Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Armi Galesi .. Old Italian Pistol Experts...step inside!

I am trying to find any info on an old .25 cal pistol that my grandpap bought years ago. It is stamped Armi-Galesi-Brescia-Brevetto Cal 6.35 on the slide and it has Made in Italy, 1957 and some other symbols on the right side. It has clear plexiglass grips on it. It is an interesting gun...but I'd like to know some background on it! Here are some pics...click for larger views.

Last edited by RocketFoot; December 28th, 2016 at 10:58 AM.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Lancaster County)

Lightbulb Re: Old Italian Pistol Experts...step inside!

Well, I wouldn't consider myself old, but I do know a little about the gun in question. The gun is made by "Galesi Pistols" from Collebeato (Brescia), Italy Manufactured by "Industria Armi Galesi". Your gun is the Galesi Model 6 Pocket Automatic Pistol. The model 6 came in .22 long or .25 Automatic (6.35mm) has a 6 shot magazine. Barrel length is 2 1/4 in. and overall length is 4 3/8 in. It weighs about 11 oz. and has fixed sights. It only came in the blued finish. had plastic stocks and began production around 1930. In 1993 it was valued around $120, I'm not sure of it's worth now.

There was also a Galesi model 9 that was larger and came in .22, .32, and .380.
    it was 5 7/8 in. long and had a weight of about 21 oz.

I hope this helps! It is always nice to have old guns handed down from generation to generation. It is not always about how much they are worth monitarily either, it boils down to sentimental value. Hang on to it. It is an interesting piece.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Old Italian Pistol Experts...step inside!

Thanks for the info...I figured the grips were fabricated and I did find a sparse selection of pics on Google.Images with either black or ivory grips sporting an AG medallion. I would like to find a set of replacement grips if possible...but where would one even begin to look? This gun is sentimental and will never be sold. It was my Pap's and now my Dad's. It will be handed down to me in time.

Thanks again for the info and a hearty +1 to your rep for the effort!
    Last edited by RocketFoot; July 17th, 2007 at 02:04 PM.

(Lancaster County)

I'm glad I could be of service. For your grips you might try.

Vintage Gun Grips Inc.
    1544 Seminola Blvd,
    Suite 136
    Casselberry, Florida 32707
    Phone 407.331.1324
    Fax 407.331.0637

Their web site says they have "ao-G2 17.95 Vintage Pistol Grips - Galesi Model 9 .25 Pistol Grips" they might possibly be model 6 because Model 9 was not made in a .25.

This Guy has some Pearlesque looking grips for the model 6 but he wants $50 for them.
    Robertson Trading Post
    117 Front St
    PO Box 365
    Henderson, Tennessee, USA 38340-0365
    jprbrtsn@charter.net
    731-989-7641
    FFL#1-62-02724

Just keep looking, there out there somewhere!

I also found som more info for you off another web site.

"Galesi-Brescia - Blue -
    Soc It F.lli Galesi-Brescia 635 Cal serial #475065 Made in Italy stamped in English pfs on top and xxi stamped on right body next to handgrip I have found a lot of these pistols that are 22 caliber but I cant seem to find any information on the 635 caliber models If you have any information on these 635 calibers please post it for me . thanks

Answer:
    Industria Armi Galesi, Collebeato of Brescia, Italy was founded before the First World War, and began manufacturing pistols in 1914. The first Galesi pistol was a 6.35mm-blowback design based on the Browning 1906, but without the grip safety. In 1923 improvements were made and a 7.65mm chambering was added.

In 1930, the Model 6, which was based on the Browning 1910, was introduced in 6.35mm and 7.65mm calibres. The Model 6 was striker fired, with concentric recoil spring and no grip safety, sights were a groove in the top of the slide. In 1936, a 9mm short chambering was added which was adopted in small numbers as a substitute for the standard pistol of the Italian armed forces.

In 1950, the Model 6 was overhauled, the principal change being a modification to the rear of the frame, to allow for easier slide removal. The modification became known as the Model 9 and it was produced in .22, 6.35mm and 7.65mm calibres. Hope this helps."

(Westmoreland County)

Sounds good...I'll do some searching! Thanks again for the info...very helpful!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    ...I would like to find a set of replacement grips if possible...but where would one even begin to look?
    There's a guy at every gun show (PAGCA http://www.pgca.us/ ) who carries every part imaginable for old stuff like that. I can't recall the name... I THINK it's Schafer. In Irwin or something like that. I'll see if I can find his card. I broke a part on a WWII piece and thought I'd vomit. I took it and showed it to him, he didn't have the part with him, but I let him take the pistol and not only did he bring the part to the show the next day, but he installed it as well for no charge. That's customer service!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Westmoreland County)

Cool, I am pretty close to Irwin...if he has a shop, I could pay him a visit.

OK, Now I'm really confused. Like most people, this is my dad's handgun. He bought it as a student in Miami (booooo) in 1962. A federal gun act of 1968 banned this weapon in the US after that.
    We found it stuffed in a sock in a box. I did some TLC to it, and polished it, when started fishing for information about it. Dad says he always shot it with .25 rounds. The inscriptions say Cal 6.35, which I learned is the mm measurement. On the slide it says Mod.9.
    SO I thought I had a Mod.9 in a .25 cal. Then I read NHUGHESMD's comment in this thread, and he says the Mod.9 wasn't made in a .25.
    I don't know what to think now.

Oh by the way... The left side grip is gone.

If anyone has any clarification, I'd LOVE to hear back. Thank you very much

Chip

(Westmoreland County)

She's a beaut! My Dad's say's 6.35 on it also...(.25 cal.)

I'm still looking for grip panels for my Dad's...

Thanks brother!! I promise you she was NOT a beaut about noon yesterday. Covered in rust and dirt and dust... it took me forever to get the slide off, even after I learned how to do it. Dad said he'd never cleaned it, so I gave it a good bath in some Hoppe's Powder Solvent. After I cleaned it off I used a lightly-abrasive buffer and a Dremel tool. THen using the Dremel, I went back with a polishing compound and a buffer... Dad says it looks newer now han it did when he bought it.

As for the grips, just go to google and type in GALESI MODEL 9 GRIPS. A few things will pop up. Usually you'll have to trust the descriptions the website gives you. Here's a few I found.

http://www.gun-parts.com/grips1/
    http://vintagegungrips.net/ao-g2.html

By the way.. I'm still learning about it, but the Galesi Mod6 and Mod9 handguns are illegal in several municipalities. I'm leaving the handgun at my parents' house in Virginia... its tough to own weapons in Massachusetts.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast