Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Non-hunters wearing orange

My buddy told me about all the hikers and horse-riders at Jacobsburg everytime he hunts birds there. No one, other than hunters, is wearing orange. I know it isn't law, but shouldn't the hunting zones be closed to non-hunters or should they be forced to wear orange during the season or be subject to a fine, just like hunters? I can see the hunting lands getting less and less because of hunter and non-hunter conflicts increasing.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Non-hunters wearing orange

in theory they should...going out during rifle season you would have to be stupid to walk in the woods without wearing orange
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Theory is crap. I'm talking about a push to make it mandatory. I've run into some of these people and their attitude is that since they aren't hunting its the hunters job to keep them safe. Now to a point it is. Safe hunting practices keep injuries and conflicts to a minimum. I feel that some of these people are trying to fill an anti-hunting agenda at the cost of their own safety.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by spblademaker View Post
    Theory is crap. I'm talking about a push to make it mandatory. I've run into some of these people and their attitude is that since they aren't hunting its the hunters job to keep them safe. Now to a point it is. Safe hunting practices keep injuries and conflicts to a minimum. I feel that some of these people are trying to fill an anti-hunting agenda at the cost of their own safety.
    Did you happen to offer to buy the blaze gear for them?

ETA: Yes it makes sense. It would also make sense to have major reflective gear with you ever time you are walking around traffic at night too ... do you?
    Last edited by -JD-; October 27th, 2009 at 04:24 PM.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

(Northumberland County)

My buddy told me about all the hikers and horse-riders at Jacobsburg everytime he hunts birds there. No one, other than hunters, is wearing orange. I know it isn't law, but shouldn't the hunting zones be closed to non-hunters or should they be forced to wear orange during the season or be subject to a fine, just like hunters? I can see the hunting lands getting less and less because of hunter and non-hunter conflicts increasing.
    I dont know what "hunting zones" are. I have lived on the edge of State Game Lands all my life, but never heard the term hunting zones, and I think its because the SGLs are NOT designated as areas only for persons to hunt in.
    Forcing other people (non-hunters) to wear orange is stupid. More rules, laws, regulations is crap. I cant walk on State land without wearing a certain color? Gimme a break.
    YOU are the one hunting, YOU make sure what you are shooting at and what is beyond it.
    OTOH, walking in SGLs during hunting season is also stupid and would never do it.
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Allegheny County)

i routinely hike with people who have never hunted.

they typically aren't even aware that it is hunting season and don't even think about wearing orange. it isn't that they have any hunting agenda, they just don't know any better.

i always bring a bunch of el-cheapo walmart orange vests and distribute them to everyone. i inform them about when hunting season is and why they should wear vests.

for the most part, they all thank me and keep the vests and wear them from that point forward.

i think better awareness campaigns that are specifically designed to reach the non-hunting public might be a better solution than making a law most non-hunters won't even know about anyway. i have seen some state forest trails posted with warnings to wear orange during hunting season, but not most. of course, getting people to read the warnings is another issue...

i grew up hunting and lived in a hunting town. even people who did not hunt knew about hunting and so i kinda just figured everyone did. but, people who grow up in cities or even rural places where hunting is not popular just really do not know anything about hunting. they've just never been exposed to it. it just never occurs to them that it is hunting season, and they should be wearing orange. there isn't any agenda behind it...they just don't know because they've never been informed.
    F*S=k

(Lancaster County)

I've run into some of these people and their attitude is that since they aren't hunting its the hunters job to keep them safe. Now to a point it is.

To a point??? You either know what your target is or you don't.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikepro8 View Post
    OTOH, walking in SGLs during hunting season is also stupid and would never do it.
    yeah. i think SGLs are funded out of hunting license revenue rather than general taxpayer revenue. if so, i wouldn't be terribly opposed to them being closed to non-hunters during hunting season.

state forest and state parks, though, no way. like you mentioned, those lands are paid for by the general public which means the general public has the right to use them. and it is up to each user to not endanger other users...which means it is up to the hunter to not shoot anyone--whether they are wearing orange or not.

still, though, i really think most non-hunters would wear orange if they understood the need and the seasons. but, better education/advertising is needed to get the message out.
    F*S=k

While I certainly do not think it should be made mandatory, non-hunters wearing orange is a SMART thing to do. In fact, the SGL near my house has signs, "Hunters wear orange, so should you."

On the other hand, I don't feel I would ever mistake a person for the game I was pursuing, so I am not too terribly worried about shooting someone that isn't wearing orange.

The ONLY way I can see this being a problem is a hunter that isn't vigilante enough in following the rule of being aware what is beyond his target. A hiker wearing orange would be much easier to spot behind a target than a normally clothed person.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    On the other hand, I don't feel I would ever mistake a person for the game I was pursuing, so I am not too terribly worried about shooting someone that isn't wearing orange.
    How about this guy?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast