Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Allegheny County Police Issue - Handgun was taken...

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    My neighbor, with 20-year shooting experience, had an ND last year while cleaning his SIG in .45 (can't recall the model) at home and shot himself in the leg. It's a super nice gun with a lot of custom stuff. Cops came, did the work, took down ALL of this firearm's serial numbers, revoked in LTCF, and took his SIG "for processing".

He wasn't charged with anything so he went to court and got his LTCF back. He went again to get a court order to get his gun back. When he showed up at the station with the court order, they said his gun has been "destroyed" and he'll have to file with small claim court to get the $ back from the City (I live in Philly). He figured it wasn't worth any more headache and dropped it. I tried to convince him otherwise, but without success.

I am not sure if you can do anything right now since the gun is still "in processing". It's outrageous, but I don't know if any lawyer is "hungry" enough. Let us know if you consult a lawyer and have a case when the time comes, I'll contribute what I can toward your "defense" fund. Shit like this pisses me off to no end.

Here's a general question for everyone: can your local representative help you with something like this?

Al
    His gun was destroyed? I am not saying that it wasn't, but it reminds me of something I was witness to that happened years ago. I was a melting department foreman at a foundry in New Jersey. Every once in a while the county sheriffs would show up in a truck loaded with firearms and other items to be burned or melted down. As a foreman I had to be with them and make sure the items all went into the furnace. As I was admiring some of the weapons a deputy said to me "don't worry, we've already picked through them and taken out the good ones for ourselves, these are the leftovers and the junk"! Just saying, maybe somebody wanted a Sig!
    I hope your friends re thinks his stance and goes after the responsible parties.

The question I have is: Did the Philly police really destroy mythaeus's neighbor's gun... or is it part of someone else's collection now?

WOW, that is sure a load of horse crap

ETA: Whooops... looks like Driver400 and I had the same thought, I was slow on the trigger though

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Driver400 View Post
    His gun was destroyed? I am not saying that it wasn't, but it reminds me of something I was witness to that happened years ago. I was a melting department foreman at a foundry in New Jersey. Every once in a while the county sheriffs would show up in a truck loaded with firearms and other items to be burned or melted down. As a foreman I had to be with them and make sure the items all went into the furnace. As I was admiring some of the weapons a deputy said to me "don't worry, we've already picked through them and taken out the good ones for ourselves, these are the leftovers and the junk"! Just saying, maybe somebody wanted a Sig!
    I hope your friends re thinks his stance and goes after the responsible parties.
    Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    The question I have is: Did the Philly police really destroy mythaeus's neighbor's gun... or is it part of someone else's collection now?

WOW, that is sure a load of horse crap

ETA: Whooops... looks like Driver400 and I had the same thought, I was slow on the trigger though
    Not only you 2, even HE thought that someone now has it in his private collection. I really hope if it were and it resurfaced in a crime, shit-storm will come down onto the PPD.

Al

(Luzerne County)

I don't agree with his decision, but I feel that he's free to make such a decision.
    Yup, and his decision affects the next guy. For that reason I'm with Curmudgeon, and his decision, that your friend is part of the problem.
    The question is not what he is obligated to do or not do, but what we think of him for making the choice he did.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Luzerne County)

My neighbor, with 20-year shooting experience, had an ND last year while cleaning his SIG in .45 (can't recall the model) at home and shot himself in the leg. It's a super nice gun with a lot of custom stuff. Cops came, did the work, took down ALL of this firearm's serial numbers, revoked in LTCF, and took his SIG "for processing".

He wasn't charged with anything so he went to court and got his LTCF back. He went again to get a court order to get his gun back. When he showed up at the station with the court order, they said his gun has been "destroyed" and he'll have to file with small claim court to get the $ back from the City (I live in Philly). He figured it wasn't worth any more headache and dropped it. I tried to convince him otherwise, but without success.

I am not sure if you can do anything right now since the gun is still "in processing". It's outrageous, but I don't know if any lawyer is "hungry" enough. Let us know if you consult a lawyer and have a case when the time comes, I'll contribute what I can toward your "defense" fund. Shit like this pisses me off to no end.

Here's a general question for everyone: can your local representative help you with something like this?

Al

You say he had a court order to get the gun back. Did he report back to the court as to what he was told by the PD?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    You say he had a court order to get the gun back. Did he report back to the court as to what he was told by the PD?
    Good point! I'll check with him next time I see him. The PD told him that the only way forward is to file with small claim court. It would be interesting to see what the court has to say about the unauthorized destruction of personal properties.

Al

(Butler County)

Good point! I'll check with him next time I see him. The PD told him that the only way forward is to file with small claim court. It would be interesting to see what the court has to say about the unauthorized destruction of personal properties.

Al
    In Philly? Bastards would probably tell you "if you are willing to spend enough money to appeal this to commonwealth/superior court, you can have your $1000 gun back."

Not only you 2, even HE thought that someone now has it in his private collection. I really hope if it were and it resurfaced in a crime, shit-storm will come down onto the PPD.

Al
    They'd probably just "trace it back" to your neighbor and HE'D be in a world of shit

I would file a stolen firearm report with the Pennsylvania State Police. Just in case that Sig "accidentally" wasn't destroyed. Eventually when someone tries to sell it, they will be in for a mighty big surprise.

(Allegheny County)

My handgun is officially getting returned to me. I have to call the Allegheny County Police Department Evidence lockup to schedule a pickup time to get my firearm.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast