Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Venison mix with pork

for all you guys that process your own deer - what % of pork to venison do you mix for ground?

Thanks
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Venison mix with pork

Most of the places I know of do a 60% venison 40% pork .... but I have heard of anything from 25% pork up to 50%... it what YOU like... I personally like the 60/40....

Good luck.. enjoy... AND if you have TOOOOO much venison I would be willing to relieve you of some of it...lol

(Dauphin County)

I do 1/3 pork or 33%/66%.
    For 100lbs deer that would be 50lbs of pork. That 150lbs of meat in the end.

(Chester County)

I do 1/3 pork. Some people like more, some like less. Don't be afraid to experiment a little. Everyone has different taste. That's the beauty of doing this yourself, you make it the way you like it.

(Bucks County)

None! You don't need it. The butcher we use from camp is in Rosetto/East Bangor and he will do it either way but we always got it w/ out the pork. We get a large plastic bag of ground venison that we all split [our cabin shares, if you were there you get a share] by hand same as we split up the steaks, loins & chops.

When we do our own at camp [just me and my neighbor on Saturdays] all the scraps w/ out tallow & silverskin go in a large zip-loc and gets taken home to Mom who has a grinder for her Kitchen Aid mixer. She runs it thru twice puts it in quart freezer zip locks making 1/4" thick squares that freeze really well and weigh around a pound.

I never have a problem w/ a burger staying together and we make alot of ground in caserole and taco style dishes where it doesn't matter anyway.

(Monroe County)

Any tricks / tips for removing the silvery skin stuff? takes FOR EVER!
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

was York, now it's Pawley's Island, South Carolina

I vary the amount of pork based on what I'm going to use it for. I grind what I need right before I use it, so I have some flexibility. For meatloaf and stuff I don't need or want the extra fat pork brings in, I go with 25% pork max. For burgers or meatballs, I go with close to a 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Any tricks / tips for removing the silvery skin stuff? takes FOR EVER!
    put the silver side down, cut down to the membrane and tilt your blade a tad and push away from you with a back and forth motion,, kind of like filleting a fish.
    FJB

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    put the silver side down, cut down to the membrane and tilt your blade a tad and push away from you with a back and forth motion,, kind of like filleting a fish.
    I'll give that a try... this is taking for ever, just finished another bag of meat (gallon bags)... I have 2 more to go, 2 down...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    It helps if the meat is chilled first.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast