Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Have you left a deer while going back for help?

The thread about the deer carts made me think of this one. Have you ever shot a deer and left it until you've gone back to the truck for your cart, or to get help moving the deer?

I've considered doing this in the event I get a deer. Rather than bring my cart in with me, then having to lock it to a tree and hoping it doesn't get stolen, I was gonna leave the cart in the truck until I get a deer, then hope the deer is still there when I get back to it.

Have any of you done this?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Have you left a deer while going back for help?

I never have, nor do I have any type of cart. Some places I hunt I would rather just grunt it out once than to make an extra trip and back.

On the other hand if I am hunting with a group and someone has a quad I will drag to the point we can get the quad in and drag with the quad the rest of the way.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    The thread about the deer carts made me think of this one. Have you ever shot a deer and left it until you've gone back to the truck for your cart, or to get help moving the deer?

I've considered doing this in the event I get a deer. Rather than bring my cart in with me, then having to lock it to a tree and hoping it doesn't get stolen, I was gonna leave the cart in the truck until I get a deer, then hope the deer is still there when I get back to it.

Have any of you done this?
    i highly doubt most hunters carry bolt cutters with them, and a gunshot would be too obvious, get one of those heavy duty combination cable locks, problem solved, they only cost 10 bux at target or walmart.

(Schuylkill County)

I'm usually able to do it myself, but I usually go with my brother-in-law, so if I'm somewhere where I could use some assistance, he's not too far away.

But technically, no, I've never left a deer. I know in certain areas, i wouldn't do it.. because people are peckers. But idk, I guess it's all up to you.
    III%

(Union County)

Lightbulb Re: Have you left a deer while going back for help?

try a walkie-talkie/radio. jeeesh, do I have to think of everything?

What's that you say? hunting alone? seriously, if you are not in good enough shape to be dragging a deer out by yourself, you should probably not be hunting solo/without someone w/in radio range. Just MHO

(Monroe County)

Yup, I have. Shoot it see it drop go find whoever I'm hunting with and come back.

I don't leave it over night or anything like that but an hour won't make a difference (unless its really hot)
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
    try a walkie-talkie/radio. jeeesh, do I have to think of everything?

What's that you say? hunting alone? seriously, if you are not in good enough shape to be dragging a deer out by yourself, you should probably not be hunting solo/without someone w/in radio range. Just MHO
    Now come on, lets not degrade this thread with this BS.......Even people in good shape have been known to have heart attacks! I'm secure enough in my manhood that I don't need to prove to anybody that I'm strong enough to drag a deer. Why should I drag when I don't have to?

(Luzerne County)

A little trick: If you bag a deer and have to leave for help. Tag as normal. take a section, any section of the new license and roll it up tight. In the rear hoof of a deer there is a space between there toes. Push the rolled up license there. If it is stolen call the PGC. The will look pretty hard and stop all hunters they see. They would just love to nab this someone and chalk up a big fine.

(Bucks County)

I've left a tagged doe strapped on the hitch haul w/ the truck backed into a spot making it hard to see while hunting the rest of the day.

Nearby my BIL lost one when the blood trail stopped close to the road. We feel some 'road hunters' saw it fall and grabbed it, tossed it in the truck and haulled ass b/4 he got that far down the blood trail...this was on opening day while I was there on a thursday and off on a short spur to a gate & private land.

Less people & a spot the 'road hunters' don't cruise...YMMV

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    A little trick: If you bag a deer and have to leave for help. Tag as normal. take a section, any section of the new license and roll it up tight. In the rear hoof of a deer there is a space between there toes. Push the rolled up license there. If it is stolen call the PGC. The will look pretty hard and stop all hunters they see. They would just love to nab this someone and chalk up a big fine.
    I have heard of hunters doing this, but not in the hoof. I have heard of guys inserting an empty cartridge into one of the deer's nostrils. Then if approached by the owner and the game warden, all the hunter needs to do is tell the WCO to check theleft or right nostril and there will be a spent .30/30 cartidge there, etc. If found they know they have their culprit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast