Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default I think it's time to start playing offense

I've had it with trying not to be seen as the nut-job just because we want to hold fast to the rights God gave us. Below is a copy of a letter I just sent to my state rep & senator. Flame away if you want, I don't care.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Dear Representative XXXX-

I am writing to express my strong opposition to HB 1733, HB 1734, HB 1744 and HB 1746. All of these taken together are attempts to circumvent the Uniform Firearms Act, remove the Attorney General from having to comply with due process, create 'super citizens' out of Law Enforcement personnel, remove state pre-emption from Philadelphia so that they might write their own gun bans in violation of the state and federal constitutions, and re-introduce the criminalization of crime victims due to non-reporting of stolen firearms in 24 hours.

I quite frankly am fed up with the continued attacks on my God given rights, and am tired of always playing defense in the state legislature to people who will not enforce the existing crime laws. I am asking you to not only oppose these new bills, I am demanding as a law-abiding tax-paying citizen that we start to knock these gun rights terrorists on their backsides. I want the following legislation introduced and passed:

1. Pass HB 641 implementing the Castle Doctrine in Pennsylvania and removing the risk of civil litigation against a person who defended himself with force from the criminal or his family.

2. Pass SB 738 requiring the Pennsylvania State Police to eliminate and destroy the de-facto gun registration database they have gleaned from the PICS.

3. Eliminate the PICS. There is no need for this with the NICS in place and creates further opportunities for our gun rights to be violated.

4. Eliminate the requirement for a license to carry concealed firearms. Since Pennsylvania is a "shall-issue" with no requirements for formal training before obtaining the permit, there is no logical reason to maintain the requirement to ask the state for permission to exercise my second-amendment rights and to defend myself.

5. Introduce and pass legislation removing ALL "gun-free zones" in the state. It is ridiculous that only criminals can be armed in schools, court houses, the state capitol and state parks.

6. Introduce and pass legislation making it a felony for a state assemblyman or senator to introduce, sponsor or co-sponsor legislation that infringes on or could be construed to infringe on gun rights. Impeachment proceedings are to be required with jail time and removal of all accrued state benefits shall be imposed on one so convicted. The convicted assemblyman or senator would also be subject to civil litigation.

If Fast Eddy wants a special session on firearms, I say we give him one he'll never forget.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: I think it's time to start playing offense

Welcome Pat!

Just wanted to know- can I copy this to send to my (worthless [Philly]) reps? I would appreciate it - I like your style

Let me know.

BTW - I REALLY like number six - we should call it the "hands off" provision.
    NEED should never enter into a discussion about RIGHTS

(York County)

Flame away hell, I applaud your efforts!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pat T View Post
    I've had it with trying not to be seen as the nut-job just because we want to hold fast to the rights God gave us. Below is a copy of a letter I just sent to my state rep & senator. Flame away if you want, I don't care.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Dear Representative XXXX-

I am writing to express my strong opposition to HB 1733, HB 1734, HB 1744 and HB 1746. All of these taken together are attempts to circumvent the Uniform Firearms Act, remove the Attorney General from having to comply with due process, create 'super citizens' out of Law Enforcement personnel, remove state pre-emption from Philadelphia so that they might write their own gun bans in violation of the state and federal constitutions, and re-introduce the criminalization of crime victims due to non-reporting of stolen firearms in 24 hours.

I quite frankly am fed up with the continued attacks on my God given rights, and am tired of always playing defense in the state legislature to people who will not enforce the existing crime laws. I am asking you to not only oppose these new bills, I am demanding as a law-abiding tax-paying citizen that we start to knock these gun rights terrorists on their backsides. I want the following legislation introduced and passed:

1. Pass HB 641 implementing the Castle Doctrine in Pennsylvania and removing the risk of civil litigation against a person who defended himself with force from the criminal or his family.

2. Pass SB 738 requiring the Pennsylvania State Police to eliminate and destroy the de-facto gun registration database they have gleaned from the PICS.

3. Eliminate the PICS. There is no need for this with the NICS in place and creates further opportunities for our gun rights to be violated.

4. Eliminate the requirement for a license to carry concealed firearms. Since Pennsylvania is a "shall-issue" with no requirements for formal training before obtaining the permit, there is no logical reason to maintain the requirement to ask the state for permission to exercise my second-amendment rights and to defend myself.

5. Introduce and pass legislation removing ALL "gun-free zones" in the state. It is ridiculous that only criminals can be armed in schools, court houses, the state capitol and state parks.

6. Introduce and pass legislation making it a felony for a state assemblyman or senator to introduce, sponsor or co-sponsor legislation that infringes on or could be construed to infringe on gun rights. Impeachment proceedings are to be required with jail time and removal of all accrued state benefits shall be imposed on one so convicted. The convicted assemblyman or senator would also be subject to civil litigation.

If Fast Eddy wants a special session on firearms, I say we give him one he'll never forget.

Bravo !! I Like it......................
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

(Erie County)

Just wanted to know- can I copy this to send to my (worthless [Philly]) reps? I would appreciate it - I like your style

Let me know.
    Guys, if any of this could help you in our fight to preserve our gun rights, by all means use it!! Enough is enough already.

Not sure if this is a "flame", but several of these points are non-starters.

PICS is part of NICS, since the PA State Police are the local point of contact. They administer NICS. If you eliminate PICS, then your problems with erroneous NICS denials will have to be addressed with some Federal flunky in Virginia or wherever. I've spoken with PICS personnel a lot on behalf of clients, and I prefer dealing with local officials, since I have more ability to talk with my State Reps or the PSP hierarchy. Local is better than national, trust me.

PA is "shall issue" if you meet the criteria for criminal history, psych adjudications, and age. There really are people who shouldn't be carrying firearms, and I'll bet most of us could name a couple of them. The LTCF means that your eligibility to carry a weapon won't be second-guessed by every cop you meet.

We'd still have the Federal gun-free zones, including schools (Congress re-enacted the Federal statute after the Lopez decision) and courthouses.

I'm pretty sure (but less than 100% certain) that this is a fundamental constitutional issue that couldn't be addressed by a simple statute. Even if it could, there is ZERO chance of any legislature anywhere passing such a law.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post

I'm pretty sure (but less than 100% certain) that this is a fundamental constitutional issue that couldn't be addressed by a simple statute. Even if it could, there is ZERO chance of any legislature anywhere passing such a law.
    The law says I can not rob people so if I rob people I can go to jail. The law says I must stop for red lights so if I don't stop at a red light I can get a ticket.

The 2ed Amendment says "Congress shall pass no law" and has pass lots of the very laws the constitution says they can't so why has no one sent them to jail?

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    PICS is part of NICS, since the PA State Police are the local point of contact. They administer NICS. If you eliminate PICS, then your problems with erroneous NICS denials will have to be addressed with some Federal flunky in Virginia or wherever. I've spoken with PICS personnel a lot on behalf of clients, and I prefer dealing with local officials, since I have more ability to talk with my State Reps or the PSP hierarchy. Local is better than national, trust me.
    Well, the upside of this would be that people committed under section 302 would not be prohibited since even the Feds consider Section 302's to be unconstitutional as there is a lack of due process, unlike true adjudication.

PA is "shall issue" if you meet the criteria for criminal history, psych adjudications, and age. There really are people who shouldn't be carrying firearms, and I'll bet most of us could name a couple of them.
    This is probably not the thread, but I wouldn't go so far as to assume that everyone agrees that there are free people that shouldn't be carrying a firearm.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by NineseveN View Post
    This is probably not the thread, but I wouldn't go so far as to assume that everyone agrees that there are free people that shouldn't be carrying a firearm.
    And those same people, i'm sure you'd agree, shouldn't own guns either. Given that there's really no real standard in this state for getting a LTCF higher than the standards set for purchasing a handgun, what's the point of a LTCF other than to collect a fee and make us all think we're asking for a privilege rather than exercising a right?

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    And those same people, i'm sure you'd agree, shouldn't own guns either. Given that there's really no real standard in this state for getting a LTCF higher than the standards set for purchasing a handgun, what's the point of a LTCF other than to collect a fee and make us all think we're asking for a privilege rather than exercising a right?
    I think you hit the nail on the head. It's a source of money and a feel-good measure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast