If I remember correctly a voluntary stay at a "phyc ward" is no issue.

Just be sure you are no longer that depressed.

(Chester County)

yea i kno like i said at the time i was going thru alot i was in a car accident that left me unable to be my old self for a long time my parents divorsed... alot was thrown on my plate to fast and i lost it.. but
    im good now and the only reason i want a gun is because of where i live these ppl are fools. setting houses on fire you kno one time i went in to pay for gas and some kid tried to steal my car?
    and more and more people are becoming stupid i just dont want to be a victim to some one else gun

(Chester County)

another question is. is there a compartment that i can install in my car to lock my gun in a "car safe" also this one might be a stupid question but if i leave my ammo in the car is there a possibility that it can get hot enough to where it would accidently fire a round?

(Pike County)

IANAL, but as I recall Nate is correct, if YOU signed yourself in it does not prevent you.

That said, PLEASE be sure that you are ready for this step.
    ADD: welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by gf45acp; October 28th, 2009 at 07:49 PM. Reason: add: welcome

(Tioga County)

You can buy safes that attach to your car. As to the ammo cooking off. It might if your car catches fire.

Quote Originally Posted by runnerup View Post
    another question is. is there a compartment that i can install in my car to lock my gun in a "car safe" also this one might be a stupid question but if i leave my ammo in the car is there a possibility that it can get hot enough to where it would accidently fire a round?
    USNRET '61-'81

These are highly recommended: Center Of Mass IN-CAR GUN SAFE

(Butler County)

I posted about this issue in another thread: http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...-hospital.html

Here is the post:
    Quote Originally Posted by JavaProgrammer View Post
    I dealt with this issue recently. Back in March, I attempted to purchase a rifle at an FFL and had my first encounter with Form 4473. I had a problem with question 11.f.
    Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective (which includes having been adjudicated incompetent to manage your own affairs) or have you ever been committed to a mental institution?
    The wording of this is a little ambiguous. Are they talking about being involuntarily committed or any treatment at a mental facility? I had been admitted to a mental hospital when I was a teenager, but I was not involuntarily committed. I was unsure what the appropriate answer was, so I didn't complete the transaction and left the store without making a purchase.

Later that day, I used Google to research this issue. I wanted to know how exactly the law defines the word "committed." I started by looking at the Gun Control Act of 1968. This law uses the word "committed," but it does not define the word. I then went to the NRA-ILA website. I found their description of H.R. 2640: the NICS Improvement Amendments Act. In this description, they talk about voluntary admissions.
    Neither current federal law, nor H.R. 2640, would prohibit gun possession by people who have voluntarily sought psychological counseling or checked themselves into a hospital:

* Current law only prohibits gun possession by people who have been “adjudicated as a mental defective” or “committed to any mental institution.” Current BATFE regulations specifically exclude commitments for observation and voluntary commitments. Records of voluntary treatment also would not be available under federal and state health privacy laws.

* Similarly, voluntary drug or alcohol treatment would not be reported to NICS. First, voluntary treatment is not a “commitment.” Second, current federal law on gun possession by drug users, as applied in BATFE regulations, only prohibits gun ownership by those whose “unlawful [drug] use has occurred recently enough to indicate that the individual is actively engaged in such conduct.”

* In short, neither current law nor this legislation would affect those who voluntarily get psychological help. No person who needs help for a mental health or substance abuse problem should be deterred from seeking that help due to fear of losing Second Amendment rights.
    I also found another commentary on H.R. 2640 by Clayton Cramer. In this commentary, he discusses the definition of the word "committed."
    Korwin was concerned that the language of HR 2640 refers to commitment, but not “involuntary commitment.” It turns out that the legal language is a bit confusing on this. A person that enters a mental hospital and asks for help isn’t, contrary to what you might logically think, “voluntarily committed.” This is either “informal admission” or “conditional voluntary admission.” A “voluntary commitment” means that you have voluntarily given over to the hospital substantial authority to decide when you are well enough to leave—and this is not all that common.
    I also informally talked with a lawyer about this. He said that the word "committed" does mean "involuntarily committed." Finally satisfied that I was not a prohibited person, I went to a gun shop, filled out Form 4473, and walked out of there with a new rifle. I don't have an LTCF yet, but that is next on my list. I am confident that I will be able to get one without a problem.

Edit: I now have an LTCF.
    I am going to echo what others have said. You need to be confident in your mental state before you purchase a firearm. It is a concern that your suicide attempt was as recent as a few months ago. I recommend that you consider waiting another year or two before purchasing firearms, especially if you are on anti-depressants. Some of these drugs have to be in your system for a least a month before they start having an impact. It can take time for your doctor to find the right drugs at the right dosage. Even if your doctor finds the right medication, some anti-depressants can become ineffective over time, requiring your doctor to find a different drug for you. This is why I recommend waiting longer. It is possible that your mental state may not be stable while you and your doctor are finding the right drugs.

When dealing with depression, it can be difficult to make judgements about your own mental state. I suggest that you talk with your friends, your family, and your doctor about firearm ownership. Other people may be able to observe your mood and behavior more objectively than you can. If you do decide to purchase a firearm, then you should ask your friends and family to watch your mood. If you do have problems in the future, you should legally give your firearms to a trusted friend or family member. You can have them back when you are better.

Ultimately, this is your decision. We can recommend that you proceed with caution, but we can't prevent you from purchasing a firearm. Exercise your liberty responsibly and use good judgement.
    Proud friend of the Noble family.

(Pike County)

Myth Busters did a story about how hot it had to get for ammunition to go off. I think it was about 500 degrees. So I think you are safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast