Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Revolver holster suggestions?

Right now Im using a simple IWB holster to carry my charter arms .38 (snubbie revolver) and was wondering if anyone here could offer any suggestions for a holster, doesn't have to be IWB, I just want to know of good options form folks who have used them - and retention features of any holsters as well.

Thanks!

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Revolver holster suggestions?

I'm not sure if it'll fit your revolver, but I have a S&W 642 and use this SERPA Active Retention Holster. This is just a photo of it. http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/alternateforce_2074_44127608

I purchased it through MidwayUSA for about $30 shipped. It comes with the paddle and belt attachments. It's also adjustable for the cant. Personally, I love it.

Here's midways size, fit chart. Mine is model # 410520BK-R
    http://media.midwayusa.com/midwayusa..._Fit_Chart.pdf

Here's the midway link.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=938800

The picture threw me off so I called them to make sure it would fit my revolver. About 4 days later it was at my front door. They're not on sale anymore but they are very nice holsters.
    Last edited by Peddler; October 27th, 2009 at 10:36 AM.

(Franklin County)

I did a quick Google search to see if the Serpa fits your revolver. I didn't see anything, but I remember doing the same search for my 642 and found nothing. Perhaps searching Serpa, using the model number for your revolver would turn up something.

I remember getting frustrated trying to find a retention holster for my snubby because it's my primary carry revolver. Patience paid off though. I also wanted to suggest a great IWB holster I purchased for my 642. It's not a crossbreed but very similar and costs much less. http://www.kholster.com/products.htm

There's a thread about the Kholster here on the forum. The owner is fantastic to do business with and his shipping is lightning fast!

I bought the Little Moon and I love it also.
    Last edited by Peddler; October 27th, 2009 at 10:56 AM.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm a little wary of the lower leveled serpas because of how easy it is to strip the gun from the holster. I had one for my XD and was easily able to pull the gun from the holster while doing some exercises with a friend on retention. Retention strap seems to be the best, and the serpa does beat some of the other holsters out there. I think this is the advantage that CC - IWB around the appendix brings, it's a hard to see/reach spot, but not impossible. Would make it difficult for someone to come up from behind and do so though.

I know there's no fobus model for my charter but it fits some of the smith models as well.

I think it might come down to there not being a perfect solution, but I am definitely grateful for the suggestions. I will research them some more, maybe there's something different to the serpa for revolvers than there is for autos.

Not sure if they make one that will fit your rig or not, but i've always had great experience w/ the safariland 328, which is an OWB leather pancake w/ thumb strap. They can be had for under $40 so i've got one for most of my guns.

(Northampton County)

I have an old Bianchi IWB with thumbstrap for my Taurus as well as a DeSantis pancake with strap that both seemed to work very well. I haven't used them in probably 15 years though, I had the hammer bobbed and the straps do me no good.